Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ahh the memories

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2012 - 1:02 PM

The situation at work has been getting to me a little recently, those of you who know me will realise that means it must be really bad.

At lunchtime today I went looking for a pic in my portfolio, to post for the daily topic. What actually happened was that I got hooked, going through my old photos, looking at the various techniques I have tried (with varying levels of success) and reading the comments.

What became obvious was the following:

- Some of my photos got less attention than I thought they deserved
- Some of my photos got more attention than I thought they deserved
- I can instantly recognise the location of 99% of my photos (which is a miracle according to Robbie)
- Thanks to photography in general and ePhotozine in particular I've been to some spectacular places, been frozen, boiled, sandblasted and generally weather beaten. Got up at stupid o'clock, gone to bed at stupid o'clock, drunk too much (occasionally), been a taxi/sleeper for those who have drunk too much (frequently), met a fantastic bunch of people (some of whom I would even call friends) and generally had a brilliant time.

The result of this has been to buck my spirits right up and make me realise that, no matter how cr*p my work week is at the moment I have something really good to fall back on (in addition to Robbie that is, who doesn't mind me falling on her Wink ).

So, if you're feeling low, look back at your portfolio and remember what you've achieved and who you've met.

Have a good weekend all.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Apr 2012 - 1:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53668 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2012 - 1:09 PM

Thanks Ian, what a super uplifting thought as the end of a long week - roll on the weekend.
Thank you yourself for sharing such interesting photo's with the rest of us as well.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122305 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2012 - 2:01 PM

Thanks Ian. I've just looked through my portfolio and I feel depressed....
Tongue

digicammad
20 Apr 2012 - 2:09 PM

lol, I know your portfolio so I know you must be joking. Smile

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2012 - 2:11 PM

I've just looked through Ian's portfolio and it's cheered me up no end.

Things could be a lot worse Wink

Last Modified By Boyd at 20 Apr 2012 - 2:12 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2012 - 2:18 PM

^^^ LOL

digicammad
20 Apr 2012 - 2:28 PM

Rotfl!! I thought you'd be having your hot chocolate and biccies in your retirement home at this time Boyd!

User_Removed
20 Apr 2012 - 6:43 PM

Nice one Ian. Wink

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315604 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Apr 2012 - 7:08 PM

I looked through my portfolio (took me about 5 seconds)....

Quote: been a taxi/sleeper for those who have drunk too much (frequently)

And very comfortable your car was too.

Grin

Big Bri
20 Apr 2012 - 7:09 PM

Actually, I bumped into Boyd at Focus and that cheered me up Smile

Big Bri
20 Apr 2012 - 7:10 PM

Think I might go out with my new G12 tomorrow and see if I remember how to take photos. Then I might sell all my SLR gear and buy a motorbike.

digicammad
20 Apr 2012 - 10:54 PM

I can see you on a Harley or a big old BSA twin Smile

Big Bri
21 Apr 2012 - 12:09 AM

Nah, something Japanese and insanely fast Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2012 - 1:01 AM

Quote: Nah, something Japanese and insanely fast

honda-hobbit.jpg

Grin Grin

779HOB
779HOB  21028 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Apr 2012 - 7:21 AM

Itís true a look through our archives is a good thing to do. Someone is currently sorting and tagging my work from 2007 to 2012 Ė about 76,000 images. I tend to take, process, dump in a folder and run. But this sorting and tagging process has meant me having to look at older images and put names and places to them.

I nearly quit my job this week but looking at the old images also made me remember that the purpose of me working where I do is to fund my photography and give me the freedom not to have to say yes to photo work I donít want to do.

Some of the photos we found that I like most are of my daughters when they were very little taken on my crappy phone from about 6 years ago.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.