Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Airports and film cameras!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pablophotographer

hello film folks Smile

I intend to take my (pocket) 35mm travel camera NIKON RD2 with me in the cabin bag.

Should I have loaded the film before or after passing the security controls at the airport?

Ideally I would love to have the camera loaded in the house.

Any suggestions? Many thanks Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Mar 2014 - 6:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43667 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Mar 2014 - 6:55 PM

A quick google found this from Heathrow:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/plan-and-book-your-trip/travel-advice/advice-for-...

pablophotographer

Thanks saltireblue.

It doesn't clarify if it is an issue to have it in the camera though...

Anyone with recent experience ? Your help is appreciated Smile

robthecamman
    19 Mar 2014 - 7:51 PM

having film in cameras has never been a problem in the past.x ray security doesnt bother it

pablophotographer

Thanks Rob,

I hope they keep the same practice then, it would be pity to see one of the last black and white Kodak films being wasted, if they ask me to open fully the camera back.

Hmmmm
    that reminds me I have to take out the date battery which is at the the back, in case they have a problem with that! lol

robthecamman
    19 Mar 2014 - 8:49 PM

stop being so picky just take as cameras meant to be.are you taking a tool kit to reassemble it Smile

thewilliam
    19 Mar 2014 - 9:54 PM

I've had security people demand to see inside cameras so I wouldn't load film until you arrive. I've had so many films ruined that I now use digital when travelling by air.

On one trip, I lost all my cross-processed EPP (100 ISO) film: every single frame was affected but some worse than others. Another trip, a batch of TMZ was ruined. In my experience, their blandishments about X ray safety is complete tosh.

The security people work with the X ray kit all day and every day and yet I've never known anyone wear a film badge. That's one workplace where they don't seem overly concerned with basic Elfin Safety.

Dave_Canon
    20 Mar 2014 - 10:00 AM

It is just possible that if the film is in a metal bodied camera, it may receive a little more protection from X Rays. I used to worry about this ten years ago and put the films in my pocket or a bag which I carried. As I went to step through the body scanner, I would tell the security guard that I had these films which could be damage by X Rays. About 9 times our of ten they would look at them and let them through but one in ten would X Ray anyway. Almost all journeys I have taken have been direct so the film was never exposed to X Rays more than twice. I only had a couple of occasions when I thought he film may have been affected. I suspect security is tougher now and X Rays more damaging so there is no easy solution. Could you buy the film at your destination which would at least avoid an outward X Ray.

One other warning is that I was once asked to open the back of my camera at a German airport. I explained that there was a film in the camera and the security guy then asked me to expose a frame. By co-incidence I was already on the last frame so could not wind on. I had to rewind the film and remove in front of him but during this time he became agitated as he did not know what I was doing given that he did not speak English and I did not speak German. He did eventually let me through.

Dave

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2014 - 9:02 PM

I've flown with film around Europe and across the Atlantic on lots of occasions - 35mm, 120 and 4x5 sheet. Never had a single problem with fogging from X-Ray machines.

pablophotographer

I am now snapping and hope to get some results soon, one roll is now ending...

pablophotographer

Expecting the results on paper soon. I calculated my shooting speed with the days of holiday to be 2.4 frames per day.
    One 36 exposures roll full of memories.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.