Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Alhambra.Granada

jarendell 8 95 2 Spain
21 May 2008 5:43PM
Hi.
I am going to Alhambra nr Granada next Monday, but I´ll only be there for a few hours. I am going to do some quick research about the place,but I was wondering if any of you who visit this forum,know the place at all,and if so,do you personally recommend any part in particular?
I´m planning to be there about 5ish p.m. which will probably be not too bad, as I imagine the sun won´t be as harsh (hopefully) and I might have a go at Hdr which I havn´t tried yet.
Any snippets of info would be gratefully received.
James

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevenb e2
11 260 6 England
21 May 2008 6:14PM
I do believe you have to book in advance to visit, worth checking the offical site for details.
I went a few years ago a beautiful place, well worth a visit.

Bill
elowes 10 2.8k United Kingdom
21 May 2008 10:23PM
Booking in advance depends on demand. I didn't at this time of the year and had no problems. You will be given a time slot but once in can stay until it closes.

Some areas of the garden are a bit empty of interest. The main areas are well mark and well frequented!! You will be pushed to find quiet places.

Walk around on your own and look for things to photograph. The main sites are well sign posted and may well have large numbers of visitors.

Look for the detail in some of the buildings.

The Generalife is worth a look if you have time, great garden and lovely fountains.
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
21 May 2008 10:34PM
Lucky thing.

Check it out on google maps to work out where the sun and shadows will be.

Long walk up, so no unnecessary weight. Tripods possibly not permitted (I got told off at the Alcazar the other day for using one - apparently even banned in the garden), likely high contrast even at 5 pm so RAW to adjust exposure, it was all beautiful, but I remember a high garden - I'll see if I have any pictures.
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
21 May 2008 10:41PM
ok, done a quick upload of a scene which you can probably see some potential in, all those regular lines... and this

from a while ago, was from the top of this garden thing... sorry I can't be more specific it was 3 years ago I was there!

have a great time.
elowes 10 2.8k United Kingdom
21 May 2008 10:50PM
Sus

I got told off for carrying my tripod around and legs fully opened. I was not told off for setting it up in any one spot.

The light is usually good enough in the open areas but some detail is hard to do without one. Contrast can be a serious problem though most of my pics seemd OK to me. Not prize winners but OK.

The high garden is the Generalife.

Good place for lunch or tea or dinner if you have the cash is the Parador Hotel. The terrace over looks the gardens and you get good views of the Generalife. The inner courtyrad is a delight.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
21 May 2008 10:56PM
I see on their website that they have an evening opening, which looks separate from the day opening.
As you are not going to be there until late afternoon my be worth staying for.. I assume it implies some sort of floodlighting so gives a different perspective on the place.
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
21 May 2008 11:08PM
I have been four times to date, and would not advise going unless you have booked. It´s possible to get in, but more often than not, unlikely. We have just come back from a month in that area, and whilst I didn´t go this time, we were speaking to some Brits that were advised to just turn up, (by the tourist office, no less) wasted a trip as they could not get in. Same happened to my brother last year as well.
The timed entry is for the Nasrid palaces only, and whilst I have been there, they have been very strict on not allowing tripods. Depends who is on the gate I guess. I have also done the evening visit, and no flash is allowed then, but everybody just seemed to ignore it and flash away! If you have time, take a trip over to the Albaicín, and take some shots of the Alhambra from the mirador at Plaza San Nicolás. Great for evening shots, with maybe some snow still on the Sierra Nevada. If you are parked at the Alhambra, it´s easier to leave the car there, and catch the little bus, that will take you to the top of Albaicín.
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
21 May 2008 11:13PM

Quote:I see on their website that they have an evening opening, which looks separate from the day opening. I assume it implies some sort of floodlighting so gives a different perspective on the place.

Yes, it is separate. It quite difficult, without a flash, as the lighting is certainly not floodlighting, it is as it would have been originally. ie not a lot! It looks lovely, very atmospheric, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The visit is obviously for the palaces only.
jarendell 8 95 2 Spain
21 May 2008 11:45PM
Thanks everyone who has replyed.Its a bit late to go into depth after the footie,will be back tomorrow.
Thanks again.
james
loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
21 May 2008 11:48PM
Make sure there's no event on in the evening....

Loreena Mckinnitt in concert at the Alhambra, with some scenes of the palace.
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
22 May 2008 2:34PM

Quote:Make sure there's no event on in the evening....

Loreena Mckinnitt in concert at the Alhambra, with some scenes of the palace.

I dont think that affects the entry, does it? The concert are normally on the way up to the Generalife gardens, on the right, so that bit is roped off, but that´s away from the nasrid palaces. (which are the only bits open during the evenings)They were setting up during the day when we were there once and it didn´t seem to affect anything.
loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
22 May 2008 4:08PM

Quote:I dont think that affects the entry, does it?

I dunno - I've never been (love to though!). You are probably correct.
collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
23 May 2008 8:49AM
Either before you go to, or when you come out of Alhambra make sure you visit the Arab area of Granada, its just like walking down to the Casbar in Morocco. Very narrow streets with row upon row of Arabian goods and stalls -- very colouful and photogenic, great potential.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.