Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

All in one memory card reader.

ckristoff 10 959 Wales
10 Mar 2008 2:25PM
Friends,

I feel like an idiot right now.

I've just received a 7dayshop all in one memery card reader. The thing I want to know is, how does it work?

I connected it to PC before switching on, computer recognised it and control panel says it's working. But what is it supposed to do?

I've put in an SD card from my wife's Kodak digi compact. I believe the card has 500 photos on it.

The card reader shows a green card to show it is on. When I inserted the SD card, a red light also comes on.

So what do I do next, please?

Frank.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 2:35PM
First off did it come with a drivers file and is it compatable with the version of windows you have?

Normaly after connecting one of these, windows does its found new hardware thing and you have to let it chunter about doing that, giving it a drive Cd if required.

After that point in all the ones I have used it maps the memory card as a removable hard disk. So open My computer and it should be there under a drive lable like F: or something of that nature. You just use windows explorer to navigate the card, just like a hard disk, and copy the files you want onto your hard disk.

One bit of advice, it is best to not delete files from you PC, rather format the memory card in the camera.
bulldozer 8 100 England
10 Mar 2008 2:36PM
Hi Frank,

Open Windows explorer or My Computer and you should see a new drive letter appear representing the slot that the card has occupied in the card reader. You can then view, copy or delete etc the files as you wish from there.

Hope that helps.
John
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
10 Mar 2008 2:40PM
Strawman, Bulldozer,

thank you very much for your swift replies.

I'll go and check it out right away. I didn't think about checking My Computer, with the card installed.

Frank.
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
10 Mar 2008 2:52PM
Ok,

I've found the drive for it, Drive F. So far I only see 3 images. Perhaps it takes a while!

Frank.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2008 4:11PM
Have you checked all the folders?. Some cameras take a new folder ever 100 images, so if you have about 500 pictures, you may have to look in 5 folders.
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
10 Mar 2008 10:16PM
Friends,

I'll be busy for next couple days. THere's something I'm not getting here. I have no drivers or CD.

Nor have I tried the Windows Explorer thing yet.
I may be acting stupid, but at present my father is in hospital waiting for a heart operation.

I'll look in later this week.

Frank.
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
16 Mar 2008 7:48PM
Friends,

a quick update. My father is back in hospital with suspected fluid on the lungs!

Plus I cannot visit him as I have a terrible cold.

I'll keep looking at this thread during the coming week.

Frank.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.