Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Alt tags in images - help please...

jimthistle73 10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2011 4:35PM
So I have a bit of a gap in my pitiful knowledge about the way SEO works. I'm aware that it's A-GOOD-IDEA to alt tag images on the web, but really don't know how to go about doing it.

Ideally, I'd like a bit of freeware (along the lines of Faststone) where I could add alt tags in an idiot-proof fashion - I know next to nothing about coding / html.... Does such a thing exist? If not, is there an easyish way to do it myself?

I have spent a fair while Googling these questions but can only find articles about why they're important, rather than how to actually go about it. I already use Lightroom and Photoshop if that helps any?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2011 4:48PM
Are you talking about alt tagging on epz or on the web , on the web simply add the line
alt=" put your text here "

right after the .jpg" in the code ....
9 Nov 2011 4:54PM
Really? It's that easy?! Yes, I'm talking about general web use rather than EPZ specifically.

So my new photo title might be;

ep123.jpegalt=sunny-day-in-scotland

for instance? Am I right in thinking you should use hyphens?
rheyes 10 73 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2011 5:34PM
Should look like this

img src="ep123.jpg" alt="sunny day in scotland"

Hope that helps.

Richard
9 Nov 2011 7:54PM
Thanks Richard - what's that "img src=" bit please? And are the quote marks yours, or should they be included (can you tell I genuinely know nothing about this!)?

My understanding was that the alt tag was contained within the filename - am I getting it completely wrong?
rheyes 10 73 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2011 7:10AM
Hi.

The img src="" is the part of the code which tells which image is to be used, and yes you need to use the quote marks. I have just had a look at your site and instead of using img src="" it just use's src="".

This link should help you understand alt tags.

I see you use Photium, is there no where within the set up to add an alt tag description without changing the code manually?

I hope that helps

Richard.
pmorgan 8 217 13 England
10 Nov 2011 8:20AM
I use Photium, and I've just checked, this is what it says:

Alt tags are set up automatically for photos you have uploaded to your Gallery that have titles.
pmorgan 8 217 13 England
10 Nov 2011 8:22AM
Sorry, tried to add the other bit, but it won't show on here?

***Edit*** - Just PM'd you the other bit Smile
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2011 8:55AM
If you are ever unsure about html syntax it is often useful to find a web page containing the kind of thing you want to do and then view the page source.

Ian
10 Nov 2011 6:14PM
Thanks for all the info. Sadly, most of the photos on my site are in password protected galleries (weddings), and by necessity are titled only with numbers. The public galleries can all be re-titled though. Will sit and do it one cold evening whilst half-watching telly!

Off to follow link and check that PM, thanks!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.