Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

alternative batteries for D800

woodworth 2 25 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 5:56PM
Does anyone know of alternative (aftermarket) batteries for the D800? I'm sure the Nikon ones are the best but at about 60 each, they don't come cheap!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KONIN e2
3 252 England
27 Jul 2012 6:05PM
try looking on ebay there is usually plenty on there from china
stu
ikett 4 352 England
27 Jul 2012 7:09PM
This is one thing I do not understand!

Quote:Does anyone know of alternative (aftermarket) batteries for the D800?

Spend loads of money on top kit and use cheap batteries, god knows how well they're sealed and what they're made of!!!
justin c 10 4.5k 36 England
27 Jul 2012 7:15PM

Quote:This is one thing I do not understand!

It's quite simple really, some of us begrudge getting ripped off and paying 60 odd pounds for something that can often be just as good for a fraction of the price. Admittedly, not all aftermarket batteries may be created equally, but if you find a good source then the batteries are every bit as good as the over-priced originals.

Quote:god knows how well they're sealed and what they're made of!!!

How many people do you know personally that have had leaking or exploding batteries, not many I'm guessing.
capto e2
2 1.3k 7 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 7:20PM
Batteries from China are half price or less. Would you really risk such an expensive camera with these batteries. Braver than me. Even Nikon have had a recall on their batteries. If Nikon batteries caused a problem I think you would get a better response from them compared to an unknown firm in China. Weigh up the risk carefully.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
27 Jul 2012 7:42PM

Quote:If Nikon batteries caused a problem I think you would get a better response from them compared to an unknown firm in China.

I'm sure that you'd get a response from Nikon, perhaps via the store where you bought their batteries more readily than from a site on ebay but I'm not convinced that Nikon's batteries don't come from the same, or a similar, source.
woodworth 2 25 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 8:23PM
For those outraged at my suggestion of using an aftermarket battery in a D800, please don't fret, I'm not about to put some unknown cheapo Chinese battery in my lovely Nikon, I was merely thinking of using a reputable brand like Hahnel whose version of the Nikon battery (should it exist) would probably be in the 30-40 range instead of the 50-60 range. I don't see the need to use Nikon branded (but most likely not manufactured) products where a quality alternative may exist.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
27 Jul 2012 8:33PM

Quote:I don't see the need to use Nikon branded (but most likely not manufactured) products where a quality alternative may exist.

Couldn't agree more.

I'll assume that you've already looked, so I'm probably teaching you how to suck eggs but the cost of Nikon batteries for my D3100 (aftermarket ones don't seem to exist) varies between 35.00 and about 50.00, depending upon where I look. For the same battery.
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
27 Jul 2012 8:38PM
We use around 8 batteries bought from 7dayshop, they are better batteries than the originals and they have been used on hundreds of weddings over tens of thousands of shots.

The Nikon originals were 50 at the time and the ones we bought were 22 each...

For me, we wont be upgrading to D800's because of the change of batteries. There was nothing wrong with the 700 ones and Nikon should think twice about making unnecessary changes like this when bringing out new equipment.
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 9:54PM

Quote:I'm sure the Nikon ones are the best

You people make me laugh, Do you people seriously believe that Nikon, Canon, Olympus etc make their own batteries, It is Obvious that they commision a factury (usually in china ) to manufacture them for as low price as they can. Then they sell them to brand consious westerners for 60 or more.

I have always used compatible batteries from ebay (6 ish) in my Canon DSLR & the last set lasted longer the the Canon Branded battery that was included with my camera.

I have never had a battery explode, burst into flames or cause harm to my camera or known anyone who has had those problems.

It is a myth put across by the major camera manufacturers to make those who are too scared to experement to buy 60 batteries. (I recently paid 65 for a replacement car battery for gods sake.)
Graysta 9 1.1k England
27 Jul 2012 10:35PM
Look on Amazon I got a Gen one for 46 quid .
thewilliam 6 4.7k
28 Jul 2012 12:54AM
You're sure it's genuine?
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 9:01AM
I have no idea but if you use a non-Nikon battery could that void the warranty on a new camera?
Newdevonian 2 439 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 9:57AM
I too use the EN-EL15 battery in my D7000. I have noticed that all cosher sources have been short on stock. What with natural disasters in Japan and Thailand plus the increase in numbers of cameras using this battery, I think that demand has outstripped supply. I notice that one big on-line kit supplier is now listing availability in 5 - 7 days, whereas before they have been showing "awaiting delivery". Hopefully when there are more batteries than orders, the price will become more reasonable. I have set myself a target price of 50 inc. delivery before I purchase a second battery.
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 12:07PM

Quote:if you use a non-Nikon battery could that void the warranty on a new camera?

Only if it can be 100% proved that the non nikon battery caused the camer to fail in any way.

Your nikon battery is more likely to burst into flames and cause damage to your camera, we all know Nikon have had to recall their own branded batteries as they burst into flames. Recent Nikon battery recall notice

In all of my 9 years on this site have read about anyone who has has camera damage caused by compatible batteries.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.