Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Alternative to the flood filter

paulcr e2
10 1.5k 9 Ireland
20 Mar 2006 3:13AM
Does anyone know of a technique, either here or elsewhere, which could be used as an alternative to the flod filter..Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru 10 4.4k
20 Mar 2006 3:15AM
Yeah, stick things in water and take pics of them Grin
paulcr e2
10 1.5k 9 Ireland
20 Mar 2006 3:21AM
Excellent silly, cheers. Paul
Tooth e2
9 5.8k 227 Ireland
20 Mar 2006 3:23AM
probably the best way, on reflection Wink
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
20 Mar 2006 6:40AM
Alternative to the flood-filter? Take decent photos in the first place and don't get tempted to tart-up your rejects with naff-looking effects filters. That's the alternative!
;o)
paulcr e2
10 1.5k 9 Ireland
20 Mar 2006 7:02AM
While I do appreciate the time it takes to respond to these forum topics, I was hoping for something a tad more constructive. Julian, if or when I get into misty landscapes I'll give you a shout for advice, hows that? PAul
User_Removed 10 3.3k Russian Federation
20 Mar 2006 7:15AM

Quote:hows that?

Possibly a little extreme. Let's keep it civil please, and if we're going to criticise one another's photos, then let's keep it constructive, and in the gallery where it belongs.
takui neko e2
11 849 11 Spain
20 Mar 2006 7:42AM
What about this?
I have not tried but says free and looks like what youre looking for...
User_Removed 11 39 6 Scotland
20 Mar 2006 9:35AM
Hi Paul, a little extreme I know but not very difficult is to use photoshop in conjunction with Bryce (a 3d program). You take your photo into bryce as a straight forward pic or jpg and place it on a water surface which can be changed and altered in a million ways. Hit render and safe the file back out as a Tiff. I have done this many times in my images which have mistakenly been said to have been "Flooded".

Victor
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
20 Mar 2006 9:56AM
Hi Paul,

I didn't intend my comments to be taken personally. It was more a general point about how I see people using the flood-filter around here. No offence meant.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Mar 2006 10:04AM

Quote:how I see people using the flood-filter around here

Badly?
Wink
20 Mar 2006 2:36PM
I guess that includes me.
arnieg e2
10 682 England
20 Mar 2006 3:34PM
digtal elements .com do aurora which is based on water and sky not a free down load
arnie
vambo e2
8 151
20 Mar 2006 3:43PM
If its a one-off (lets hope so Smile, and you are reasonably competent using layers and so on, then you can probably do it in out of the box photoshop. Get yourself a picture of a body of water roughly similar to what you want; create a mask for where you want the water level to appear; paste in a flipped version of the image for reflections, a touch of blur and add a dark to light gradient layer over; then top with a layer using the water image in luminosity mode. Play with opacities till it looks good. If you want to get real fancy you could use the water as a displacement map but thats probably overkill.
paulcr e2
10 1.5k 9 Ireland
21 Mar 2006 12:41AM
Thanks for the replies guys. No probs Jools, was in a bit of a mood yesterday. Cheers Victor, I'll give that a go, I seem to remember you mentioning that before. Vambo, a displacement map sounds like the way to go too, thanks.
My original reason for asking was actually to try improve my PS skills instead of relying on plugins etc. Cheers. PAul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.