Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Always been too proud to ask.

Sooty_1 4 1.2k 202 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 10:35PM
When turned on, the sensor becomes electrostatically charged, and thus will attract dust. Turning it off doesn't automatically dissipate the charge, so turning it off, then immediately removing the lens will still allow the potential charge to attract any dust that is nearby and at a different potential to the sensor. More effective is to tilt the camera lens mount down so nothing inadvertantly falls in (or floats on an air current). The fact is, that dust is an unavoidable consequence of changing lenses (and of using zooms).

I would turn the flash off before removal, in case you short the x-sync when removing it, as it might give you a shock, but you don't need to turn off the camera. Some older flashes required an open flash to discharge the capacitor after you finished using it, as the dump circuits weren't particularly efficient.

I would (and do) turn the camera off when changing lenses with electronic contacts, as again, if you were to short contacts inadvertantly, it might cause unwanted effects in the circuitry.

Nick

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

15 Mar 2013 11:24PM
What is "Power down?" Does that mean "Switch Off?" I always switch off before changing lenses. Sometimes all goes OK, sometimes I get a heap of s**t sticking to the sensor. Then I clean it. No big deal. Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
15 Mar 2013 11:47PM

Quote:I've never switched off when changing lens. I cannot see any reason why this is an issue

If your camera has a built in dust shaker it makes sense to switch of before changing lenses.
Boogie 2 58 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 3:29PM
Yes - mine is self cleaning, so I turn it off Smile
Newdevonian 2 439 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2013 9:55AM
Many thanks for all your comments. I have been switching off since the film days and since camera shutters were powered by battery. I had not considered the static on the sensor or the self cleaning aspects, so all good information.
ColinEJ 8 21 17 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 2:03PM
Life is often about habits ...... things you do automatically, without conscious thought. The clever bit is to make "Best Practice" your habit, so that you have good habits instead of bad habits.

Best practice is to switch off, before you change lenses, fit or remove flash units, removes CF cards etc. I even switch off before changing batteries, on the basis that the camera is powered down in the way it was designed to be, rather than just cutting the power.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.