Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Always been too proud to ask.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 10:35 PM

When turned on, the sensor becomes electrostatically charged, and thus will attract dust. Turning it off doesn't automatically dissipate the charge, so turning it off, then immediately removing the lens will still allow the potential charge to attract any dust that is nearby and at a different potential to the sensor. More effective is to tilt the camera lens mount down so nothing inadvertantly falls in (or floats on an air current). The fact is, that dust is an unavoidable consequence of changing lenses (and of using zooms).

I would turn the flash off before removal, in case you short the x-sync when removing it, as it might give you a shock, but you don't need to turn off the camera. Some older flashes required an open flash to discharge the capacitor after you finished using it, as the dump circuits weren't particularly efficient.

I would (and do) turn the camera off when changing lenses with electronic contacts, as again, if you were to short contacts inadvertantly, it might cause unwanted effects in the circuitry.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Mar 2013 - 10:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker
15 Mar 2013 - 11:24 PM

What is "Power down?" Does that mean "Switch Off?" I always switch off before changing lenses. Sometimes all goes OK, sometimes I get a heap of s**t sticking to the sensor. Then I clean it. No big deal. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 11:47 PM

Quote: I've never switched off when changing lens. I cannot see any reason why this is an issue

If your camera has a built in dust shaker it makes sense to switch of before changing lenses.

Boogie
Boogie  158 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 - 3:29 PM

Yes - mine is self cleaning, so I turn it off Smile

Newdevonian
17 Mar 2013 - 9:55 AM

Many thanks for all your comments. I have been switching off since the film days and since camera shutters were powered by battery. I had not considered the static on the sensor or the self cleaning aspects, so all good information.

ColinEJ
ColinEJ  8 United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 2:03 PM

Life is often about habits ...... things you do automatically, without conscious thought. The clever bit is to make "Best Practice" your habit, so that you have good habits instead of bad habits.

Best practice is to switch off, before you change lenses, fit or remove flash units, removes CF cards etc. I even switch off before changing batteries, on the basis that the camera is powered down in the way it was designed to be, rather than just cutting the power.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.