Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Am I being paranoid?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85869 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 5:53 PM

Two images below - both identical - I have highlighted an area on the bottom one, which is irritating me.
The same phenomenon is showing up on other images too.

If the bird is facing toward the right, it always seems to show up in roughly the same place.
Could it possibly be caused by that the focus point is on the eye and it is out of focus plumage -reverse D-O-F in layman's terms - not forgetting, that I am shooting in their face, so to speak and the area it seems to occur in, would be the spot most nearest to the lens, which could be 20/30mm closer than the eye.

Using the 12mm ext tube, I am fooling the lens into focusing at less than it's stated minimum focussing point of 3.5 metres - the length is more like 2.8 to 3.0 metres

I first noticed it over a week ago - I can't see it being the sensor and admittedly, when I first noticed it occurring, there was fair smear on the lens, but that has since been cleaned.
Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted

Adrian
-k121484.jpg

-k121483.jpg

Last Modified By tomcat at 6 Feb 2012 - 5:59 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Feb 2012 - 5:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85869 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 6:00 PM

Forgot to add, that the model is Maxy, so called because of her extended maxilla, which has never seemed to have bothered her

mikehit
mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 6:05 PM

It seems to me that the 'blur'is too delineated to be 'out of focus' areas, and also it seems to follow the curvature of the wing round the body. Some birds have very fine 'undercoat' of soft downy feathers and it is winter when their coat is more fluffed up so given that this 'effect' follows a line just above the wing primaries, it may be these fine feathers showing through.

Do you have some strong binoculars that you can check it next time?

Last Modified By mikehit at 6 Feb 2012 - 6:06 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
mikehit
6 Feb 2012 - 6:09 PM

I have taken the picture into PSE 9 and deliberately overdone Unsharp Mask (Amount 156, Radius 9) and it does seem to be undefinable feather structure. There are similar bits down the back as well but not as obvious.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
tomcat
6 Feb 2012 - 6:18 PM

Just been checking some other shots from yesterday - Blue tits and the rest.
Given that the point of focus is on the eye (hopefully), then if it was something caused by the camera or the lens, then it would always be in the same relative spot.
It isn't, but still appears to be on the point closest to the lens/camera

You may well be correct Mike - I hope you areWink

Adrian

mikehit
6 Feb 2012 - 6:36 PM

what aperture are you using and approx shooting distance?

tomcat
6 Feb 2012 - 6:45 PM

The above was taken at f/8 with Canon 400mm 5.6 prime
The EXIF distance states 4.23 metres, but I know it was closer than that

The point is Mike, it is something I have only noticed very recently. Loads of images taken between f/6.3 and f/10 without it occuring.

Last Modified By tomcat at 6 Feb 2012 - 6:47 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 6:59 PM

Could it be misting/condensation of the lens?

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
tomcat
6 Feb 2012 - 7:04 PM

That is possible Nick, but I do check it regularly when I am out.
Co-incidentally, the one thing I do suffer from, during the cooler conditions, is the viewfinder misting up - due to my breathing into it without thinking - forever having to wipe itSmile
That would have no bearing on the subject though, or would it?

Adrian

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 7:08 PM

Quote: That would have no bearing on the subject though, or would it?

Not unless they're planning on using the camera as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious here, but what exactly are you asking???? What phenomenon?? All I see is two identical images.

Last Modified By justin c at 6 Feb 2012 - 7:11 PM
tomcat
6 Feb 2012 - 7:11 PM

Just looking at my upload this evening and going on what Mike mentioned, I reckon it is the down feathers creeping over the blue.

The weather has only recently turned cold - perhaps that is the reason and if so it is perfectly natural

tomcat
6 Feb 2012 - 7:12 PM

Quote: Not unless they're planning on using the camera as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nowt like a tad of humour to brighten up proceedingsWinkTongueTongueTongueTongue

tomcat
6 Feb 2012 - 7:20 PM

I might have answered my own questionSmile
The image below is a blown up part of the TIFF image after RAW processing, but no sharpening

It does indeed look like feather growth of a different shade and pattern

10-capture.jpg

Last Modified By tomcat at 6 Feb 2012 - 7:21 PM
tomcat
6 Feb 2012 - 7:46 PM

Sorry Justin,
I missed the latter half of your comment - the only reason there are two images, is because I have highlighted the issue in question

Adrian

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 7:51 PM

Ah I see Smile I still can't actually see the problem you mention, but perhaps I'm missing the obvious.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.