Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Am I mad?

Nick_Hilton 9 556 2 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 1:18PM
Can someone tell me if this makes sense:
I currently have a D300 with a 70 200 VR and a 28 70 f2.8. It does appear that any D700 replacement will be 16 megapixels or less and cost over 2000 for the body only. Im thinking of trading it all in and buying a Canon 7D for 1000 and trading my lenses for F4 Canon ones?
All that said I will get an upgraded FF camera plus still have decent lenses

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.8k
24 Jan 2012 1:22PM
Why do you want to replace the D300 and replace the excellent Nikon lenses with down-range Canon optics?
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
24 Jan 2012 1:26PM
Just a point but the 7D isn't fullframe, its 1.6crop. The fullframe are the 5D and select ones of the 1D line (that line being split between fullframe and 1.3 crop).

And (whilst canon are the best of course Tongue) why the desire to switch? Generally it will always cost you to switch brands and unless you've a very clear reason why you are unlikely to get much if any gain (and with the interface swap and costs might even find it worse)
24 Jan 2012 1:29PM
I am looking for better ISO performance and slightly more megapixels. It just seems that any Nikon upgrade will be significatly more expensive than a Canon model that is already established?
24 Jan 2012 1:29PM
Plus I would say that the 7D is 2 generations technology better than my current D300?
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
24 Jan 2012 1:30PM

Quote:All that said I will get an upgraded FF camera plus still have decent lenses

Really? I though the 7D was APS-C?

Can I ask why do you want more than 16mps? 12 MPs can be printed to >A2
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
24 Jan 2012 1:44PM
I'd advise you to wait until the new Nikon D400 is announced. You're right that the D300 is old technology (basically the same as the Sony A700 which was discontinued a couple of years ago), but the forthcoming D400 is rumoured to have the new Sony 24Mp sensor. With Nikon processing know-how and the absence of the Sony SLT translucent mirror this will be delivering better IQ than the NEX-7 - so it'll be the best APS-C camera on the market. Its ISO performance will be a couple of stops better than the D300, so ISO6400 should be reasonably noise-free. The only fly in the ointment is that it will probably be expensive (1500 minimum), but it's a Nikon so what's new.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Jan 2012 1:50PM

Quote: It just seems that any Nikon upgrade will be significantly more expensive than a Canon model that is already established?

Another way of saying "already established" is "already becoming dated".

The 7D actually has a slightly smaller sensor than your D300 and these megapixily thingies are seriously over-rated.

Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
24 Jan 2012 1:51PM
Also, if higher ISO performance is what you are needing then swapping into canon and trading f2.8 lenses for f4 is going to mean you have to use higher ISOs in the same conditions - so any improved noise performance might be lost as you have to reach for those higher values.
24 Jan 2012 2:12PM
Steppenwolf - the forthcoming but when if the D4 has only just been annonced?
As for making the statement the Canon 7D is FF - my mistake! However I was really just looking at the fact it was about 1000 for newer technology where as when the Nikon camera appears it will be 2000.

Nick
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
24 Jan 2012 2:19PM
A pointless move IMO Nick.

But then, the grass always did look greener etc etc...

Wink
24 Jan 2012 2:27PM
Mike,
I didn't expect a of course its a great move jump ship now answer especially on here! Always good to here other peoples points of view.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 2:56PM
Speaking as a Canon user, I always had the impression that Nikon did better for noise control. By the time you have lost money on that kit and forked out on the 7D plus lenses you may as well have bought the newer Nikon. I suggest you look at sh prices (Mifsuds, Grays etc) and do the maths
24 Jan 2012 3:09PM
Hi Nick,
I like your porfolio. It seems that you like shooting fairly static objects, why not check out the Fuji Xpro 1 when it comes out. Looks to offer superb image quality.
Unless you're after shooting wildlife or sport this could be an option.
A cheap way of getting higher resolution images is to get a panoramic head, you don't have to make panoramic shape images with these.
I personally hope Nikon announce the D400 soon, this is the camera I think most Nikon DSLR users are waiting for.
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
24 Jan 2012 3:17PM
If you want to get rid of the 24-70 very cheaply then I think you should jump ship and sell it to me - then I can bolt it to the front of my old D300! Tongue Tongue Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.