Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Am I mad?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Nick_Hilton
24 Jan 2012 - 1:18 PM

Can someone tell me if this makes sense:
I currently have a D300 with a 70 200 VR and a 28 70 f2.8. It does appear that any D700 replacement will be 16 megapixels or less and cost over 2000 for the body only. Im thinking of trading it all in and buying a Canon 7D for 1000 and trading my lenses for F4 Canon ones?
All that said I will get an upgraded FF camera plus still have decent lenses

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Jan 2012 - 1:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
24 Jan 2012 - 1:22 PM

Why do you want to replace the D300 and replace the excellent Nikon lenses with down-range Canon optics?

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 1:26 PM

Just a point but the 7D isn't fullframe, its 1.6crop. The fullframe are the 5D and select ones of the 1D line (that line being split between fullframe and 1.3 crop).

And (whilst canon are the best of course Tongue) why the desire to switch? Generally it will always cost you to switch brands and unless you've a very clear reason why you are unlikely to get much if any gain (and with the interface swap and costs might even find it worse)

Nick_Hilton
24 Jan 2012 - 1:29 PM

I am looking for better ISO performance and slightly more megapixels. It just seems that any Nikon upgrade will be significatly more expensive than a Canon model that is already established?

Nick_Hilton
24 Jan 2012 - 1:29 PM

Plus I would say that the 7D is 2 generations technology better than my current D300?

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 1:30 PM

Quote: All that said I will get an upgraded FF camera plus still have decent lenses

Really? I though the 7D was APS-C?

Can I ask why do you want more than 16mps? 12 MPs can be printed to >A2

Steppenwolf
24 Jan 2012 - 1:44 PM

I'd advise you to wait until the new Nikon D400 is announced. You're right that the D300 is old technology (basically the same as the Sony A700 which was discontinued a couple of years ago), but the forthcoming D400 is rumoured to have the new Sony 24Mp sensor. With Nikon processing know-how and the absence of the Sony SLT translucent mirror this will be delivering better IQ than the NEX-7 - so it'll be the best APS-C camera on the market. Its ISO performance will be a couple of stops better than the D300, so ISO6400 should be reasonably noise-free. The only fly in the ointment is that it will probably be expensive (1500 minimum), but it's a Nikon so what's new.

User_Removed
24 Jan 2012 - 1:50 PM

Quote: It just seems that any Nikon upgrade will be significantly more expensive than a Canon model that is already established?

Another way of saying "already established" is "already becoming dated".

The 7D actually has a slightly smaller sensor than your D300 and these megapixily thingies are seriously over-rated.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 Jan 2012 - 1:52 PM
Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 1:51 PM

Also, if higher ISO performance is what you are needing then swapping into canon and trading f2.8 lenses for f4 is going to mean you have to use higher ISOs in the same conditions - so any improved noise performance might be lost as you have to reach for those higher values.

Nick_Hilton
24 Jan 2012 - 2:12 PM

Steppenwolf - the forthcoming but when if the D4 has only just been annonced?
As for making the statement the Canon 7D is FF - my mistake! However I was really just looking at the fact it was about 1000 for newer technology where as when the Nikon camera appears it will be 2000.

Nick

User_Removed
24 Jan 2012 - 2:19 PM

A pointless move IMO Nick.

But then, the grass always did look greener etc etc...

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 Jan 2012 - 2:19 PM
Nick_Hilton
24 Jan 2012 - 2:27 PM

Mike,
I didn't expect a of course its a great move jump ship now answer especially on here! Always good to here other peoples points of view.

mikehit
mikehit  56338 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 2:56 PM

Speaking as a Canon user, I always had the impression that Nikon did better for noise control. By the time you have lost money on that kit and forked out on the 7D plus lenses you may as well have bought the newer Nikon. I suggest you look at sh prices (Mifsuds, Grays etc) and do the maths

TimMunsey
TimMunsey e2 Member 386 forum postsTimMunsey vcard United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 - 3:09 PM

Hi Nick,
I like your porfolio. It seems that you like shooting fairly static objects, why not check out the Fuji Xpro 1 when it comes out. Looks to offer superb image quality.
Unless you're after shooting wildlife or sport this could be an option.
A cheap way of getting higher resolution images is to get a panoramic head, you don't have to make panoramic shape images with these.
I personally hope Nikon announce the D400 soon, this is the camera I think most Nikon DSLR users are waiting for.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91032 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 3:17 PM

If you want to get rid of the 24-70 very cheaply then I think you should jump ship and sell it to me - then I can bolt it to the front of my old D300! Tongue Tongue Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.