Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Amateur Photographer D800e, D800 and Hasselblad H4D-31 comparison

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 2:35 PM

Professionals only purchase goods when necessary. They don't go rushing out to purchase gizmo's and gadgets that come onto the market place like amateurs do. They keep their equipment as long as possible, until it basically gives up the ghost, then they replace it. The top pro's get to use all sorts of equipment from the manufacturers, just for the manufacturer to say, this is used by... Blah blah blah. Photography is big business and getting bigger all the time. I was looking to purchase either the Nikon D800 or the Canon EOS 5D MK III, but the prices at this moment are rediculous, even if I can put it again my tax! I've decided to get the Canon EOS 5D MK II, with the Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM Lens, which I can get for 2315, here on Tenerife.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 May 2012 - 2:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
17 May 2012 - 3:46 PM

[quote]

They would, if they had to get two kids and the shopping in the boot!

CathalWink
Now I know where you Irish lassies hide the kids

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
17 May 2012 - 3:56 PM

Stephen where on Tenerife do you shop or do you import through your business?
Does the shop also serve us Nikon users?
The Uk price is roughly 2850 so the prices out there would pay for a short self catering holiday at the same time

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 4:33 PM

NEWDIGIT, I go to Visanta.com, who are a large group. They have stores throughout the Canaries. They have Nikon, Canon, plus a host of other top brands, with a good selection of cameras and lenses. They have a lot of good feed-back too. They are not the usual Indian camera shop you see everywhere with silly prices and trying to scam you. A lot of Brits who live here buy from the various stores they have around the Island. If you are at all worried, write down the serial number of the item you are interested in, ask the shop owner to put it to one side for you and get in touch with the manufacturer to verify it. Get an holiday, buy your camera gear cheap! And your fags, booze etc. And we have the sun all year round. Today, it's 35C.Wink Anyone looking to come out to Tenerife, go to my site and if I can be of any help at all, please ask me.
Stephen

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62477 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
18 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Quote: (2) A pro will buy new equipment on the basis of the needs of his/her business.

True - though the real world is often quite different to that implied in some of the posts.
A pro sports photography using Nikon is likely to use a D3s or upgrade to a D4 as not matching competitors capture ability means not eating well.
As of now a stock photographer does not need medium format digital or 36 MP because this market is geared to decent quality A4 magazine pages at 300 dpi to accommodate the needs of the CMYK printing process. Photographing for high fashion at 600 dpi for best tonal separation Vogue magazine printing quality plus A1 advertising posters has a different MP "need".
High end portrait and landscape photographers, whether pro or amateur, can use anything but when it comes to A2 and larger prints more MP helps get better quality.
Business "needs" are part driven by the type of product sold, and part by business ability to make successful sales. Successful sales and good photography are not always synonymous Sad
Digressing there has been a suggestion a post processed D700 image can close the gap on medium format which is true, but ignores medium format is likely to be post processed to reopen the gap.
Back to the OP, those with a need for the highest quality they can afford seem to have a new option, apparently in some ways nearly as good and in some ways better than entry level medium format at about 33% of the price.
I had rather hoped the thread would concentrate on this last aspect, rather than equipment cost tax breaks any business can offset against new equipment right down to an electric kettle to make tea - provided it makes a profit in the first place.

thewilliam
18 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Len, strictly speaking, the kettle is only tax-deductible if it was purchased wholly and necessarily to make tea for clients and other business visitors! GrinGrinGrin

User_Removed
19 May 2012 - 3:51 AM

Let me repeat what I said on another thread that was heading in a similar direction:

Leaving aside the few professionals on the Forum (no disrespect to them) who have to justify expenditure in cost/benefit terms, the vast majority of us are into photography as a hobby for the sole purpose of having fun. Which aspects of photography contribute to that "fun quotient" will vary from person to person.

But, let's be clear on one point - photography can be a very inexpensive hobby or it can be moderately expensive. Adherents will obviously work within their disposable income and I don't believe that this will seriously affect their fun quotient. I don't think it is in any way unreasonable to believe that very satisfying photographic fun can be achieved for under 1000 per year - less than the cost of 6 or 7 pints of beer per week. Compare that to golf, going regularly to the opera or game shooting! Or even following a Premier League football team around the country.

Yes - there are now five or six reviews stating that a Nikon D800 is capable of producing images as good as a 30,000 medium format outfit and, while that may currently be academic to some Forumites, don't forget that an entry level dSLR like the D3200 will produce much better images than a 30,000 outfit from 10 years ago. So, although you may be sceptical about the relevance today, it will not be long before the technology which makes it possible will have filtered down to the "consumer" end of the market.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2012 - 3:11 PM

In many ways I agree with you in that if it is a hoby it is for the person to decide how much money to spend. also we live in an interesting time, I think for many of us the technology has reached the maturity level where even the entry level is more than good enough

For me the full frame dissapointment is that they have not flowed down to the 1000 price level, the top end development is impressive. I. was hoping for a lowerr cost full frame camera, but lets wait and see.

robs
robs  11660 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

After my first day shooting on a tax deducted D800E all I have to add to this debate is that it is a truly astonishing bit of kit. I haven't taken anything earth shattering with it as yet I have to admit (I am in familiarization mode and unlearning the Canon ways for the next wee while), but looking at the hand held poor light output suggests really great things!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Quote: After my first day shooting on a tax deducted D800E all I have to add to this debate is that it is a truly astonishing bit of kit

Worth the bit extra over the D800?

robs
robs  11660 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

No idea - I didn't get a normal one to compare against Wink

From the photographs I have seen comparing them it does offer slightly greater sharpness and detail. Given you can't recover such things once lost by an AA filter, and given that many people would pay the same amount extra between the D800/D800E on a lens for as much better or less, I kind of think it is worth it. The other way of looking at it though - the E version is still 100 cheaper than a 5D Mk III which underwhelmed me so much that I decided it was time to switch systems.

Goggz
Goggz  72301 forum posts Wales72 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2012 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, I've never understood why people buy Canon...

{snigger}

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2012 - 11:48 AM

Better Af performance???

User_Removed
16 Jun 2012 - 5:34 PM

Quote: Better Af performance???

Can't be that.

But seriously, this thread was prompted by a magazine article.

If you believed what you read in the comics you would become so confused that you'd end up in an asylum.

Just as a wee example - two mags that dropped through my letterbox this week. According to July's Photography Monthly, the Nikon D800 is, by a million miles, the best camera ever produced in the history of mankind. According to the 23rd June Amateur Photographer, the Canon EOS-1Dx is, by a million miles, the best camera ever produced in the history of mankind.

douglasR
douglasR  754 forum posts Scotland
16 Jun 2012 - 6:53 PM

Having used the D800 now for about 3 weeks mainly on Landscapes,I can say as every test report has, I am blown away, my d700 is a superb camera and I have had many excellent 20x30 inch prints from it. The same size from the d800 are amazing,the small detail is something else,a huge difference even at 100% and their is a real depth and contrast with terrific latitude,I am really surprised what can be drawn from a raw file even in the highlights.
It's a lot of money,but the quality of the raw files and the sheer detail in a large print make it a worth while investment,but only if you are going to be printing big.It's strange to be substantially downsizing to print at A3plus!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.