Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Amateur Photographer D800e, D800 and Hasselblad H4D-31 comparison

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

douglasR
douglasR  754 forum posts Scotland
16 Jun 2012 - 6:54 PM

Having used the D800 now for about 4 weeks mainly on Landscapes,I can say as every test report has, I am blown away, my d700 is a superb camera and I have had many excellent 20x30 inch prints from it. The same size from the d800 are amazing,the small detail is something else,a huge difference even at 100% and their is a real depth and contrast with terrific latitude,I am really surprised what can be drawn from a raw file even in the highlights.
It's a lot of money,but the quality of the raw files and the sheer detail in a large print make it a worth while investment,but only if you are going to be printing big.It's strange to be substantially downsizing to print at A3plus!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jun 2012 - 6:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62477 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 - 8:43 PM

Quote: According to the 23rd June Amateur Photographer, the Canon EOS-1Dx is, by a million miles, the best camera ever produced in the history of mankind.

My copy of AP does not say what you claim Wink
My copy says "I am not sure the 1D X's resolution will hold the interest of many portrait or landscape photographers" and "if I had to choose just one camera to use for all types of photography, the Canon EOS-1Ds X would be it".
I think most would agree the D800 36 MP files are somewhat large which limits it's suitability for fast action fps.
I am satisfied each magazine is considering the camera under review in the light of it's main intended use.
Moving on to the experience of douglasR, a D800 seems a good route to take in relation to my OP as to whether or not the AP D800 comparison is helpful to those hoping to upgrade to achieve higher quality large prints for landscape work.

User_Removed
17 Jun 2012 - 9:53 AM

Quote: According to the 23rd June Amateur Photographer, the Canon EOS-1Dx is, by a million miles, the best camera ever produced in the history of mankind.
My copy of AP does not say what you claim Wink
My copy says "I am not sure the 1D X's resolution will hold the interest of many portrait or landscape photographers" and "if I had to choose just one camera to use for all types of photography, the Canon EOS-1Ds X would be it".
I think most would agree the D800 36 MP files are somewhat large which limits it's suitability for fast action fps.
I am satisfied each magazine is considering the camera under review in the light of it's main intended use.
Moving on to the experience of douglasR, a D800 seems a good route to take in relation to my OP as to whether or not the AP D800 comparison is helpful to those hoping to upgrade to achieve higher quality large prints for landscape work.

Sense of humour bypass, Len?

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62477 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
17 Jun 2012 - 8:57 PM

Quote: Sense of humour bypass, Len?

Not really Smile
I speculate many, including me, have a round trip of at least 100 miles to see a high end camera or high end lens in a camera shop, and maybe a 150 mile round trip to get to an event with Nikon or Canon support staff.
Neither review talks about "best by a million miles".
Good high quality reviews are hard to come by. The OP asked for opinions on the AP review. Subsequent feedback from D800 owners is the AP review and comparison was right on the money as regards an "affordable" camera for high quality A2 prints.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2012 - 9:50 PM

I think you are correct the D800 is a great camera for A2 prints, below that image size then the 5D III features such as better AF come into play. And the other statement "if I had to choose just one camera to use for all types of photography, the Canon EOS-1Ds X would be it" is about correct too. I am lucky I have only to go 10 miles to get to a good shop with a wide range of kit.

But I think the sentiment he expresses is valid though, if not the exact statement Wink

Last Modified By strawman at 17 Jun 2012 - 9:51 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.