Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

America today...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
20 Jul 2012 - 11:29 PM

Call them extremes but with yet another mass shooting I couldn't help somehow equating it with this

Is the so-called 'world's policeman' in a fix? Have years of fat, force-fed by rampant retailing turned America into a slothful, lazy, gobbling, polluting monster where one's 'rights' are an excuse for every excess known to man?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jul 2012 - 11:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gingerdougie
21 Jul 2012 - 7:50 AM

Stick to photography pal1

thewilliam
21 Jul 2012 - 11:19 AM

One historian remarked that the USA moved directly from barbarism to decadence without pausing at the stage of civilization.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 21 Jul 2012 - 11:20 AM
gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102255 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2012 - 12:49 PM

Quote: One historian remarked that the USA moved directly from barbarism to decadence without pausing at the stage of civilization.

Yes, there's some truth in that.
There are many ideas and inventions for which we can be grateful to the US. However it seems to me that the US has ruined and almost completely negated these worthy achievements over the years. There are a great many good, sensible people in the US, just as there are in the UK, but my impression is that the controlling elite in the country is run by a bunch of complete basket cases who are consumed with greed for both money and power: It's hardly surprising if this greed, selfishness and general stupidity rubs off from the ruling elite to the rest of society. Of course we in the UK are fast going the same way - we always follow the US. Sad
I really can't see how things can improve without the unlikely intervention of politicians to curb the worst excesses of big business.
Corruption just grows and grows - unstoppable - like poison ivy... until you cut it out by the roots. I just don't see that happening or likely to happen any time soon. Sad
The rich are getting richer and the gap is widening at an enormous rate, particularly in the US, and so I think there will be increasing tensions as there are in this country.
The French Revolution was a terrible series of events that started because the rich were getting richer and richer while the poor became poorer.
Obviously there are unlikely to be beheadings and the parallels are only partly similar, but I'm sure there will be terrible trouble and upheavals exponentially into the foreseeable future.
Of course, the Neo-cons (yes, they are still around - behind the scenes) like a bit of warmongering...I seem to remember reading that Hitler was openly very fond of wars.
Of course this doesn't mean that China and Russia, for example, are good guys - it means that any nation that becomes too dominant is a danger to itself and the rest of the world.

Anyway, I'm going to get my dinner now! It may be just about my last one with impending world disaster on the horizon! WinkSad

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2012 - 8:01 PM

Quote: I couldn't help somehow equating it with this

All I see are a lot of fashion victims and I can see many similar in cities in the UK.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
23 Jul 2012 - 6:31 PM

Mike (my hectoring shadow)....kindly stay out of this.....it's getting interesting Tongue

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
5 Aug 2012 - 10:45 PM

Oh dear. Another sad attention seeker makes the headlines -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19138754

mikehit
6 Aug 2012 - 8:37 AM

Suicide by cop - a real coward as well.

Apparently there are several high-profile people and press putting out the message 'Sikhs are no muslims' which would add to the sense of futility of it all.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
6 Aug 2012 - 8:03 PM

Quote: Suicide by cop - a real coward as well

What? The gunman? He was ex-army from what I read.....white supremacist.

It's awful that some folk feel they have to do these things. People I've met and know in many of our ethnic communities are in the main, lovely, decent people who work hard and bring their children up to respect law and order. Apparently, the bloke that committed the atrocity was a demoted ex-army sergeant with a drink problem....wonderful. He was discharged from the US military as unfit for purpose.

One particularly high-profile murder in a similar vein that continues to affect me to this day was the hideous, meaningless ending of John Lennon's life. America has more than its fair share of weirdos (as Frank Zappa would testify) much of which I think is due to a sense of failure by many people in that land of so-called 'opportunity'.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014482 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 8:25 PM

Since 9/11 there have been approximately 700 hate crimes reported against Muslims and religous groups such as Sikhs. 9/11 happened in the US; what if it had taken place in the UK, Canada, France, Germany, or any other country, would things be any different? The theatre shootings apparently were done by a frustrated drug addict who couldn't get a job. What about the mass killings in Norway last year? I believe we're too politicly correct to properly defend society from the drop-outs. With our insistance on recognising the rights of mass murderers and such, the victims and their loved ones get lost in the shuffle. Take Canada for an example; Chinese butcher stabs passenger on bus multiple times, then beheads him, eating some of his flesh, found mentally incompitent to stand trial, and now gets day release into public as they try to re-integrate him back into society. WTF!!!

Last Modified By StrayCat at 6 Aug 2012 - 8:27 PM
jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
6 Aug 2012 - 9:22 PM

Quote: Chinese butcher stabs passenger on bus multiple times, then beheads him, eating some of his flesh, found mentally incompitent to stand trial, and now gets day release into public as they try to re-integrate him back into society. WTF!!!

Words fail me

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 9:34 PM

Quote: Take Canada for an example; Chinese butcher stabs passenger on bus multiple times, then beheads him, eating some of his flesh

Why he couldn't wait until he found a kebab shop is beyond me Tongue

mikehit
6 Aug 2012 - 9:56 PM

Quote: Suicide by cop - a real coward as well

What? The gunman? He was ex-army from what I read.....white supremacist.

Why does that negate suicide by cop? It's a very common outcome.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 10:27 PM

Quote: Since 9/11 there have been approximately 700 hate crimes reported against Muslims and religous groups such as Sikhs. 9/11 happened in the US

That says nothing nothing Denny.

Here in the uk about 50% of all race crimes are carried out against white people.

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
8 Aug 2012 - 12:20 PM

Quote: Since 9/11 there have been approximately 700 hate crimes reported against Muslims and religous groups such as Sikhs. 9/11 happened in the US

That says nothing nothing Denny.

capture.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.