Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

American Accents :)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2011 - 2:31 PM

Ooooh aaaaar, me lovelies!

Ahem. Sorry.
TongueGrin

Last Modified By joolsb at 14 May 2011 - 2:32 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 May 2011 - 2:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

shadow18
shadow18  3406 forum posts England
14 May 2011 - 2:32 PM

hehe! Thank you all for all your comments! This is very interesting to read! Smile

I agree with liking the soft female irish accent or strong irish man sometimes too! I always find when I'm picking out music, I ABSOLUTELY love a lot of things with irish accents or british. It helps it sound kind of ethereal and really cool! Whereas Southern accents sound SOO RETARDED!! I'm okay speaking to a southerner, but if I listen to music with Southern people, It's the most ANNOYING thing to me!! lol!
Straycat, my mom said the same thing about talking to a French person from France (she grew up in Canada). It sounds a lot different!

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2011 - 2:34 PM

Which part of the States are you from, Louise?

Last Modified By joolsb at 14 May 2011 - 2:35 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2011 - 2:38 PM

Quote: I was just curious what American accents sound like to British people?

There's quite a difference between (say) a Bostonian accent and a Texan accent.

In popular music British singers often use an American accent when singing. They think it sounds better and actually........... so do I! Smile

f8
f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2011 - 4:12 PM

Quote: Hi everyone! This is really silly, but I was just curious what American accents sound like to British people? I don't mind if you say they sound dumb or harsh or anything, I'm just curious, because I know we Americans think British accents sound awesome! haha! That probably sounds really silly to you all! Smile Someone please answer my question just out of curiousity!! Smile it's okay if you make fun of American accents, i just want honest opinions for fun! Smile

Most American accents sound drawl-like depends on the region they come from,the very strong accents (Brooklyn) are very twangy. Generally the American accent is lower in tone to ours,ours seems to have a very high tone particulally the female.
Hope this is more help.

keith selmes
14 May 2011 - 4:30 PM

In a TV interview, Lily Allen said she uses the mockney accent because it works better with the songs than her real accent would - in the same way that people use an american accent, because it flows with the music more easily. If she used her normal posh voice and correct diction it wouldn't work - and she gave a short example of what it would be like. She was right, too.

thewilliam
14 May 2011 - 4:50 PM

The other day, I saw the tail-end of a program about Anthony and Cleopatra. It had English subtitles and there seemed something strangely familiar about their speech. Then I realised that they were speaking in Latin.

I prefer films where the actors speak the right language for the part - a German officer saying "Wir haben" rather than "Vee heff".

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214378 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2011 - 4:54 PM

The old martial art films poorly dubbed into English with the lip sync completely out have got to be the best Smile

shadow18
shadow18  3406 forum posts England
14 May 2011 - 6:01 PM

I'm from the Northeast. i shouldn't say exactly where, so instead, here's a sample of what i sound like. I just sang something even though i'm not really that good of a singer. and the recording is fuzzy because i got too close to the microphone, but i just did it fast. i'm not sure what kind of american accent I have. Can you tell from the recording? Smile

http://min.us/mvjlCtD

Do I have the kind of American accent British people like to sing with?

yeah! That is true about being different from different parts of America and different parts of Britain. I know i shouldn't base things on movies, but I saw how different and interesting it can be in "My Fair Lady." Smile

cmawson
cmawson  10270 forum posts United Kingdom
14 May 2011 - 6:02 PM

The people of Tangier Island in Virginia have a strange almost west country dialect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214378 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2011 - 7:01 PM

Quote: Do I have the kind of American accent British people like to sing with

Sounded a little Irish American probably down to the style of singing, your up around Washington state somewhere I think Smile

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
14 May 2011 - 7:24 PM

Washington state was in the north west last time I was there, not north east

Paul Morgan
14 May 2011 - 7:33 PM

A good point Sad

New York State or Maine Smile

Kris_Dutson
14 May 2011 - 9:10 PM

Love the Bronx accent - comparable to our East end I suppose. Not keen on the Texas drawl

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

I just love accents, no matter where they're from.

However, if you're from Newcastle UK, born and bred, I may have to ask you to repeat things. Like everything. 8-]

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.