Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

An amazing natural world clip - a must see

canonfan46 5 1.1k United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 7:32PM
Hi all,
I came accross this BBC clip from a programe about Kingfishers.
I thought is was a fantastic video clip and thought some of you natural world buffs might like to see it, if you havent already done so.

Look for the clip call "Queen of the Kingfishers" as thats the one I was amzed at.

Queen of the Kingfishers

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Nov 2010 8:37PM
This one then...?

(Great post.)
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 11:30PM
well i didnt expect that ending!!
20 Nov 2010 8:58AM
I wish I hadn't watched that - happy otter and two less kingfishers! Amazing footage though.
I've got the amazing kingfisher book "The Halcyon River" and had the pleasure of meeting Charlie Hamilton James (author) when he came to the Cheddar Gorge to film the water voles.
mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2010 9:07AM
Now theres something ive learnt today.... Kingfishers will drown eachother for territory... i never knew that. and the Mink... pure hunter . very clever ambush. but not for the kingfisher. but thats nature.
matt.
20 Nov 2010 9:36AM
Yes, mink not otter as I initially thought.

Just to think that if those animal rights idiots the "Animal Liberation Front" hadn't released all those mink into the wild we wouldn't have the river wildlife disaster we have today with the near extermination of the water voles and many other species.

mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2010 9:49AM
well yes and no to that....but if they didnt MAYBE the mink would be extinct? or at least not "wild" in the uk which is natures way i guess.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
20 Nov 2010 9:51AM

Quote:Just to think that if those animal rights idiots the "Animal Liberation Front" hadn't released all those mink into the wild we wouldn't have the river wildlife disaster we have today

Although I agree that those people were idiots, I'm afraid the main problem was the stupidity of allowing mink farms in the first place. Plenty of mink escaped from these without the help of the ALF so we would still be lumbered with this problem without them.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2010 11:40AM
Thats amazing footage, feel a bit sorry for the female right at the end though - you can see she's knackered but what does the 'husband' do? lol
20 Nov 2010 1:46PM

Quote:Thats amazing footage, feel a bit sorry for the female right at the end though - you can see she's knackered but what does the 'husband' do? lol

Actually they were both male, fighting for territory, not M/F having it off in the streamWink
camay 7 132 3 Scotland
20 Nov 2010 3:26PM
Thought they were both female fighting for the male!
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2010 3:30PM
Right at the end I'm talking about, not in the stream lol
camay 7 132 3 Scotland
20 Nov 2010 5:26PM
OK I understand now!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.