Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

An Anonymous Gallery?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ketch
ketch e2 Member 7770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 11:35 AM

A bit like the critique gallery - but an oportunity to post images completely untainted by click cliques (because all images are anonymous only the poster knows). Of course it is still open to some abuse - but it would be fun to know if a favorite image is really that good without the togs marque to guide the impressionable clicker.

I would love to hear comments and indeed the reason why this is such a bad idea please.

Best wishes

Robert

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jun 2008 - 11:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redjoker
redjoker  6981 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 11:38 AM

i like that idea, cant see why it wouldnt work

NickParry
NickParry  91016 forum posts Wales79 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 11:39 AM

Sounds good in principle. But many here have their own style. For example, I could spot an image by Horse a mile away, and not because all his images look the same (because they don't) but I know his style and he is also an excellent photographer. The same goes for DaveU, who I think has his own style that I could spot a mile away. Again, not that they all look the same, but I know his style.

Nick

Last Modified By NickParry at 13 Jun 2008 - 11:40 AM
culturedcanvas
13 Jun 2008 - 11:43 AM

Cant see it being effective for the same reasons Nick points out. I can spot my own work a mile away .... Wink

ketch
ketch e2 Member 7770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 11:46 AM

I agree that some do have a very distinctive style, a sort of autership (although I accept that this term usually aplies moving images) but this may even encourage others to look more closely and to post 'copy cat images' or at the very least look to see why such images work or don't work.

I don't thin the fact that it may be possible to 'blind taste' some images accurately should mean that this couldn't work - there still would always be an element of doubt?

Cheers

Robert

Last Modified By ketch at 13 Jun 2008 - 11:48 AM
DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 11:51 AM

I don't really see much point Rob.

If click-cliques exist Wink and if a person is a member of such a group, then they probably don't want honest feedback and true criticism anyway. Not that I'm knocking such groups as they are free to use EPZ in the way that they choose.

If we're honest with ourselves we can all differentiate between the inane "awesome pic" type of comments and truly useful and constructive criticism anyway.

Last Modified By DaveU at 13 Jun 2008 - 11:52 AM
NickParry
NickParry  91016 forum posts Wales79 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 11:53 AM

When I browse the gallery I only click an image that appeals in the thumbnail, if I like it I will look at the image closer then comment and click. I do have my favourite photographers on here, but I don't necessily go hunting out their latest pics to click them. I also don't have any friends on here Sad ... Ahhhhh

Your suggestion is based on the assumption that there are click cliques on EPz. I'm not bothered if there is. It is a social site. But I am not into cliques personally.

Nick

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 12:24 PM

Click cliques have totally passed me by, I'm not a member of one, nor am I aware of where any are or who is in them, if I wanted to join one I wouldn't have a clue where to start!
A lot of comments on my photos often say "I knew it was yours from the thumbnail" so I wouldn't be quite as anonymous lol

ketch
13 Jun 2008 - 12:33 PM

Well yes I agree with your points - but I am not sure my suggestion was driven by anti click clique sentiment (my god there is a mouthfull).

But I was really interested in soliciting 'clean critique' for some self selected images. But I was alos interested in the idea of style and autership. I think this is a really important element of photography and is frequently overlooked. You have started to identify a few of the guys on EpZ who's work is unmistakable and I expect there are many many more (some of the manipulators spring to mind). This idea could do quite a bit to encourage us to delevlop our own style (for the want of a better word).

You know what would be even more interesting though would be that the photographer gets revealed after so many weeks . We could have enormous fun (as if there is not enough) trying to identify the style and hence the originator of that 'awesome image' or real dog.

Cheers

Robert

kokobrown
kokobrown  101902 forum posts Scotland
13 Jun 2008 - 12:36 PM

well i like the idea.
can we not have a trial?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 12:49 PM

I think we've always said people are free to use the site in whatever way they want. Yes, there may be click cliques - but so what?

Maybe there should be an option to turn off clicks on your own photos. A "This is a Click-free Zone" type of thing. Wink

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 12:53 PM

Apart from the other points made above, this could only work if the photographer was not allowed to comment on the photo, so no questions on the photo would get answered.

Ian

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 1:03 PM

I like the idea and having a big reveal a week later, sounds like fun.

pepperst
pepperst  72328 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 1:08 PM

Oh goody a click thread,

again

only been away for a couple of weeks but nowt changes

Love the idea by the way, yes quite a few people have their own styles, but it would fun in a way.

redjoker
redjoker  6981 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2008 - 1:11 PM

oh theres more than one click thread going on dont you worry Wink

but really i think a trial of this wouldnt hurt

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.