Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

An idea.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111531 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2007 - 12:42 PM

I posted a pic yesterday, and one of the comments was a question to what work I had actually done to the image. Now I know that when we post we can choose to allow others to mod the photo, and we can post the original in that, but would it be helpful/useful if we could have a one click solution to see the original image. The poster could then explain the steps he took when getting to the final image.

So the idea is you post your finished photo in the gallery and then the unworked photo elsewhere(?). When opening the original from the gallery, there would be the facility 'Click here to see original'.

I'm not sure if ths has been mooted before, so don't shoot the messenger Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Feb 2007 - 12:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stolzy
    stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2007 - 12:51 PM

Good idea - I often see B+W pics and wonder if the conversion could have been done differently. Question what is the original? Disk space will get filled pretty quickly if everyone starts posting RAWs

CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111531 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2007 - 1:01 PM

Sorry, the original would just be a resized (to epz standards) version of what was taken from the camera.

rodp
    rodp  91183 forum posts England
    25 Feb 2007 - 3:01 PM

Good idea, at least us novices would then have an idea of how far the good people go with manipulation. I know what I thought I saw when I took the shot but I never know how far to go in PS.
    Rod.

JohnEW
    JohnEW  7
    5 Mar 2007 - 11:32 AM

As the one who (inadvertently) set this off, yes, I think it's a good idea in principle, as long as it were voluntary, not mandatory. Some people would not like to show what a "sow's ear" their "silk purse" really was. Also, there would be problems with collages of multiple shots (like the recent eclipse posts).
    John

stevekhart
    5 Mar 2007 - 11:36 AM

Why don't you just use the mod feature anyway? When you've posted your image, go and add a mod yourself of the original pic.

mdpontin
    mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
    5 Mar 2007 - 11:39 AM

Quote: as long as it were voluntary, not mandatory

I don't see how it could be made mandatory in any case. If we were always required to upload two images (final and original), then what would prevent somebody posting two completely different processed images, or anything they wanted?

Doug

StephenBrighton

Steve's idea works. I had already tried it for the first time in response to a comment on my "sixteen moons" picture.

Regards

Stephen

JohnEW
    JohnEW  7
    6 Mar 2007 - 1:32 PM

Quote: what would prevent somebody posting two completely different processed images, or anything they wanted?

Can't the current system be abused anyway? Also, there would not be much point for an e2 member using it as an extra upload, because the "original" would, presumably, only be allowed to be 500px maximum for practical reasons, which brings me to an associated point. Using the present facility only allows re-work on a small image, which for detailed changes is of limited value. However, that's another issue.

John

mdpontin
    mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
    6 Mar 2007 - 1:34 PM

John, I was only pointing out that it couldn't be made mandatory to upload an original along with the final image, so that's not a decision that would need to be taken.

Doug

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2007 - 2:45 PM

It's a good idea and one we have planned to be added once the new site is launched.

culturedcanvas

Could prove itself very useful ....

Smile

NickParry
    NickParry  81016 forum posts Wales79 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2007 - 6:36 PM

What a great idea Wink

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2007 - 8:48 PM

Well found Nick...and the feature is now live...although broken this evening. If anyone tries the before and after feature please upload the after pic first. Then contact us through the report system so we can make the extra upload option live for you. This bug will be fixed tomorrow am.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.