Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

An old saying about a modern obsession

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
MeanGreeny
19 Feb 2009 - 10:45 AM

Heard a phrase again today which I'd completely forgotten about:

"Asking a photographer what model of camera he uses is like asking a writer what model of typewriter he uses"

I think we [myself also guilty in the past] have got too concerned about gear and less about vision, attitude and intent.

Given the number of questions at the moment which start "Should I get the Canon xyzD or the Nikon Dxyz or the Sony Axyz should we be saying something other than praising the brand/system we happen to have bought into and feel the need to justify ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Feb 2009 - 10:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digipix76
digipix76  7577 forum posts England
19 Feb 2009 - 11:06 AM

I think we have got too concerned about gear and less about vision, attitude and intent.......Totaly agree

Ian

Last Modified By digipix76 at 19 Feb 2009 - 11:07 AM
joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 11:08 AM

Quote: I think we [myself also guilty in the past] have got too concerned about gear and less about vision, attitude and intent.

Absolutely. Agree 110%.

RokGeetar
RokGeetar  5202 forum posts England
19 Feb 2009 - 11:15 AM

Totally agree. Cameras are just tools to record the vision. Another saying "a bad workman blames his tools" comes to mind, and the opposite is also true, "an artist can use any brush".

It's so easy to lose track of what's important - if the end result is good, then the means (whatever they involve) are justified.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 11:35 AM

Or how about a photo variation of another phrase - Many batteries make flashlight work.

Or

A stitch in time saves a 9 shot panorama

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 11:35 AM

I see what your saying, But the old " What Have You Got " thing applies equally in other areas.....Sad

One that springs to mind is " What car do you drive " ...AAaaagghh..!

That ones my pet hate, Standard reply is a red one, Or a hatchback, .......Or whatever springs to mind....LOL...Smile Depending on who has asked....!

If they are a right pain in the rear, An answer like Ferrari F40 can be a right laugh.....Smile

Next up is " What HiFi " .........Geeeeezzzzzz, I'm off......!

Snapper
Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 11:36 AM

Quote: Given the number of questions at the moment which start "Should I get the Canon xyzD or the Nikon Dxyz or the Sony Axyz should we be saying something other than praising the brand/system we happen to have bought into and feel the need to justify ?

Have to say that it is one of my first jobs on the forum every day to go through all the camera threads and hide them. Utterly painless and saves all the angst! Wink

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 11:48 AM

I fully agree that too much emphasis is placed on kit - however it does have some relevance. Otherwise we would all be walking round with 1000D's rather then 5Ds, 1Ds etc.

podgod
podgod  10494 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 11:55 AM

I once worked with someone who was looking to buy a new camera, so he researched the topic in various magazines, websites and even asked my opinion. Every time he made his choice, an article would be published on a new camera that was just that little bit 'better', so, in the four years I worked with him, he never owned a camera and probably spent enough money on magazines to buy a camera that he said was out of his range.

aftertherain
19 Feb 2009 - 12:03 PM

Quote: one of my first jobs on the forum every day to go through all the camera threads and hide them

Didn't know you could do that - now I'm off to look Smile

john64
john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
19 Feb 2009 - 3:30 PM

I'm sure I once saw on here a story about a photographer who went to dinner at a friend's house.

His friend's wife said something like "I've seen some of your photos, they're lovely, you must have a very good camera".

After dinner, the photographer said " That was a lovely meal, you must have some very good pans".

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 3:32 PM

Quote:
After dinner, the photographer said " That was a lovely meal, you must have some very good pans".

I've actually used a line, similar to that, in real life in a similar situation.

It didn't go down all that well..................... strangely enough! Grin

PR
PR  6181 forum posts England
19 Feb 2009 - 3:46 PM

Quote: I think we have got too concerned about gear and less about vision, attitude and intent

Absolutley agree, but dont you think think the manufacturers have a lot to answer for bringing new models out like there's no tomorrow. everytime you open a magazine/internet there seems to be an updated this or a new improved that, ok I know you cant stop progress, but how much technology do you need to take a good photograph ?

Last Modified By PR at 19 Feb 2009 - 3:47 PM
randomrubble
19 Feb 2009 - 5:25 PM

As photography is primarily a technical it's actually all about the gear.

I know that I take different pictures when I use my lensbaby as opposed to my Canon lenses. I also make different images with my old manual focus FD cameras as opposed to my DSLRs...

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 5:40 PM

Your're right. It is about the gear. But the gear should always be subservient to the image and the image to the idea.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.