Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

An open note to all Shops big and small,

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    graceland
    graceland  92378 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2011 - 3:03 PM

An open note to all Shops big and small,
    Please Think of the wheelchair user this christmas
    Don't leave boxes in the way ,we got to be-able to move around all this stuff
    i know you want to sell as much as you can ,but if i decide i can't get around your shop i won't buy anything !
    So please think before you fill your floor space !!
    A wheelchair user ...............................................................

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Dec 2011 - 3:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2011 - 5:35 PM

To right Robin.....!!!

It makes life for wheelchair users a nightmare, Its also a potential hazzard to the safety of everyone, For instance Fire Exits, Or a means to evacuate a building in an orderly " Hurry " ....!!!

Not to mention the actual " Fire " risk from combustable materials strewn all over the place.....!!!

Come on Shops & Shopping malls......Keep an eye on the situation....!!!!!!!

cmawson
    cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Dec 2011 - 7:13 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

My wife is disabled, and a recent trip to our local Tesco resulted in me complaining to the manager that one of the aisles was too tight with a display stand & that her wheel chair knocked it over as we were manoeuvring around a corner. She was very polite & apologised saying she would get on to it right away.

Another trip to our local Debenhams, in order to get my wife some make-up, was also so tightly packed with displays that she couldn't manoeuvre see what was available & had to ask an assistant for help. Not ideal at this busy time of year (or at any other time).

So, please make sure that your shops, stalls, or areas are easily reached by ALL. Thank you.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Dec 2011 - 9:00 AM

I recently retired from Her Majesties Prison Service.
    At my last prison we had a large number of prisoners with varying types of wheelchairs.
    As the prison service has a "duty of care to prisoner" we instigated a training programme for all staff on the correct methods of handling wheelchairs.
    The training was split into two elements, the disabled person and the carer.
    Each and every member of staff took the course as both a disabled person and the carer
    On every course we ran the two most consistent comments were.
    " I did not realise how difficult it is to manouver a wheel chair"
    "If I see someone in a wheelchair I will ask if they need assisstance"

We also carried out extensive construction alterations, ramps, wide doors, toiletry facilities, lower shelfs etc etc.
    If any readers are in a position to instigate this sought of training in their workplace I am certain they and their staff will find it invaluable

bangalicious
    15 Dec 2011 - 2:14 PM

Amen to the OP.
    A polite complaint to the store manager should sort it, mention H&S etc and they should do it right a way.

graceland
    graceland  92378 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Dec 2011 - 3:11 PM

thank you all pleses repost where and when you can Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.