Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

And now the G1X!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ChrisV
ChrisV  7761 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2012 - 4:46 PM

Now this is an interesting camera.

The speed of the lens is a little disappointing and yes, it does of course lose some of the flexibility offered by being able to change lenses. Still it offers quality in a package so compact only Panasonic's anagrammatic [hats off to DPReview for that one!] GX1 can compare - and that with expensive retractable kit lens with lesser range and of course no OVF.

For an unobtrusive and portable shooter/backup camera, this one really does have my mouth watering... If I needed a quality back-up/street camera now [and with twin-dial control -fabulous!] this would certainly be near the top of the list. In fact does anyone want to buy a 550D?Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jan 2012 - 4:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315156 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2012 - 5:23 PM

Fuji X10 ?

ikett
ikett  3339 forum posts England
9 Jan 2012 - 5:38 PM

First reactions; yeah seems like great idea, not to big Width 116.7mm Height 80.5mm Depth 64.7mm, for the sensor size, the metering option seem a bit limited.
Metering, Centre-weighted and Spot, spot cool used it for years on my F1's; centre-weighted: not sure.
Not sure about the 28-112mm lens, would much prefer 24-100, if it gives EOS quality it may sell, but at 700 a second DSLR body would make (to me) more sense.
Running away to dodge the flak, oh and I am a Canon user since 1971 hatches down and battoned.

Last Modified By ikett at 9 Jan 2012 - 5:41 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315156 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2012 - 5:43 PM

The good bits the sensor size, more or less the same as M4/3 or 4/3, the speed of the lens is a little disappointing.

User_Removed
9 Jan 2012 - 5:53 PM

You'd have to say the X10 trumps it in a few areas. Side-by-side comparison.

When the reviews and the picture quality comparisons arrive that will be interesting.

lemmy
lemmy  71811 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Jan 2012 - 6:14 PM

They really do think the UK is treasure Island, don't they?

$799 at today's exchange rate = 518. That puts it in a rather different bracket in the UK from the USA. Whatever, value for money that is not. An extra 180 here Sad

ChrisV
10 Jan 2012 - 11:34 AM

Paul/Chris

Surely a more sensible comparison would be the X100? It wouldn't be fair [and I seriously wouldn't expect] the X10 to compare on image quality.

The X100 on the other hand might be expected to better the G1X's image quality, but there are problems:

It's bigger, it's more expensive and that fast prime that's fixed there, lovely as it is, severely limits the flexibility of the camera.

I didn't realise the metering [GX1] was limited to spot and centre-weight - that's a bit more of a concern, but I suppose it depends on what you use it for/typical shooting style.

As for the difference in price US/UK a sizable chunk of that can be accounted for by 20% VAT - but it's true I think we d tend to pay a premium over our colonial cousins. I expect the price will fall though...

User_Removed
10 Jan 2012 - 11:53 AM

We all want to leave the DSLR at home sometimes. We all want a camera we can carry all the time that can actually take a decent photo. There's lots of tempting small cameras but if you have to carry them round your neck or in a little case you might as well take an SLR and a walkaround lens.

The G series are just too big for jeans and t-shirt days, you need a coat pocket for them. That's why I bought an S95. It really does fit easily in your pocket and you don't notice you've got it. It takes cracking images, shoots in raw, has a fast lens, shoots HD video in the dark, is an absolute steal since the S100 arrived.

There are always slightly better cameras but you can't carry them all the time.

ChrisV
10 Jan 2012 - 1:14 PM

Yeah, it's always about the compromise you're willing to make for convenience. I have a Fuji F500 glued to my hip [it would fit easily into a trouser pocket]. The IQ's pretty reasonable and it has a huge zoom range. I wouldn't expect the quality to be even up to your S95, but it's damn convenient.

The problem with CSCs for me [aside from lacking OVF which I'd always ideally like to have] is once you add a lens with flexible range, you throw away a lot of that convenience factor. (I find the new Panasonic collapsible designs very attractive for that reason - but they're very expensive).

But we're all different in terms of what we want/where we fall in the compromises we make.

This camera - if it delivers IQ similar to what I'd expect from my 550D - sounds like something I'd like to have in a pouch on my belt. I probably wouldn't get rid of the 550D simply because it turns my 70-200 2.8L into something that gives me a 320mm reach with a fast aperture while the 24-105 can sit on my 5DII.

But that's just me being greedy...

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2012 - 2:06 PM

Quote: They really do think the UK is treasure Island, don't they?

$799 at today's exchange rate = 518. That puts it in a rather different bracket in the UK from the USA. Whatever, value for money that is not. An extra 180 here Sad

Remember sales tax is usually exclusive in the States, so you are comparing a rate before VAT to a rate with VAT included. There is a gap but not quite that big.

lemmy
lemmy  71811 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Jan 2012 - 2:29 PM

Quote: Remember sales tax is usually exclusive in the States, so you are comparing a rate before VAT to a rate with VAT included. There is a gap but not quite that big.

True. Anything's better than Adobe who have a habit of using an exchange rate of 1 = $1 !

It's still quite a big gap, though, even if you allow for VAT and sales tax. When I was a pro it was well worth while going to New York to buy Nikon gear. There was a place with all these amazingly hostile and rude Jewish guys with the ringlets and black hats. Loads of the Fleet Street freelancers would go there. They wouldn't discuss anything ('listen, it's 200 bucks, you want it or you don't?'), just take your money and give you a box with the gear in. They were the camera dealer equivalent of Ryanair. Loads of the Fleet Street freelancers would go there.

Worth it all, though, the prices often came in at half or better than London so a couple of F bodies and motors, 180 and 300 lens and you were well in. Amazing how much of this gear got scratched and looked like it was used before it got back to the UK. Customs cottoned on eventually, though.

Paul Morgan
10 Jan 2012 - 11:13 PM

700 for a fixed lens compact with a Micro four thirdish sized sensor, I know what I`d be spending my money on Smile

ChrisV
11 Jan 2012 - 12:00 AM

Quote: 700 for a fixed lens compact with a Micro four thirdish sized sensor, I know what I`d be spending my money on Smile

Yeah you're right - if it's not a second camera and size isn't an issue, it's a DSLR every time. Wink

Like I say, it's whereabouts the compromise is useful for you, personally. If I'm going to carry something I notice the weight and bulk of, it may as well be the best thing I can get [and can afford].

M4/3 involves certain compromises against [even] APSc DSLRs. Whether that's sensitivity, DR, metering, frame rate, lens choice, or OVF, they're there. They may not matter to you and some of them may be on the way to being overcome... In the end we're all riding different courses - that's the beauty of photography and why there's always likely to be so many different choices on the market.

User_Removed
11 Jan 2012 - 12:08 AM

Lemmy that sounds like B&H Photo - which I think is a great store to visit and a must see for any photographer going to NYC.

Chris, when do you think you'd buy if you decide to? I doubt the street price will be 700.

Why have you ruled out the S95 or S100?

Steppenwolf
11 Jan 2012 - 9:42 AM

Quote: Remember sales tax is usually exclusive in the States, so you are comparing a rate before VAT to a rate with VAT included. There is a gap but not quite that big.

True. Anything's better than Adobe who have a habit of using an exchange rate of 1 = $1 !

It's still quite a big gap, though, even if you allow for VAT and sales tax.

Remember that the overheads on retailers are much higher in the UK than in the US. Property costs vastly more here and company taxes and local rates are much higher. Also the US is a much bigger market - the more units you can sell the lower the profit margin needs to be, and the better deal you can get from the supplier.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.