Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Android Phone with a good camera (July 2012)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cymroDan
cymroDan  7174 forum posts
2 Jul 2012 - 4:28 PM

Hi all, I'm due an upgrade in a couple of days, and after being stuck with an HTC Wildfire for 2 years, I'm very much looking forward to a newer model. I'm looking at avoiding complete budget smart phones this time round, though still prefer it not to be too big in size. Something like the HTC One S seems one possibility at the moment.

The camera on my wildfire was awful. Average quality, but more annoyingly just such a lack of reaction from it. There'd always be a delay when pressing the shutter, and shutter speeds would often be so low that camera shake would affect most pictures - with no way to manually control anything from shutter speed to aperture.

So, I ask here if anyone has any recommendations for an android smart phone, running 4.0, which has a good camera that won't disappoint me? I don't expect it to replace my Nikon D7000 - but would like to produce semi decent images when I'm caught without my DSLR.

In addition, if the sound quality of recorded videos are decent - it'd be a great addition. I tried recording a few vids on my Wildfire at an acoustic night - and the sound is absolutely awful.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jul 2012 - 4:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 4:39 PM

I always buy a mobile phone with the camera an added extra which I never use. It is a phone that I want and terefore I carry a compact Ricoh R9 for unexpected photo opportunities. There is an old maxim called the KISS Principle.....................keep it simple ....................... You can do what you wish but to me phones and cameras are separate entities, as you seem to have discovered.

cymroDan
2 Jul 2012 - 4:56 PM

Interesting viewpoint, and I see where you're coming from. But I personally don't feel like your viewpoint matches mine.

There are cameraphones out there now which would be such a great improvement on the poor camera I've got on my phone at the moment. I also would not have room to carry a compact with me - i often travel without a bag of any kind, and with a wallet, keys and phone, I have no room for a compact on me. So I do wish to have both a camera and phone in one device.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 5:04 PM

If you want the best camera, the Nokia 808 is the one to go for. But it's Symbian, not Android.

cymroDan
2 Jul 2012 - 5:33 PM

Cheers Carabosse. Think I'll be sticking to Android though, so looking for anything "good", doesn't have to be the very best or have too many MPs

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 5:37 PM

dESIREHD old but excellent 12Mp camera imo

MrGoatsmilk
2 Jul 2012 - 5:54 PM

I have the Desire HD very good phone and was replaced by the sensation, both good cameras. I use mine a lot for times when out and about without a dslr and don't wont to carry a compact think the desire hd is 8mp and records 720p video.

I have seen the camera on the Galaxy S3 and it's very good, just not sure if the phone could be easy to break my friend dropped admitly no case and the screen went, he may be unlucky or just clumsy and without a case so sort of expected maybe.

GSM arena is a good site to look at phone specs on

Stu

MrGoatsmilk
2 Jul 2012 - 5:56 PM

Also hear the HTC one had signal issues due to the antena being shielded by the phone case itself, otherwise that could also have been worth a look

redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Jul 2012 - 6:05 PM

Samsung galaxy phones have always had very good cameras.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 6:42 PM

Sorry DESIREHD is 8Mp yes Grin

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8973 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 7:37 PM

s2 or s3

bppowell
bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 9:03 PM

I have the HTC Desire HD and would not recommend it as a camera phone, video is good.

I get the occasional good image but most of the images I take with it are not very good.

They are OK as a snapshot but you would not upload many to EPZ.

On the other hand this could just be down to the user Grin

Barry

Last Modified By bppowell at 2 Jul 2012 - 9:03 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 9:04 PM

Nope, it is sh*t, Barry....Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 9:10 PM

Camera on my Galaxy Note seems pretty good, no idea what the resolution is but the shots/video are fine for me.

Quote: There is an old maxim called the KISS Principle.....................keep it simple .......................

but it is simpler to carr a phone than carry a camera and a phone...

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 2 Jul 2012 - 9:12 PM
ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 10:52 PM

I have a galaxy 2 Android phone and it has a half decent camera on it as long as you shoot in good light.
It has 8 mega pixels but then i don't care too much about that as we all know cramming pixels on a tiny sensor does nothing for low light photography.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.