Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Angry and Disappointed.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
User_Removed
8 Feb 2011 - 2:55 PM

Although I am not a Scottish Nationalist, I am beginning to understand how a few ignorant morons can unfairly lead to the English being despised by the other nations in the UK.

The results are out this morning of the "Great British Photograph" competition run by Archant (Photography Monthly). The competition was supposed to find the best photograph for each county in the UK, with the winner from each county going into a "national final".

As I say, the results are published today and, to my horror, each of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are classified as single "counties".

There are at least 26 counties in Scotland and I entered photographs from five of them. I am sure Wales has at least a dozen counties and NI has six.

I certainly don't hate the English but I do hate ignorant imbeciles like those who organised this competition.

Well, that's one magazine subscription that will not be renewed.

Sermon over.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Feb 2011 - 2:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peterkin
peterkin  10618 forum posts England
8 Feb 2011 - 4:19 PM

You appear to have a legitimate complaint about the terms of the competition, as far as I can judge; but why bring Nationality into it? Your complaint is against a magazine not a Nation. Isn't the editor Grant Scott? With names like that he may have some Scottish blood. But it doesn't sound fair if they aren't sticking to the spirit of the competition terms.

Peter

SteveCharles
8 Feb 2011 - 4:23 PM

Maybe it's a typo? Perhaps the 'R' doesn't work on someone's keyboard?

kaybee
kaybee  93697 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 6:32 PM

Have you been in touch with them about it?

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 6:58 PM

Thank you so much for raising this as an issue. It bugs my ar*e when I encounter it; which is practically every other day. In fact it bugged my ar*e so much I started a similar thread last August - here.

I think all we want is to be treated with a bit of respect and categorising Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales as the equivalent of counties in England shows utter disrespect.

If that's how Photography Monthly are going to treat us Celts then stuff 'em I won't buy their magazine either.

User_Removed
8 Feb 2011 - 7:00 PM

Yes - and angry e-mail followed up by a more reasonable letter:

Grant Scott
Photography Monthly
Archant House
Oriel Road
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
GL50 1BB

Dear Grant,

“Great British Photograph” Competition

We have had an exchange of e-mails on this subject but I sometimes think that e-mail communications are treated less seriously than written communications and that we are all tempted to use more flippant language in e-mails than we would in any official document. I am therefore sending this letter as an official complaint about the above competition.

When this competition was promoted, over a number of months last year, in Photography Monthly, the remit and conditions were very clear. Readers were invited to submit photographs for judging on a county-by-county basis, with a winner being selected for each county in Britain, with those county winners then going into a national final. My complaint is that it now appears that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were each conglomerated into the equivalent of one county each. Apart from the political insult of downgrading three of the UK nations to the same status as English counties, this involves serious discrimination against photographers in those three countries.

In common with, I am sure, many other entrants, I spent a lot of time and money travelling to different counties to take photographs as entries to the competition. I entered photographs from, at least, the counties of East Lothian, Clackmannanshire, Stirlingshire, Perth & Kinross, Fife and Argyllshire. Of course, one does not spend that time and money in the expectation of winning a competition – that would be naive and foolish. But one does it in the firm expectation that the competition will be run fairly and judged in accordance with the published brief.

As someone who, for a number of years, contributed a monthly article to one of Archant’s magazines (Sporting Shooter), I am very disappointed at the discriminatory and unprofessional way this competition has been run.

Yours sincerely,

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Feb 2011 - 7:01 PM
Ewanneil
Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 7:14 PM

A brilliant letter. Please let us know if you get a reply.

Keep up the good work.

User_Removed
8 Feb 2011 - 7:25 PM

I have also written, in similar terms, to Land Rover - who sponsored the competition.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 7:32 PM

Have you posted on their forum?

KevSB
KevSB  101390 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 7:35 PM

would like to see the reply also, this seems very unfair as scotland has such diverse landscapes

Lynx08
Lynx08 e2 Member 61209 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
8 Feb 2011 - 7:46 PM

Being Scottish, this has really annoyed me!! also, lots, if not most, of the beautiful scenery in the UK is in Scotland and it should therefore have just as much options available in a competition. It would be good to see if they have the dignity to reply with some sort of reasoning or excuse for this.

Lyn

jazzygf
jazzygf  10537 forum posts Scotland
8 Feb 2011 - 8:08 PM

Thank you for once I Agree with everything you have said, your letter so right also. The landscape on the west coast of scotland can change from one county to another and as you have stated it is not right to advertise a county by county comp and then change it to county & county in England and leaving the last three countries as one single area. Do they not know the landscape of the UK?

Let us know how you get on with this please

Last Modified By jazzygf at 8 Feb 2011 - 8:09 PM
KevSB
KevSB  101390 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 8:38 PM

unfortunately Double standards apply, this weekend two friends came down from Scotland for an event, later in the restaurant pub the Scottish notes were refused and only ourselves swapping the notes made the situation resolved as the landlord said it was company policy, I thought this was illegal to do but seems its common practice, while understanding the reasons it does not make it right to do so.

Personally I would have stood my ground and im not sure what the pub could have done about it as calling the police would not have been an option but out guests did not want to cause a fuss.
As someone bought up in england I am quite proud to have a nation like Scotland alongside us but you can understand why nationalism is popular in Scotland.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 8:41 PM

On the notes thing, which is somewhat off topic, I find the closer you are to the border on the southern side the less the level of suspicion.

Would be interested to see this posted on the pm website where it may prompt a more timely response.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85744 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 8:51 PM

Would love to know the response to the letterSmile

Fully supportive toward your grievances.

Re the note thing, only living a few miles away from Corby, for the last 20 years, it is common practise to see Scottish notes being exchanged on a regular basis, without any fussWink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.