Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Angry Rant, apologies in advance.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mike5537
mike5537  1 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 - 3:50 PM

I'm annoyed.

I've only recently bought my D7000, had it for about a month and now I go and see they have just bought out the replacement D7100. I asked everyone I know, I looked on the internet, I asked in shops to make sure that this very thing would not happen and I was told that they knew of no plans for replacement. It's happened to me with my mobile phone twice as well, I get a new one and it replacement comes out weeks afterwards and I'm stuck with inferior technology for the same price as the update but by then its too late. I get that manufacturers don't like to give out dates for the replacements to gain as many sales as possible but it does seem unfair on those of us who just spent a grand on a camera that is out of date so soon after purchase. Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? I know the camera is still a great bit of kit and I love using it, it just...... leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Sorry for the rant, it just makes me so angry!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Feb 2013 - 3:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

It happens all the time. Cameras, computers, phones, iPads, etc. Its progress in a competitive market. If there is a big trade show coming up (like Focus) then you can pretty much guarantee the main manufactures are going to be releasing new kit.

Enjoy the camera you have. There isnt anything wrong with it and if they hadnt just released the latest 'carrot' you would still be happy with what you have

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 3:56 PM

Quote: I'm stuck with inferior technology for the same price as the update

It is an annoying situation.
However, the price you bought it would be much lower compared to the launch price. For the new D7100 to get down to the price you paid on D7000, you would have to wait for quite a while.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 3:59 PM

Don't worry about it, go take pictures and enjoy what you have, it's more than likely you would not even notice the improvements if you had the new camera, I use a 5dmk 2 and it does everything I need and it's nearly 5 years old now and still popular. Chasing new models will not improve your photography , nor your bank balance.

JohnParminter
21 Feb 2013 - 4:02 PM

Quote: Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me?

Just you I think Mike.

I bought a pair of jeans about 8 years ago and still wear them today, much to my wife's disbelief and my children's embarrassment, but they still function perfectly well for the purpose they were intended for so I see no reason to upgrade them to a different pair.

I have a similar philosophy in cameras, I'm happy to report as well.

Smile

chris.maddock
21 Feb 2013 - 4:20 PM

It's not as bad as when the Canon EOS D60 was replaced by the 10D - for about 500 less than the older model IIRC, which did cause dealers a few problems.
There were shops still trying to shift their D60 stock at the old price over a year later. In fact, I think I saw a Jessops ad which still had the D60 on it (at the original price) when the 10D had been replaced too.

thewilliam
21 Feb 2013 - 4:20 PM

You'll probably never even notice the difference in pixel count unless you're making large prints, Also, the advance in technology is incremental rather than revolutionary.

We try to use our digital bodies for 5 or even 6 years so, for most of that time, we're using something that's obselete. What really matters is your vision and that should improve with time!

mike5537
mike5537  1 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 - 4:23 PM

I get that a new camera wouldn't make me a better photographer and that my 7k is probably going to be more capable than I am for years to come, I own clothes that have outlived my cars so I don't normally get bothered by new releases, but when it comes to technology it winds me up. I guess its just that the advances are so great, a pair of trousers is just a pair of trousers so who cares when a replacement comes along, but the difference in technology versions can be huge. and for the sake of the extra 200 odd quid it would have cost me for the 7100 I would have waited the extra month had I but known.

I think I'll just accept that I'm the king of bad timing and learn to be grateful for what I do have!

franken
franken e2 Member 113098 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 4:34 PM

Nikon are saying its not a replacement for the D7000.

See comments here:-

[quote]The Nikon D7100 is the long awaited update to the D7000, although Nikon pointed out that the D7100 doesn't replace the D7000, it simply sits next to it. The Nikon D7100 has a new 24.1 megapixel APS-C DX sized sensor without the optical low pass filter.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62450 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 - 5:18 PM

On the positive side you could end up saving money Grin
The going rate for a new D7000 was about 650 when you bought it.
The launch price for the D7100, assuming you can get one at the end of March, seems to be 1099.
Maybe after about nine months the D7100 street price will fall to about 800 and D7000 second-hand price could still be about 400, a trade up price of about 400.
You have your D7000 now. You might get a D7100 in 2-3 months for about 450 more than you paid for your D7000.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7763 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 5:23 PM

Sorry Mike, but I think I'm going to have to agree with you - I too would be frustrated had I just bought the older model. It does look like a fairly significant upgrade.

If it's really eating you, you could always consider selling the D7000 and upgrading. You might be taking another 100 hit and face the hassle of shifting it/doing without during the changeover, but long term you may be happier.

It used to be the case that new models were fairly extensively leaked, but these days the big camera makers appear to be better at keeping schtumm than the notoriously secretive Apple whose products are now usually fairly accurately anticipated on the whole.

lemmy
lemmy  71814 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 - 6:50 PM

The only way around it would be to wait for a new mode to be introduced and then buy it. Few of us want to do that.

Trouble is, if a maker were to tell you when a new model was coming out, sales of the old camera would cease from then on. The only way would be to research the maker's past update record and try to surmise from that when a new model is likely to appear.

On the other hand, from what LenShepherd says, the new model is a lot dearer. I bet it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to your pictures. After all, if you view your pictures on a monitor your computer only has to interpolate down by 14,000,000 pixels whereas with the new one it must throw away 22,000,000.

And if printing at 12x8, it only has to reject 7,000,000 rather than 15,000,000. Think of the billions of pixels you will save from landfill over the happy years of ownership of the new camera. Society will be grateful to you Wink

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 7:01 PM

Enjoy the new camera its a gem Tongue

Rod

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022900 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 7:03 PM

You haven't been gazzumped. You bought the 7000 and now they have released another camera above yours in the Nikon hierarchy.

Snapper
Snapper  93731 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 7:07 PM

WEX currently want 642 for the D7000 and are quoting 1099 for a pre-order on the D7100, so they're really not in the same price range at the moment. Enjoy your D7000 for a year or so and then swap it for a D7100 when its price drops by 200 or 300.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.