Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Angry Rant, apologies in advance.

thewilliam 6 4.9k
21 Feb 2013 9:10PM
The consensus seems to be that the D7100 is an additional model in the Nikon line-up rather than a repl;acement for the D7000. Maybe Nikon should have given it a different name and then folk wouldn't be so upset!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

21 Feb 2013 9:49PM
Mike,
Please enjoy your beautiful kit you have rather than envy something else.

I have the same camera and it is a joy . Manufacturers feed off people wanting the latest, bestest, shiniest thing.

Your camera is amazing, enjoy it !
LVanDhal 2 126 1 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 2:00AM

Quote: a pair of trousers is just a pair of trousers!

GASP- How could you write that !!! Have you NEVER seen Vogue!!!
22 Feb 2013 8:29AM

Quote:
I've only recently bought my D7000, had it for about a month and now I go and see they have just bought out the replacement D7100. I asked everyone I know, I looked on the internet, I asked in shops to make sure that this very thing would not happen and I was told that they knew of no plans for replacement.

There's been a fair bit of rumour and speculation on the net about the D300s/D7000 models. The D300s is basically a 5 year old design and the D7000 has been out for some time. There have been rumours that the D400 was just round the corner for months but that rumour gradually merged into the possibility of the D7000/D300s lines being merged. I think it was fairly obvious that a D7100 or a D400 were due very soon.

However, it'll be some time before the D7100 comes down to the price you paid for the D7000 - and the D7000 is still a very good camera.
collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 9:02AM
Welcome to the real world!
M22s 3 36 1
22 Feb 2013 9:02AM
D7k is no less of a camera now than it was a month ago. It did what you wanted then, and still will. Just enjoy it! It won't disappoint!
mike5537 1 15 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 10:36AM
I know everyone is right and I am wrong, I love my camera. It just grinds that it keeps happening to me! Anyways, on to bigger and better things. I have to get some practice at portraits pics as I have a friend finally willing to pose for me, plus some equestrian work in the pipeline and that is going to be a challenge!

Thanks for the reality check people!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 11:28AM
In the other direction, I delayed buying the 7D because of the presumed product cycle time and rumoured release of 7D2: I ended up buying the 7D because were were going to Canada and the mk2 has still not been released 18m later.
Also, I have stalled buying the OM-D because of strong rumours of the Panny GX2 - and a year later I am still waiting. Ho hum.

So damend if you do, damned if you don't: buy what you need when you need it and don't waste picture time.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 1:20PM
The 7100 camera is quite different with a 1.3x crop mode - Just as canon seem to be dropping 1.3 Nikon start providing it?

There are rumours sites for nikon/canon but i'd not see the 7100 mentioned.

As said the price you paid vs the other price you'd pay are often quite different - last time i waited and waited for an upgrade, then could not afford it anyway for 6 months. I'd now buy and use rather than wait in future.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 1:30PM

Quote:The 7100 camera is quite different with a 1.3x crop mode - Just as canon seem to be dropping 1.3 Nikon start providing it?

But its quite different isn't it? As far as I can tell, the 1.3 crop is ontop of the 1.5 APS-C 'crop' so is quite different to the 1.3 of the Canon 1D. And as far as I can tell, this additional 1.3 crop mode is there to have the focus points fill the viewable area - what advantage that makes I don't know.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 1:34PM
Thanks Mike, I think i'll have to re-read the specs again - maybe a switchable mode then for video.
thewilliam 6 4.9k
22 Feb 2013 1:51PM
The Kodak DCs760 had a 1.3 crop ratio and I thought it was unique. Our DX lenses worked happily with the slightly larger sensor, except for the 17-55 which darkened the corners at the wide end.
Cagey75 e2
3 42 Ireland
22 Feb 2013 2:38PM
Yeah, just get out and shoot. The body you've bought isn't in the same price range, you weren't conned or cheated or hard done by. You've bought a good body at a price much less than they were when first released. By your logic, you got a killer deal towards those who happened to buy a D7000 before the price crashed! Should they be miffed? knowing you got the same thing for much less??

Just use the thing and enjoy. There will always be something new around the corner ... so what? A newer model won't make you take better pictures.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.