Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Another beginner DSLR question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bikemental
    11 Oct 2009 - 10:46 AM

Firstly let me apologise for asking yet another beginners DSLR question.

I am going to buy my first DSLR.
    I intend to use it for arty/atmospheric projects in landscape, buildings, portraits, nightime and low light conditions.
    My ambition is to have exhibitions which may involve printing up to around 24" x 24".

I am keen to learn through trial and error, reading and experimentation how to get the results I want. So I am not really looking
    for a camera that's going to hold my hand with lots of guides for beginners.

From what I've read the Nikon seems better ergonomically designed than the Canon with controls where you want them when you need them.
    On that basis I am tending towards Nikon but this is purely based on reading reviews.

In terms of budget I could stretch to a Nikon D90 but that would leave me nothing to spend on anything else.

I suppose the question I am asking is would do a D60 do the job I need or do I need to go for a D90 or something in between?
    I have used Nikon as an example but I have no objection to buying Canon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

George

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Oct 2009 - 10:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redstag
    redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2009 - 10:59 AM

Best advice, go to Jessops (or any good retailer depending on where you are based) and have a play.
    Most camera shops are run by enthusiasts, so they will have used a lot of the cameras in anger and can offer help (although in my experience Jessops can be a bit patchy in this respect, the Nottingham and Leicester branches are superb, and very helpful, whereas in Salisbury where I currently work, they are appalling!)
    Get the camera in your hands and see which feels the most intuiative to you. I use Canon, and always have since my old AE1 program back in the 80s. Their controls have remained simple to use throughout this time, so I won't be changing soon!
    I tried a Nikon once and it did my head in. Just because it didn't make sense to my simple Canon brain. I guess what I am saying is choose carefully, the first one you buy will influence the cameras you buy in the future. Both Canon and Nikon are superb in their way, but I would always recommend Canon over Nikon. If you are considering Nikon, Sony may also be worth a look. I may be wrong but I remember hearing that Nikon use Sony processors. (Or is that old news?)
    Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose.

Jon

User_Removed
    11 Oct 2009 - 11:09 AM

Quote: I have used Nikon as an example but I have no objection to buying Canon.

I use Canon and stick with it because of comfort and lenses I have, but if you have experience of Nikon SLRs you will probably find a Nikon more comfortable.

If you've got nothing invested in any brand trying them out really is the best advice - I doubt that you'd be disappointed whichever you go for.

cannyman
    cannyman  6123 forum posts
    11 Oct 2009 - 11:50 AM

Using Canon cameras for a long time, I thought I would try Nikon, so went for the D90. First things first, the difference between the manuals is amazing. Canon 5D small, Nikon D90 huge. So Nikon is more complex, which I found. I like the king size LCD on the Nikon.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
    11 Oct 2009 - 12:12 PM

The Nikon D50 was my introduction to digital photography. I chose Nikon as I previously had and F80, liked it very much and had the right lenses. I found it easy to use and I like the photos I took with it.

I recently bought the D90 and so far I'm very pleased. It's a very capable camera, very well built and so far I love it.

As previous posters said: go in a camera shop and try handling the cameras + chose the one you're the most at ease with and within your budget.

For the type of photos you want to do a zoom in the range of 17-70mm (Sigma does a great one with macro facility).

Good luck in your search, JNC

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2009 - 1:00 PM

Quote: stretch to a Nikon D90 but that would leave me nothing to spend on anything else

What about the D5000 then...? Same resolution, Same High ISO performance, Geared towards the learner, Snazzy swivel LCD, Its got a lot going for it...Smile

Avoid the D60, This camera has no means of driving the AF on some lens, Hence your restricted in lens choice, That and its the old type CCD sensor, Whilst the D5000/D90 etc etc all have the much better " CMOS " sensors....!!!

EDIT: Thats why the D60 is so much cheaper, But its not quite the bargain it seems....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 11 Oct 2009 - 1:02 PM
    User_Removed
    11 Oct 2009 - 3:19 PM

Quote: Avoid the D60

In spades!!!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.