Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Another grey importer?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Britman
    Britman  81669 forum posts England
    11 Mar 2013 - 9:16 PM

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have any experience with 'eglobaldigitalstore' seems to be another grey importer. A Canon 6D for less then £1200, yeah, no. That's even cheaper then digitalrev who we know to be a grey importer.
    Anyway couldn't find an address.

P.S. I don't want to give then the click back so didn't add a direct link to the site. Add .co.uk to the name if you want to take a look.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Mar 2013 - 9:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
    puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2013 - 11:33 PM

On the "about us" it tells you they are from Hong Kong. They're certainly cheap, in fact far cheaper than Panamoz

Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6535 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Mar 2013 - 9:56 AM

Sounds like another thumbs up for the local camera shop! What would happen if the 6D broke? At least with the local shop you can take it back. Sure online is cheaper, but they tend to be cheap for a reason. That extra few hundred quid may well be worth saving up.

samueldilworth
    12 Mar 2013 - 10:17 AM

Google tells me this is a new website with almost all of its traffic in the last few weeks, a handful of obviously fake positive reviews, huge numbers of terrible reviews (those are the real customers), and web-page content reused across dozens of largely identical scam sites.

Sounds like a good website to assiduously avoid. Theyíll never ship you a camera at the advertised price, so why convince yourself they might? The website itself has a hundred warning signs for anyone who pays close attention.

If it sounds too good to be true it always is, on the web.

User_Removed
    12 Mar 2013 - 11:34 AM

People tend to go running to review sites when things go wrong rather than when things are normal. A friend's brother bought from them and is pleased with things. They sometimes like to see good proof of id to check that someone isn't using your credit card. They do have good reviews too.

Talk to your credit card company before buying, credit card company will be ultimately responsible if there's a problem with the goods.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2013 - 12:55 PM

Whether or not it's wholly representative, companies don't get dozens of poor reviews in a short space of time for no reason. This is clearly a fledgling enterprise of some dubious description (they're 100 days old), which is understocked and devoid of customer service when things go wrong. Sometimes it's wise to listen to the not-so-silent minority.

User_Removed
    12 Mar 2013 - 1:09 PM

I wouldn't listen to Sam's claims about Google and "web-page content reused across dozens of largely identical scam sites" unless he provides some links. Don't hold your breath.

Remember that sometimes those bad reviews come from worried competitors. I'd buy but I'd make sure I used a credit card even if that meant sending them copies of other ID. Any probs though I'd be straight onto credit card company. I wouldn't buy with PayPal, that's where you'd come unstuck. This strikes me as legit comment from an unsatisfied customer:

12-03-2013-13-05-30.jpg

It could be that they are cheaper than other grey exporters because - unlike some- this lot won't refund your VAT and Customs duties if you get hit by those charges?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Mar 2013 - 1:13 PM
    GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2013 - 1:34 PM

I know 'samueldilworth' personally Chris, and know what he says to be true of many two-bit enterprises. Web content is often poor, second-hand copy & paste, and just one indication of an undiscerning vendor, or one that's in a hurry to make a fast buck. Actually Amazon don't use original web content (usually it's copied and pasted from the manufacturer), but they've established a reputation for decent customer service - which in the eyes of many is paramount.

Whatever, this isn't a point to be won or lost. Buy from outfits like this if you fancy taking a punt (I don't use credit cards - I trust myself with them as much as I'd trust eGlobaL).

samueldilworth
    12 Mar 2013 - 2:34 PM

Hi Glenn.

Chris_L, the many negative reviews are almost certainly real. They describe variations on the classic bait-and-switch technique employed by the infamous camera shops in Brooklyn, New York. Baiting and switching has been a criminal offence in the UK since mid-2008, but itís still legal in the US and many other countries.

If youíre a hard-nosed customer who knows the ropes and has been around the block a few times you might feel you can beat them at their own game. Good luck! But if someone asks a question about companies like this on ePHOTOzine Iím going to assume theyíre not used to dealing with aggressive career scammers over long-distance telephone calls, and Iíll advise them to stick to businesses with a good reputation.

GlennH
    12 Mar 2013 - 2:49 PM

For what it's worth the 'sister company' (don't know how many siblings there are) is CameraSky.

User_Removed
    12 Mar 2013 - 7:11 PM

Hi Sam, which of the complaints are about bait and switch?

Quote: Google tells me this is a new website with almost all of its traffic in the last few weeks

Got a link?

Quote: content reused across dozens of largely identical scam sites

Got any links?

User_Removed
    13 Mar 2013 - 3:16 PM

I'll take that as a No Sam Grin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.