Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Another nail in the Kodak coffin...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AntonS
    AntonS  3 United Kingdom
    29 Sep 2012 - 10:03 AM

Kodak quits inkjet

I'm sure some people will say good riddance as they certainly had their issues.....but you can't deny that they shook up the inkjet market.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Sep 2012 - 10:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    29 Sep 2012 - 1:03 PM

I really don't understand the thought processes of Kodak's leaders!

We used DCS760 cameras which, in their day, were the best on the market by quite a margin and served us well for 6 years. Kodak followed this success by effectively withdrawing from the professional market.

Kodak sensors have been used in many of the best cameras and digibacks, including the Hasselblads and the Leica S2. The management then sold off this division to concentrate on inkjet printers. Hasselblad is getting friendly with Sony who make sensors for Nikon among others, so do they they feel confident about the new owner of the Kodak sensor division?

It took real skill to get Kodak into its present state and this saddens me. I've used Kodak products since I started photography back in '56 and the people at Kodak were very supportive when I started as a professional.

parallax
    parallax e2 Member 5111 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
    29 Sep 2012 - 6:35 PM

The short term bean counters prevail again. I hope I'm wrong, but the Hasselblad/Sony partnership spells doom for the Kodak Sensor division.

Graysta
    Graysta  91133 forum posts England
    29 Sep 2012 - 7:14 PM

Quote: The short term bean counters prevail again

Capture the moment, thats about true with their short sighted policy.

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51178 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Sep 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hope this doesn't spell the end for their A4 Ultra Premium paper as the company is slowly fading away. It's lovely quality and great as an off the shop shelf product rather than having to order most others online. Sad

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Sep 2012 - 11:21 PM

Boomerang printers is what they have been known as, as many were sent back.Grin

Kodak took a wrong turn in its early years of digital when panic set in assuming it would destroy their film market. They of course got left behind so far it was nigh on impossible to catch up. I do believe the sensor patents they have is being sold off.

thewilliam
    30 Sep 2012 - 10:15 AM

I always had a soft spot for Kodak. How come Fuji get it right when Kodak couldn't?

AntonS
    AntonS  3 United Kingdom
    8 Oct 2012 - 11:01 AM

Quote: Boomerang printers is what they have been known as, as many were sent back.Grin

Kodak took a wrong turn in its early years of digital when panic set in assuming it would destroy their film market. They of course got left behind so far it was nigh on impossible to catch up. I do believe the sensor patents they have is being sold off.

Yes, many were sent back but Kodak got to number 2 in the UK (after HP) in both value & volume in just over five years...

I know this as I'm part of a field team who brought it to market......I find out later today when I'm being made redundant Sad

strawman
    strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2012 - 12:46 PM

This article makes for interesting reading. In short you so often see companies at the top of the pile worried about making a new innovation for fear of destroying their existing market, and they forget that their competition can make the same move they are suppressing.

Kodak had the chance to lead the market but chose not to. Just as Leica once lead in cameras, and Sony in portable music players and Nokia in phones.....

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.