Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Another nail in the Kodak coffin...

AntonS e2
3 10 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 10:03AM
Kodak quits inkjet

I'm sure some people will say good riddance as they certainly had their issues.....but you can't deny that they shook up the inkjet market.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.9k
29 Sep 2012 1:03PM
I really don't understand the thought processes of Kodak's leaders!

We used DCS760 cameras which, in their day, were the best on the market by quite a margin and served us well for 6 years. Kodak followed this success by effectively withdrawing from the professional market.

Kodak sensors have been used in many of the best cameras and digibacks, including the Hasselblads and the Leica S2. The management then sold off this division to concentrate on inkjet printers. Hasselblad is getting friendly with Sony who make sensors for Nikon among others, so do they they feel confident about the new owner of the Kodak sensor division?

It took real skill to get Kodak into its present state and this saddens me. I've used Kodak products since I started photography back in '56 and the people at Kodak were very supportive when I started as a professional.
parallax e2
5 121 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 6:35PM
The short term bean counters prevail again. I hope I'm wrong, but the Hasselblad/Sony partnership spells doom for the Kodak Sensor division.
Graysta 9 1.1k England
29 Sep 2012 7:14PM

Quote:The short term bean counters prevail again

Capture the moment, thats about true with their short sighted policy.
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 10:59PM
Hope this doesn't spell the end for their A4 Ultra Premium paper as the company is slowly fading away. It's lovely quality and great as an off the shop shelf product rather than having to order most others online. Sad
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 11:21PM
Boomerang printers is what they have been known as, as many were sent back.Grin

Kodak took a wrong turn in its early years of digital when panic set in assuming it would destroy their film market. They of course got left behind so far it was nigh on impossible to catch up. I do believe the sensor patents they have is being sold off.
thewilliam 6 4.9k
30 Sep 2012 10:15AM
I always had a soft spot for Kodak. How come Fuji get it right when Kodak couldn't?
AntonS e2
3 10 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 11:01AM

Quote:Boomerang printers is what they have been known as, as many were sent back.Grin

Kodak took a wrong turn in its early years of digital when panic set in assuming it would destroy their film market. They of course got left behind so far it was nigh on impossible to catch up. I do believe the sensor patents they have is being sold off.

Yes, many were sent back but Kodak got to number 2 in the UK (after HP) in both value & volume in just over five years...

I know this as I'm part of a field team who brought it to market......I find out later today when I'm being made redundant Sad
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 12:46PM
This article makes for interesting reading. In short you so often see companies at the top of the pile worried about making a new innovation for fear of destroying their existing market, and they forget that their competition can make the same move they are suppressing.

Kodak had the chance to lead the market but chose not to. Just as Leica once lead in cameras, and Sony in portable music players and Nokia in phones.....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.