Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Another prestigious photography contest

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    monstersnowman
    7 Mar 2007 - 12:58 PM

Deutsche Borse ... and what a pile of unmitigated dross ... one of the shortlisted 4, submitted a selection of images she did not even take .. they were taken from family albums :0) I had to laugh. Maybe you love it though .. but one thing is for sure, they have probably achieved a tiny part of their objective by the simple fact that I am typing this now.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Mar 2007 - 12:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

randomrubble
    7 Mar 2007 - 1:06 PM

Seen the exhibtion then?

monstersnowman

Well I dont think I would be posting this had I not looked at the images on the shortlist ... it is on the web to be googled and in Amateur Photographer also ..

randomrubble
    7 Mar 2007 - 1:47 PM

Neither of these will give the effect of seeing the work in a gallery setting.

I expected to dislike Amy Tan's work before visiting but the choice of the images and the arrangement on the wall works surprisingly well, if you approach with an open mind. In some ways it made me think and was less predictable than anything I've seen in quite a while.

Anders Petersen's work is knockout, The quality of seeing and printing is stunning. The Phillipe Chancel work is good, and well made.

The only one that doesn't work for me is the Atlas Project stuff, it's just self indulgent rubbish but as it's from and about the middle east I suspect it will win as The Photographers Gallery is somewhat obsessed with photographers/videographers, regardless of quality, from that region at the moment.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    monstersnowman

I found the Petersen and Chancel images quite effective and interesting actually ... My initial opening comment is done in hope of attracting responses from whatever viewpoint .. I do however dislike the Ralid images and especially the Tan images ... I didn't see these images in the flesh or 'paper' as is .. but I don't think this negates my viewpoint ... we view every image on this site as a web based image and it seems to work fine. Thanks for your comment R :0)

stevekhart
    7 Mar 2007 - 3:29 PM

Quote: we view every image on this site as a web based image and it seems to work fine

err no! The images that work here are those that work as thumbnails. A lot of fine art will not work as a thumbnail or on this site.

monstersnowman

Why thumbnails ... not sure I follow your logic .. but of course viewing as a web based image is not ideal but by the fact that this site (EPZ) exists demonstrates that it works to an acceptable degree and the fact that I am comparing the Borse images with many others on an equal footing (ie web) is fair in as much as the other images I prefer may claim to be, and probably will be, better viewed at first hand also. I watch football on TV and have watched live football, and I know that it is better at the ground (in some ways) but I do get a good representation of the game on TV on which to assess a game (sorry for the crap example) :0)

Oh and I don't need to view an image to know that I treat any entrant who supplies family snaps by other people as not worth consideration of a prestigious photography award.

stevekhart
    7 Mar 2007 - 3:55 PM

The first thing people see on this site is a thumbnail and there has to be something to attract them within the thumbnail to want them to click to see something larger. Even then the tonal gradation, colour rendition and quality of detail cannot be represented sufficiently on a web page to give a good enough representation of a gallery print.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.