Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Another Rip-off?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
1 Sep 2012 - 9:22 PM

Does anyone know why Symantec want me to pay £64 for another year's subscription to Norton 360 Internet Security, when I can go to Costco and buy a brand new three PC version of exactly the same software for £19?

(No discussion here about the relative merits of different internet security/anti-virus/anti-malware programs. I know there are many detractors of Norton and that it is resource-hungry but, time after time, comparative reviews do show it to be the best available.)

Seems to me to be a rip-off.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 1 Sep 2012 - 9:22 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Sep 2012 - 9:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2012 - 9:49 PM

Because they're a brand name with what some unwise folk think have a good reputation as being the best. When in reality they're far from it......

Please don't be offended, but you may as well pull your notes out of wallet and set fire to them than buy Norton......Seek alternatives!

Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 1 Sep 2012 - 9:50 PM
puertouk
puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2012 - 9:55 PM

I've got Norton 360 and it's brilliant. It's the same no matter what, the price is always more expensive going to the owners of a product. Look on a hotel site and you can get it cheaper elsewhere. So, it's not just Norton, but every business

User_Removed
1 Sep 2012 - 10:01 PM

Quote: Because they're a brand name with what some unwise folk think have a good reputation as being the best. When in reality they're far from it......

Please don't be offended, but you may as well pull your notes out of wallet and set fire to them than buy Norton......Seek alternatives!

Ade

Ade,

Learn to read before you attempt to write.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2012 - 10:05 PM

Velcro is also a rip-off.

scottishphototours

... and toilet paper's a rip-off too. Sorry, just leaving... Tongue

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 12:07 AM

I did read it and I got your gist mate, I just can't see why anybody would want to use Norton. To my mind the only reason it gets the reviews it does and this is just a personal thought is because the magazines it consistently advertises in and whom it relies on for it reviews need the advertising revenue!

A controversial thought maybe, but you know, I know and just about anybody else whose even remotely internet savvy knows......It's a freak'in great big bloated rip off!!!

Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 2 Sep 2012 - 12:33 AM
kodachrome
2 Sep 2012 - 8:32 AM

I object to paying Irish VAT, so I dropped Norton.

A lot of people I know are using AVAST and System Mechanic. which are virtually free on the Net.

You could also sign up to Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free to MS users.

Dell installed their system on my computer when I bought it and its free of charge with occasional up dates free of charge.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3281 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 8:43 AM

Quote: Does anyone know why Symantec want me to pay £64 for another year's subscription to Norton 360 Internet Security, when I can go to Costco and buy a brand new three PC version of exactly the same software for £19?

Seems to me to be a rip-off.

Perhaps it's a marketing ploy, a bit like stating a Recommended Price..it makes the actual street price look much more attractive.

Having said that, I bought Kasperskey at PC World just over a year ago at £20. When it came to renewal, Kasperskey did that online for the same cost..

redsnappa
redsnappa  111897 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 - 9:06 AM

Quote: Does anyone know why Symantec want me to pay £64 for another year's subscription

They want increase their profits, simple.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
2 Sep 2012 - 10:15 AM

To answer the original question: because many companies a) assume that people are daft enough not to shop around and will just pay up, and b) offer new customers incentives to "sign up", but screw existing members.

Two other examples:

RAC wanted nearly £300 for my membership - for 3 years I phoned them up and said "I'm going to cancel and then join again" and got it down to about £70. I eventually left because I got a new car with free AA membership. I renewed my AA membership for a "starter" offer of £55. Next year it will go up, I will rejoin the RAC.

Years ago, I was with Vodaphone and they offered me an upgrade - the phone I wanted would cost me an additional £300 (a Nokia 6600). I spoke to them to try and get it cheaper, but no luck. So, I moved to O2, got exactly the same deal, but they threw in the 6600 for free. When I cancelled my Vodaphone contract, they asked me why and I explained. The response was "If we had known you were planning to leave, we would have given you the phone for free".

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 2:25 PM

Any renewal offer is more often than not hiked up in price.
Whenever renewal time arrives for me the rather tiresome task of switching then checking the details with insurance being a real pain.
A quote given by a well known insurance for the home was done online which I refused. A pop up asked why with a price options. that I ticked as being high. The revised quote came back even higher. Same procedure with an even higher quote. Curious s to how high it could go it reached £6000 when the norm should have been around £200 - £300. Obviously their online system had a glitch.

ChrisStyles
2 Sep 2012 - 3:21 PM

I've had AVAST on the PC for years and never had a problem...free to downloadSmile

Whole of this country is a rip offSad

MrGoatsmilk
2 Sep 2012 - 4:20 PM

Same as everything if your an existing customer they already have you so don't need to offer a good price as most will just pay it or forget and the DD will go out the bank after which it's too late.

Shop around and save ££££££'s

Stu

MSE User

gavrelle
gavrelle  230 forum posts England
2 Sep 2012 - 5:35 PM

I always buy a new copy each time rather than renew, considrably cheaper. Its only a rip off if you pay for the renewal!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.