Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Another Rip-off?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 5:45 PM

I found Kasperky do the same. 39 on line for 3 computer licence to EMAIL me the new Key Code, 19 to get the same in a box with a free smartphone licence thrown in.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Sep 2012 - 5:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 6:19 PM

We have malware and add ware.....I propose a new name for the likes of Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky et al CONWARE.....

Ade Tongue

mikehit
mikehit  46169 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 9:10 AM

Quote: To answer the original question: because many companies a) assume that people are daft enough not to shop around and will just pay up, and b) offer new customers incentives to "sign up", but screw existing members.

Two other examples:

RAC wanted nearly 300 for my membership - for 3 years I phoned them up and said "I'm going to cancel and then join again" and got it down to about 70. I eventually left because I got a new car with free AA membership. I renewed my AA membership for a "starter" offer of 55. Next year it will go up, I will rejoin the RAC.

Years ago, I was with Vodaphone and they offered me an upgrade - the phone I wanted would cost me an additional 300 (a Nokia 6600). I spoke to them to try and get it cheaper, but no luck. So, I moved to O2, got exactly the same deal, but they threw in the 6600 for free. When I cancelled my Vodaphone contract, they asked me why and I explained. The response was "If we had known you were planning to leave, we would have given you the phone for free".

And who pays for htose 'free' phones?
Yep, the mugs who pay full price so driving costs up sleading to people leaving and the need for 'free' offers so keep them in the net. Such is the craziness of marketing.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53534 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 1:00 PM

For FREE AV look at avast as Chris says above or
Microsoft Security essentials - windows.microsoft.com/mse
Or AVG from Grisoft - http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download
Both these two i've trusted for a few years now.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
3 Sep 2012 - 2:22 PM

Norton eventually messed up my incoming mail so much I had to re-install Windows..

Kaspersky worked better, but spent much time reminding me my virus signatures were out of date (with only a one day space between computer usage.)

Then when the licence renewal notice came in I questioned the whole issue.

To agree with Jack, I've now had Microsoft Security Essentials on 2 laptops and 2 PC's for a couple of years. Free, works completely unobtrusively in the background - what a refreshing difference....

Last Modified By KevinEllison at 3 Sep 2012 - 2:23 PM
pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
7 Sep 2012 - 9:38 AM

like the car recovery (insurance company) green flag and my ex travel insurance co.
every year we cancelled the old one had a new one! from a new company no change

BUT BIG savings

it's called in the marketing game "user inertia" or it's easy for the customer to do little sad eh?

they would rather fight for a new customer than keep a loyal one! sadly SICK EH?

& goes against natural/real salesmanship!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.