Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Any alternative to the Beauty Dish sold by Damian?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MrGoatsmilk
    2 May 2012 - 1:17 PM

I have seen and used the beauty dish that Damian McGillcuddy uses, yes it works very well but 186 + 9.99 for delivery is a bit steep to say the least.

Can anyone recommend a similar product for use with a speedlight? I have a bowens softbox but I would quite like something of a similar size and shape, a portable octobox perhaps?

Mainly to be uses as a light on a stick or stand for lighting one or two people.

Thanks

Stu

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 May 2012 - 1:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
    2 May 2012 - 1:25 PM

This is the dish btw

link

Miles Herbert
    2 May 2012 - 1:43 PM

Have a look at the Aurora Firefly ...

Aurora Firefly at Mr Cad

A shade bigger at 50cm but a lot cheaper at 109

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023181 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 1:54 PM

A whole kit for 102.99 but you can get them seperate

Ideal for a speedlight

ikett
    ikett  4352 forum posts England
    2 May 2012 - 2:05 PM

A pal of mine who's into flash swears by this firm, the kit I've seen looks well made.

Not used it personally another option to look at.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 4:15 PM

Or there`s the Strobies XS bracket, 96 with a full sized beauty dish.

The brackets very handy if you plan an expanding on your light modifiers that use the standard "S" fitting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interfit-INT326-Strobies-XS-Bracket/dp/B002X6XE0C/ref=pd...

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 4:19 PM

Good suggestion, Paul, as I think Stuart already has the bracket too.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 4:21 PM

Its a no brainer in that case then Smile

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41108 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 5:27 PM

hi all can you tell me what a beauty dish does as opposed to a shoot through umbrella?

Good find Paul looked at that.

Ian

Paul Morgan
    2 May 2012 - 5:41 PM

Its not one of the lightest brackets going but I use them myself and can`t fault them Smile

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 5:46 PM

it makes your model looks beautiful, Ian.....LOL.....

MrGoatsmilk
    2 May 2012 - 7:40 PM

Quote: Hi all can you tell me what a beauty dish does as opposed to a shoot through umbrella?

Good find Paul looked at that.

Ian

The reasons I'm looking at one is it's more portable, less likely to catch the breeze, has a defined edge to the light from the results I have had and puts more focus on the subject. Plus it's really easy to hand hold. Plus they don't have a top and bottom as such so no matter which orientation the camera is at the dish can stay as is.

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 2 May 2012 - 7:43 PM
    MrGoatsmilk
    2 May 2012 - 7:45 PM

This looks good but not in stock and has not been for a while by the looks Sad

MrGoatsmilk
    2 May 2012 - 8:47 PM

Actually it's a bit bigTongue

Paul Morgan
    3 May 2012 - 2:21 PM

Quote: Good find Paul looked at that

It does a good job, here`s another one, made one of those hand held booms for it using a cheap telescopic hiking pole, ignore the initial pic.

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/---22161974

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.