Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

any body else had these problems

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
CDSINUK
CDSINUK  1219 forum posts England
18 Nov 2012 - 11:56 AM

my Sony Alpha A230 has developed problems in the last two days,

view finder is off target not lined up with center of image when you aim it ?
mirror lock up, getting camera error message,
cleaning mode not working
not focusing properly at 55mm
its worse when i put my Tamron 70-300mm on it
image stabilser has turned off and the menu wont allow me to turn it back on, the menue item has been de activated ?
ive done a search on line and found this , they might as well have been describing my camera Sad

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1129625@N20/discuss/72157628294696567/

has anybody else had this problem ?

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 18 Nov 2012 - 11:58 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Nov 2012 - 11:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  2722 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 - 12:35 PM

Bloke at work had the same problem, but not sure of the outcome.

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2012 - 6:39 PM

Not Sony user, But this problem sounds like an issue with the image stabilising side of the sensor, ie: It has stuck or moved and now has jammed in one location, Hence the off centre thing along with all the other errors.

Moving the sensor around to provide image stabilising, Can and does present issues such as this, One reason Nikon & Canon have stuck to " In Lens Image Stabilising " ....!!!!

Your only option is a Sony repair facility.

Good luck with it.

Last Modified By cameracat at 18 Nov 2012 - 6:40 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
CDSINUK
18 Nov 2012 - 7:26 PM

the cost of the repair outweighs the cost of the camera, looks like im out of luck this time, thanks for the info

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thats the cost of a throw away world.

CDSINUK
19 Nov 2012 - 12:55 PM

i know paul, thinking back ive been having problems with it for a while, the sad bit is it leaves me with nothing Grrrrrrrrrr and i was just starting to enjoy it Sad

Steppenwolf
19 Nov 2012 - 1:37 PM

Quote: Not Sony user, But this problem sounds like an issue with the image stabilising side of the sensor, ie: It has stuck or moved and now has jammed in one location, Hence the off centre thing along with all the other errors.

Moving the sensor around to provide image stabilising, Can and does present issues such as this, One reason Nikon & Canon have stuck to " In Lens Image Stabilising " ....!!!!

If the OP is saying that the view finder is off centre that is nothing to do with the sensor being out of position as the view finder is optical - the LCD liveview would be off centre but not the OVF. It sounds more like a problem with the flappy mirror to me. Either way it's not worth the cost of repair. Get yourself an A37 - no mirror to get stuck and all the latest IS and sensor.

BTW, the problem with putting technology such as IS in a lens is that a) people tend to keep lenses for a very long time so it's more likely to go wrong b) it gets outdated as the technology improves and lenses are expensive to replace c) you need the technology in every lens and d) you need a moving element in the lens which is bound to lead to CA.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
19 Nov 2012 - 1:48 PM

Quote: BTW, the problem with putting technology such as IS in a lens is that

a) people tend to keep lenses for a very long time so it's more likely to go wrong

Why would you keep IS lenses longer?

Quote: b) it gets outdated as the technology improves and lenses are expensive to replace

True but improvements with IS tend to be minor over time so so don't really need to replace your lenses just because a slightly better one has been released

Quote: c) you need the technology in every lens

Not true, for long lenses maybe but I would be happy to not have IS in WA lenses

Quote: d) you need a moving element in the lens which is bound to lead to CA.

Really all those big expensive stabilized telephotos from Canon and Nikon suffer from CA? I think not

Steppenwolf
19 Nov 2012 - 2:02 PM

Quote:
a) people tend to keep lenses for a very long time so it's more likely to go wrong

Why would you keep IS lenses longer?

You keep lenses longer than camera bodies, usually. I've got several lenses that are over 20 years old. They're still working perfectly, but then they've got no fancy IS or piezo-electric motors in them or they'd probably be manual focus only with ineffective IS.

IS has been improving significantly over the years as anyone who's had a few KM/Sony cameras can tell you. It's also been improving with in-lens IS and Canikon sometimes release updated Mk 2 versions I believe, although I guess it's more usual that they just update the lens without rebadging it - like car manufacturers change a vast number of parts on cars for every new model year without necessarily advertising the fact.

I'm afraid that if you have a moving element in a lens that is used to redirect the image it will cause CA.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
19 Nov 2012 - 2:15 PM

Sorry I misunderstood your 1st point, but I still don't agree that CA is a problem, its not something that Lenses like the Canon 500mm f4 IS suffer from although at the budget end you well may be correct.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 2:33 PM

Quote: i know paul, thinking back ive been having problems with it for a while, the sad bit is it leaves me with nothing Grrrrrrrrrr and i was just starting to enjoy it

Have you invested heavily in the system with extra lenses and the like.

I`ve been using inbody IS now for about five years, and as yet I have never had a problem.

But I guess the more they pack into a body or sensor design the risk of faults developing increases.

I`m using two different camera`s one with in lens IS the G2, the other with in boby IS the OMD, the OMD`s inbody IS is clearly so much better.

As for other systems I have no idea what is best.

CDSINUK
19 Nov 2012 - 3:46 PM

thanks for the advice paul, i wont go into things, but i cant get anything else at the moment, it just feels like ive lost a leg or something lol Smile

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 4:05 PM

Have you tried fetching it a fourpenny one? Can you turn the IS off, and does it make any difference?

If something is stuck and/or stopping anything from moving correctly, a sharp bump might help shift it. T90 Canons are/were renown for it. Slapping it flat down onto a protected but hard surface often helped. Plus, if its not working, you have nothing to lose.

Nick

CDSINUK
19 Nov 2012 - 4:48 PM

Hi Nick , no the image stabiler menu option is not highlighted anymore, you can read it in the menu but you cant select it, i have tried taking photos but they are blurred

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 19 Nov 2012 - 4:49 PM
CDSINUK
19 Nov 2012 - 4:51 PM

i have tried blowing the sensor out with sensor cleaner, i have tried a little gentle manipulation by hand in case it was stuck but nothing, i tried banging the camera in my hand to dislodge it, the sensore is more forward at the top than the bottom, but it will not correct itself

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 19 Nov 2012 - 4:53 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.