Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Any compact digital camera bargains found so far?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Steppenwolf
29 Dec 2012 - 8:58 AM

Quote: So I'm looking for a compact camera that can give me manual controls, with a decently wide lens, prob about a 15 optical zoom, and a view finder.

That would be a nice spec, but I don't think it exists. The Nikon V1 (plus 10-30mm) is available for 269 which is a good deal. Good EVF, manual controls, very fast shooting, slow mo video, etc etc. You'd need to also buy the 30-110 lens to get near your zoom ratio though.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Dec 2012 - 8:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41181 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2012 - 10:59 AM

My vote would go to the Panasonic LX7. If you want a viewfinder you'll need to buy the add-on one, and the focal range is just short of 100mm at the longer end, but you get a nice wide 24mm at the wide end, and its aperture is f/2 and wider for most of the zoom range. The lens is v sharp (made by Leica), and you can get an adapter to use filters. Close up its excellent too, it shoots RAW and for me would make a good travel camera.

Nick

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 - 11:06 AM

Agree that Panasonic LX is hard to beat. I have an LX5 as my pocket camera and am very impressed with IQ, it's also very robust. Admit there's no VF but I have not found that as big a drawback as I expected.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2012 - 2:44 PM

Quote: So I'm looking for a compact camera that can give me manual controls, with a decently wide lens, prob about a 15 optical zoom, and a view finder

It does exist (26x zoom) and it also includes a viewfinder, its even weather sealed, its now even cheaper.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-x-s1-exr-black-digital-camera/p1528408

Quote: My vote would go to the Panasonic LX7

Yep or the slightly better XZ-2

Steppenwolf
29 Dec 2012 - 4:44 PM

Quote:
It does exist (26x zoom) and it also includes a viewfinder, its even weather sealed, its now even cheaper.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-x-s1-exr-black-digital-camera/p1528408

It's streching things to call that brick a compact.

neil163
neil163  3 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 - 8:05 PM

sony WX 150 18mp x10glass jessops 129.99 30 cash back if still on = 99.99 weight 150gms

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2012 - 9:39 PM

Quote: It's streching things to call that brick a compact

This all depends on what each of are definitions of compact are, its certainly a compact compared to a dslr fitted with a 600mm lens Smile

cymroDan
cymroDan  7174 forum posts
30 Dec 2012 - 5:07 PM

Thanks all.

The kind of compact I'm looking for is that can possibly fit into a decent sized pocket (like hoodie, coat pocket), or can fit in a rucksack without taking up the majority of the space.

200 is ideal budget, but then for my needs - I am willing to stretch that a little if needed.

I do worry I'm making too much of a fuss through wanting a view finder. I just really dont like using the screen in crap light, and also keeping the LCD screen on will eat more of the battery right?

lawbert
lawbert  71691 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 5:26 PM

After a few days in with the Nikon p7100 I cant really fault it.
It fits in my pocket...It bulges a bit though!!
Battery life so far is spot on...I would say its had a good 8 hours at least of use on the screen plus flash use and its still showing a full charge on battery....I dont yet know how faithful the battery meter isWink
It shoots in raw etc.
You could spend a month deciding Dan and miss WEX's excellent deal with a caseTongueWink

cymroDan
cymroDan  7174 forum posts
30 Dec 2012 - 5:28 PM

haha the thing is law, im not just umming and ahhing, I've got 3-4 months before I need this new camera! So a case isn't quite a game breaker yet (though I did check it out...!), and I read new models sometimes release feb-april time, so maybe some of the good but no longer "newest" models might drop a little in price?

lawbert
lawbert  71691 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 5:40 PM

You may well find better in time Dan but to get Nikons Highest End Compact (albeit replaced a month ago) within Budget was to good to miss for me.
Ive got a 7d and 3 lumps of L glass and Im superbly impressed with the P7100Wink

Last Modified By lawbert at 30 Dec 2012 - 5:41 PM
Steppenwolf
31 Dec 2012 - 8:45 AM

Quote: I just really dont like using the screen in crap light, and also keeping the LCD screen on will eat more of the battery right?

I agree - I reckon a viewfinder is essential. The trouble is that when you add that requirement all the truly pocketable compacts are ruled out. The V1 with the 10-30 is reasonably pocketable - it goes in a coat pocket. It's certainly a bargain at its current runout price. EVFs and LCDs do chew up batteries but that's easily solved by getting a spare battery.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41181 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 10:06 AM

I have an LX5 (highly recommended looking at your budget!) and I also have an EVF for it, though I've found it hard to see the screen and needed the viewfinder only once or twice.
I would get a couple of batteries and not worry. Whichever camera you get you'll be using the screen to review the image anyway, and I can easily get a day out, shooting hundreds of shots on one good battery. A couple more would be good back up, and there's not many places you can go where there is no chance to recharge.

Steppenwolf
31 Dec 2012 - 10:09 AM

Quote: Whichever camera you get you'll be using the screen to review the image anyway

I often use the EVF to review images because it's higher definition and easier to see in bright light.

Paul Morgan
31 Dec 2012 - 5:46 PM

Quote: I agree - I reckon a viewfinder is essential. The trouble is that when you add that requirement all the truly pocketable compacts are ruled out

The viewfinders don`t add much bulk, even if it leaves the camera to big to fit into a pocket its easier enough to remove.

Batteries, I would not worry about the number of shots per charge, spares can be picked up very cheaply.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.