Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Any compact digital camera bargains found so far?

Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
29 Dec 2012 8:58AM

Quote:So I'm looking for a compact camera that can give me manual controls, with a decently wide lens, prob about a 15 optical zoom, and a view finder.

That would be a nice spec, but I don't think it exists. The Nikon V1 (plus 10-30mm) is available for 269 which is a good deal. Good EVF, manual controls, very fast shooting, slow mo video, etc etc. You'd need to also buy the 30-110 lens to get near your zoom ratio though.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 10:59AM
My vote would go to the Panasonic LX7. If you want a viewfinder you'll need to buy the add-on one, and the focal range is just short of 100mm at the longer end, but you get a nice wide 24mm at the wide end, and its aperture is f/2 and wider for most of the zoom range. The lens is v sharp (made by Leica), and you can get an adapter to use filters. Close up its excellent too, it shoots RAW and for me would make a good travel camera.

Nick
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 11:06AM
Agree that Panasonic LX is hard to beat. I have an LX5 as my pocket camera and am very impressed with IQ, it's also very robust. Admit there's no VF but I have not found that as big a drawback as I expected.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
29 Dec 2012 2:44PM

Quote:So I'm looking for a compact camera that can give me manual controls, with a decently wide lens, prob about a 15 optical zoom, and a view finder

It does exist (26x zoom) and it also includes a viewfinder, its even weather sealed, its now even cheaper.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-x-s1-exr-black-digital-camera/p1528408

Quote:My vote would go to the Panasonic LX7

Yep or the slightly better XZ-2
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
29 Dec 2012 4:44PM

Quote:
It does exist (26x zoom) and it also includes a viewfinder, its even weather sealed, its now even cheaper.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-x-s1-exr-black-digital-camera/p1528408

It's streching things to call that brick a compact.
neil163 3 13 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 8:05PM
sony WX 150 18mp x10glass jessops 129.99 30 cash back if still on = 99.99 weight 150gms
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
29 Dec 2012 9:39PM

Quote:It's streching things to call that brick a compact

This all depends on what each of are definitions of compact are, its certainly a compact compared to a dslr fitted with a 600mm lens Smile
cymroDan 7 174
30 Dec 2012 5:07PM
Thanks all.

The kind of compact I'm looking for is that can possibly fit into a decent sized pocket (like hoodie, coat pocket), or can fit in a rucksack without taking up the majority of the space.

200 is ideal budget, but then for my needs - I am willing to stretch that a little if needed.

I do worry I'm making too much of a fuss through wanting a view finder. I just really dont like using the screen in crap light, and also keeping the LCD screen on will eat more of the battery right?
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
30 Dec 2012 5:26PM
After a few days in with the Nikon p7100 I cant really fault it.
It fits in my pocket...It bulges a bit though!!
Battery life so far is spot on...I would say its had a good 8 hours at least of use on the screen plus flash use and its still showing a full charge on battery....I dont yet know how faithful the battery meter isWink
It shoots in raw etc.
You could spend a month deciding Dan and miss WEX's excellent deal with a caseTongueWink
cymroDan 7 174
30 Dec 2012 5:28PM
haha the thing is law, im not just umming and ahhing, I've got 3-4 months before I need this new camera! So a case isn't quite a game breaker yet (though I did check it out...!), and I read new models sometimes release feb-april time, so maybe some of the good but no longer "newest" models might drop a little in price?
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
30 Dec 2012 5:40PM
You may well find better in time Dan but to get Nikons Highest End Compact (albeit replaced a month ago) within Budget was to good to miss for me.
Ive got a 7d and 3 lumps of L glass and Im superbly impressed with the P7100Wink
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
31 Dec 2012 8:45AM

Quote:I just really dont like using the screen in crap light, and also keeping the LCD screen on will eat more of the battery right?

I agree - I reckon a viewfinder is essential. The trouble is that when you add that requirement all the truly pocketable compacts are ruled out. The V1 with the 10-30 is reasonably pocketable - it goes in a coat pocket. It's certainly a bargain at its current runout price. EVFs and LCDs do chew up batteries but that's easily solved by getting a spare battery.
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 10:06AM
I have an LX5 (highly recommended looking at your budget!) and I also have an EVF for it, though I've found it hard to see the screen and needed the viewfinder only once or twice.
I would get a couple of batteries and not worry. Whichever camera you get you'll be using the screen to review the image anyway, and I can easily get a day out, shooting hundreds of shots on one good battery. A couple more would be good back up, and there's not many places you can go where there is no chance to recharge.
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
31 Dec 2012 10:09AM

Quote:Whichever camera you get you'll be using the screen to review the image anyway

I often use the EVF to review images because it's higher definition and easier to see in bright light.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
31 Dec 2012 5:46PM

Quote:I agree - I reckon a viewfinder is essential. The trouble is that when you add that requirement all the truly pocketable compacts are ruled out

The viewfinders don`t add much bulk, even if it leaves the camera to big to fit into a pocket its easier enough to remove.

Batteries, I would not worry about the number of shots per charge, spares can be picked up very cheaply.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.