Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Any compact digital camera bargains found so far?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

EOS_Snapper
31 Dec 2012 - 8:39 PM

Like digicammad, I have also become a proud owner of a Canon G12 (280 at Currys).
I bought this as a portable camera for those days when an opportunity may well of been missed
For the trip your planning I think the Canon G12 (G15 is the the Latest model) would be very much in your favour
Enjoy your trip and be sure to post your pictures here when you return.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Dec 2012 - 8:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cymroDan
cymroDan  7174 forum posts
2 Jan 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks all for the additional feedback.

I think if I had a choice, I'd prefer a viewfinder - but based on the feedback of you guys and gals, I will still consider those without view finders. My current considerations are the Nikon P71000, Canon G12, Fujifilm X10, and the Panasonic LX5.

I've seen some talk of electronic view finders. I remember trying one on some work colleagues camera before (it was a crappy camera anyway) but the EVF on it was awful, really I was shocked. It was so unclear and low resolution, I felt it was pointless. Am I right to assume this isn't the state of all EVF these days? I was initially only considering Optical view finders - but if good quality camera's have good EVF's then I will change my opinion on it Smile

Dan

mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 1:12 PM

I like the quality of the (detachable) EVF of the Panasonic GX1 - but some think it still stinks. But I suspect some expect it to fully replace OVF and hate it for no other reason than OVF is better - my take is that the EVF is good enough to do its job which is enable me to compose the image effectively. What I also like about it (compared to OVF) is that you can see in the viewfinder the effect of increasing exposure.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 5:02 PM

Quote: I like the quality of the (detachable) EVF of the Panasonic GX1 - but some think it still stinks

Olympus have the evf 2 and 3 but many prefer the latest version, its lower res than the evf 2 but has a faster screen refresh Smile

The other advantages of a Pany or Olympus compact, LX7/XZ-2 is there part of a much bigger system, the EVF`s and flash units also work with M4/3.

Steppenwolf
3 Jan 2013 - 10:21 AM

Quote: I've seen some talk of electronic view finders. I remember trying one on some work colleagues camera before (it was a crappy camera anyway) but the EVF on it was awful, really I was shocked. It was so unclear and low resolution, I felt it was pointless. Am I right to assume this isn't the state of all EVF these days? I was initially only considering Optical view finders - but if good quality camera's have good EVF's then I will change my opinion on it Smile

Dan

It depends on how many pixels/dots the EVF has. A lot of the cheap EVFs have about 400 dots which is pretty useless except for framing the picture. You need 1Mp or more. Most of the better EVFs (like that of the Nikon V1) have 1.4Mp which is excellent - Sony's OLED is over 2Mp and you forget it's an EVF.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2013 - 7:13 PM

Quote: A lot of the cheap EVFs have about 400 dots which is pretty useless except for framing the picture

400 dots ?

Maybe ten years ago Smile

The VF3 has 922,000 dots and the VF2 about 1.5m, I believe with the OMD you can switch between the two, the lower size giving a faster screen refresh.

What`s often forgotten is the EVF size difference between the Sony and Olympus, the Sony is a fair bit larger and has a different aspect ratio, it might have more dots but this does not make it better.

Steppenwolf
4 Jan 2013 - 8:46 AM

Quote: A lot of the cheap EVFs have about 400 dots which is pretty useless except for framing the picture

400 dots ?

Maybe ten years ago Smile

He was referring to the EVF of a "colleagues camera (it was a crappy camera anyway)" - I don't think it was one of the latest M4/3 cameras, or a Sony SLT Wink A lot of the older bridge cameras had very low res EVFs. It's only fairly recently that EVFs have had over 1Mp (with the exception of the old KM A1).

I don't know if the Sony EVf is better than the OMD's - it's got 2.4Mp as opposed to 1.4Mp so it ought to be.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 4 Jan 2013 - 8:47 AM
Paul Morgan
4 Jan 2013 - 4:28 PM

Quote: He was referring to the EVF of a "colleagues camera (it was a crappy camera anyway)"

How strange, is someone else using your account ? they looked like your words to me.

Quote: I don't think it was one of the latest M4/3 cameras, or a Sony SLT

? ? Smile

Lol I think your just scare mungering, that pen evf has been around for a fair while.

EOS_Snapper
4 Jan 2013 - 8:33 PM

Just looked in the review section here on ephotozine:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-powershot-g12-digital-camera-review-1519...
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-coolpix-p7100-review-17529

Last Modified By EOS_Snapper at 4 Jan 2013 - 8:34 PM
cymroDan
27 Jan 2013 - 4:17 PM

Still keeping an eye out by the way guys and girls. My travels are planned for Apirl/May, so still some time to decide.

Lawbert - WEX are still doing the p7100 for 229 with the case.. which still tempts me haha. How are you finding it these days after a month of use?

The prices a month on for everything seem about the same,
Nikon p7100 - 229
Canon G12 - 300
Fujifilm X10 - 299
Panasonic LX7 - 345

My original budget was 200, which I still think is what I'm comfortable keeping it at.

Paul Morgan
27 Jan 2013 - 6:35 PM

If size is not a critical factor have a look at the older CSC, there often cheaper than premium priced compacts and not a lot bigger.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OlympusPen-E-PM1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B0058GI8F0/ref...

cymroDan
27 Jan 2013 - 7:23 PM

Thanks Paul for your reply. Size in this case is however important to me. I've already got a D7000 and a couple of lenses, so I'm just looking for a small camera, with the same type of control and functionality as a DSLR - which also has everything inside the camera. No additional lenses to mess around with, no bag to carry it all, just the camera, which I could put quite happily in a general rucksack or in a coat / hoodie pocket.

Paul Morgan
27 Jan 2013 - 7:26 PM

That EPM1 is actually very small, smaller than even some compacts, and small enough for a rucksack or coat pocket.

pablophotographer

what about the fujifilm 2980? AA batteries, viewfinder, zoom x18 optical, 14 megapixels. You can even afford to lose one and buy a new one with your budget.

cymroDan
28 Jan 2013 - 11:15 AM

And do both of these poses full control of aperture, shutterspeed, and ISO etc? That's the main thing for me (ofc as well as a camera that produces decent images, extra bonus if able in low light).

Thanks both btw Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.