Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Any compact digital camera bargains found so far?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2013 - 4:50 PM

For low light I would avoid the super zoom compacts, look at X3 X4 zooms, these generally have wider apertures and better control in low light.

Sensor size can make a difference as well, one of the reasons I go on about CSC`s, second hand is always a good option if on a tight budget.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/?Order=Latest&View=Grid&SHMa...

Thought these were good buys, would be ideal fitted with the body cap lens Smile

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olympus-EP-1-+14-42+-FL-14-flash.-SAVE-70.00-WAS-...
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Panasonic-Lumix-GF1-w/-14-45mm-+-EVF-_65575.html

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 28 Jan 2013 - 5:00 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jan 2013 - 4:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2013 - 5:17 PM

For less than 200, mainly for creative fun Smile

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olympus-E-PMI-Body-in-purple--mint-and-boxed_6447...
http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/10/15/olympus-15-8-body-cap-lens

mark1b
mark1b  230 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Jan 2013 - 6:33 PM

E-PM1 is very good camera for price. I love mine its very compact also take great shots.

JohnParminter
28 Jan 2013 - 6:39 PM

Quote: Lawbert - WEX are still doing the p7100 for 229 with the case.. which still tempts me haha. How are you finding it these days after a month of use?

The prices a month on for everything seem about the same,
Nikon p7100 - 229

I bought a P7100 for 230 but not from WEX, I can vouch for it Dan. It won't be around for ever so you may want to think about getting one before they all sell out.

JP

cymroDan
cymroDan  7174 forum posts
28 Jan 2013 - 11:24 PM

Thanks Paul for the effort gone in with links etc. The main thing that's putting me off about the E-PMI is the interchangable lenses (though the 15/8 is a great fun idea!), I worry the shape of it (despite the small body) will become cumbersome to carry around, as I said - I kind of want everything on the camera in one - no fussing about. Although I could just buy one lens for it, I think the shape of it will make it less practical for me.

John thanks for the encouragement and your input. It is probably the most likely choice for me atm, though if a x10 or g12 came down to the 250 mark it might make things more difficult.

Is the p7100 going to lack something that the others possess I wonder?

Paul Morgan
28 Jan 2013 - 11:50 PM

Quote: Is the p7100 going to lack something that the others possess I wonder?

Probably not Dan, to be honest, a lot comes down to personal preferences and cost, I find this a good resource for comparing, but it might just get you more confused Smile

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/740|0/%28brand%29/Fujifilm/%28appareil2%29/733|0/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28appareil3%29/726|0/%28brand3%29/Olympus

JohnParminter
29 Jan 2013 - 7:56 AM

Quote: Is the p7100 going to lack something that the others possess I wonder?

Maybe, maybe not. I can't advise you what you want or what the others have but procrastination may rule one or the other out all together and force you to make a decision...... Wink

cymroDan
29 Jan 2013 - 8:23 AM

Thanks both. I think the summary I got from that site was:

X10 has bigger sensor which helps performance
G12 can go down to ISO 50 which helps performance in tests
P7100 does well, and only scores worse really because physically smaller sensor, and lack of ISO 50.

The site makes reference to competition gets tough for the p7100 with the introduction of inter-changeable lens compacts, but I've already said the interchangeable lens camera's aren't really "compact" or "out the box usability" enough for me.

I do worry somewhat about the P7100 sensor not being the best, though I'm not sure what the "sports / low light ISO" score refers to on that site? I'd imagine the lower ISO the better (like with image quality), but it might perhaps be a "score", which means it's low light performance is the weakest. Would appreciate clarification on this.

Many thanks for your continued attention guys and girls

cymroDan
29 Jan 2013 - 2:35 PM

I think I'm going to settle on the p7100.

I do like that camera's like the x10 offer a bigger aperture at the telephoto end of the lens, but that comes at the trade-off of having a lens that is permanently sticking out an inch or so from the body. For me, this affects the portability of it quite a bit. The same reason why the Olympus EPMI isn't really an option for me.

So I will lack the low light performance when optically zoomed, as well as a larger sensor, but I think it'll still produce great photographs and matches my needs a little more so. I wan't a manually controllable camera, that is the least burden to carry with me and "worry about" getting damaged (knocking the lens, or how it's sitting in my rucksack etc).

cymroDan
29 Jan 2013 - 3:17 PM

Order placed at WEX for 229 (with 4.58 cashback through quidco) for the P7100, with the leather case included.

Thanks all for your support, input, and knowledge!

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 3:22 PM

Quote: Lawbert - WEX are still doing the p7100 for 229 with the case.. which still tempts me haha. How are you finding it these days after a month of use?

The prices a month on for everything seem about the same,
Nikon p7100 - 229

I bought a P7100 for 230 but not from WEX, I can vouch for it Dan. It won't be around for ever so you may want to think about getting one before they all sell out.

JP

Im relieved your pleased with the P7100 JPSmileSmile

Im more than happy with it Dan, Its a very capable camera and a bargain for the money IMHO, The case is very sturdy to which is another thing to consider if its going to be in a rucksack etc.

I would have probably gone with Pauls excellent advise an gone for the X10 and Ive learnt alot about smaller sensor sized cameras from Mr Morgans excellent knowledge and linksWinkSmile

But budget was budget and Im in no way regretting the P7100 at all...In fact Im enjoying having a half tidy compactSmileSmile

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 8333 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 4:35 PM

Hi Dan. I'm selling this if you're interested. I've stuck it on ebay and am hoping to get around 250 for it. Have a look at my portfolio and you'll get a good idea of the quality of the imaging.

Cheers.

Bob

cymroDan
29 Jan 2013 - 11:27 PM

KingBee, sorry that's not the sort of camera that met my needs. Thanks though.

Lawbert, yes I was looking for an x10 bargain, but really when it was almost 50% more expensive, and the less rawbust camera shape to just chuck in a bag or pocket, I just thought "stuff it, the p7100 will not be bad at all, and I've got my d7000 for the few shortcomings of the p7100. If prices were the same, and body shape wasn't an issue for me, I would have considered other options.

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 4:23 PM

As a note if you register the P7100 online then you get a 2 year warrantySmile

Come on Canon (and other manufacturers) another years warranty above the standard 1 is a great ideaSmileSmile

Paul Morgan
31 Jan 2013 - 5:39 PM

Quote: Come on Canon (and other manufacturers) another years warranty above the standard 1 is a great idea

Olympus have been doing this for years, I thought two years was standard in the EU.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.