Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Any D800 users reading this ?

23 Jul 2012 5:26PM
Got some Duracell Compactflash media that work on my D3.... but not on my D800.
Now I have heard great things about 7dayshop branded media. Anyone use them in their D800 ? Are they ok ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

edtaylor e2
3 104 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2012 6:05PM
I have a D800 and get all of my cards fro 7day shop. I am using Lexar Professional 1000x (150mb/sec) 16gb compacct flash and Lexar Professional SD in the other slot. I have not founf any cheaper any where else. I went for the Lexar as they have a very fast download speed and a large card due to the large MB the camera can save the photos in.
Graysta e2
9 1.1k England
23 Jul 2012 8:55PM

Quote:Got some Duracell Compactflash media that work on my D3.... but not on my D800

So have I
Dump it and go Sandisk or Lexar to be honest the Duracell worked on & off on the D700 and never has worked on the D800. I've had mine replaced by 7day but still the same, Mymemory where almost giving Sandisk & Lexar 8Gb away last week at prices that made the Duracell look expensive.
You dont need massive speed with the D800 because it's not an incredible frame rate but you do need loads of space.
23 Jul 2012 9:15PM
You can check out the cards Nikon have tested on any Nikon DSLR at
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26795/kw/Memory%20card
My D800 has no problems with my Lexar and Sandisk cards.
Graysta e2
9 1.1k England
23 Jul 2012 10:02PM

Quote:My D800 has no problems with my Lexar and Sandisk cards.

Niether has mine but it dont work with the Duracell card
24 Jul 2012 7:42AM

Quote:Neither has mine but it dont work with the Duracell card

All I can suggest is learning from experience and, as Graysta suggested, stick to leading brands. Ideally they should previously have been tested by Nikon if buying new.
It is a shame your Duracell cards do not work in your D800, or as suggested do not work well in a D700. On the other hand as Lexar and Sandisk work whatever the problem is is likely to be the Duracell card rather than the D800.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
24 Jul 2012 8:01AM
I have a cheap Duracell card that I have used with the D700, which I only use if I run out of memory space ( once in a blue moon) its so slow to write to, if I do a burst, I've sometimes thought the camera had locked up - so I can only imagine what it's like with files 3x the size.

I don't think it's as much the manufacturer, but the write speeds - after all there are only so many card manufacturers, far fewer than there are brands.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Jul 2012 10:41AM
Mine are all Sandisk (but the full range of speeds, depending upon how long ago I bought them) so I can't really comment.

But I must say that I tend to use the SD slot as the primary card and the CF slot only as "overspill" which I rarely reach. Even the cheapest Sandisk "Blue" SD cards work perfectly in the D800.
3 Sep 2012 9:06AM
Hi, bought a couple of Kingston 8 gig elite pro CF cards, no go in my new D800 work perfectly in my old D300.
You would have thought that being a main Chip maker like Kingston they would be fine.
Yet cheap cards like Hama CF class6 16gigs work ok.
I notice the page on Nikon has now gone about CF card compatabilit, I smell a firmware upgrade!
Just checked Nikon UK they say Sandisk/Lexar only as I said though cheap Hama cards ok, only as last resort.
If unsure check on Nikon UK.
I use SD card for primary slot now very fast SD's are available and far cheaper than CF.
Cagey75 e2
3 42 Ireland
26 Oct 2012 9:21AM
All Sandisk 90mb/s here.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
26 Oct 2012 4:13PM
There is a very full comparative review of dozens of CF and SD cards in this month's NPhoto.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.