Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Any Double Glazing Experts out there ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Taxboy
Taxboy  12197 forum posts
29 Sep 2012 - 7:13 PM

We're about to move house and the new property will require the old sliding patio doors replacing with uPVC French Doors. Before I do battle with the double glazing salesmen is there anything I need to look out for or are most of the companies much of a muchness. I know I need a FENSA company so I can have the certificate after installation

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Sep 2012 - 7:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
29 Sep 2012 - 7:16 PM

hard to know who the rip off merchants are these days

jembo
jembo  10104 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 - 7:39 PM

Just beware of how thick the UPVC profiles are. Check with the sales people. My mom had the same done and the room was a lot darker because of it. Nearly 1/3 of the width was UPVC uprights.
Think about how wide will the opening for the doors be. Then there has to be an upright each side for the doors to fix on to. And you will have the uprights of the frame at each end of the whole window, which will probably leave a very narrow window either side the opening doors. These narrow panes may be too small to have an opening upper window if wou want (additional) ventilation (when you dont want to open the doors).
My mom had it ripped out and a better quaity aluminium (white coated) sliding door installed instead.

Good luck.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
thewilliam
29 Sep 2012 - 8:00 PM

When I saw the title of this thread, I assumed that the OP was looking for a reasonably priced filter for a lens with a large front element!

Taxboy
Taxboy  12197 forum posts
29 Sep 2012 - 8:43 PM

Quote: When I saw the title of this thread, I assumed that the OP was looking for a reasonably priced filter for a lens with a large front element!

That would be simples in comparison Grin

Pat_Stones
29 Sep 2012 - 8:47 PM

Everest used to say "you only fit double glazing once, so fit the best". What rubbish that turned out to be, I know lots of people who are onto their second lot Smile !

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
29 Sep 2012 - 9:03 PM

I just went through this with my front door. As far as uPVC concerned they were all as ugly as each other and you had to deal with a slimy salesman for all of them. In the end I went for wood with these guys. Looks total class but twice the price of plastic,

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
dcash29
dcash29  81904 forum posts England
29 Sep 2012 - 9:03 PM

I wouldnt touch safestyle Uk with a barge pole

Find an installer by word of mouth and look at their past work

REHAU is a decent profile

saxon_image
29 Sep 2012 - 9:26 PM

No idea where you live but if in the south these guys have a good product and excellent after sales service - and no pushy salesmen.

Paul

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2012 - 10:53 PM

Quote: Find an installer by word of mouth and look at their past work

Always the best way.
Stay well clear of the big boys where a good percentage of the cost is in administration and where you might well find the fitters are on contract.

The frames of UPVC windows/doors are substantial compared to timber to ensure they have strength that however cuts down the glass area compared to timber.

Profiles have improved over the years however cambirder is so right where front doors are concerned, they look terrible.

The glass units bear much of the cost with UPVC and where the failure (misting) is mainly due to moisture breaking down the seal. The units should sit on spacers that allows the water to drain away easily.

Timber would of course be more aesthetically pleasing and more expensive not forgetting that they do need maintenance keeping an eye on the bottom rails which is where all the water goes.

It would pay to ask around while checking those in the area who have a website or a listing.

The FENSA website might help for your specific area.

For ventilation if warranted then you can have trickle vents fitted.

Last Modified By KenTaylor at 29 Sep 2012 - 10:56 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110236 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2012 - 10:59 AM

Another point to consider is to go local if possible.

We have a local supplier and fitter who built our conservatory and has done a lot of work for us since then (we can't afford to do all the window in one go so are phasing the work).

They are within 2 miles of us, so if there should be any problems (none so far) I know exactly where to go for redress. They have kept the same team of salesman, surveyor and installers over the 10+ years we have dealt with them and are always helpful, efficient (and clean up after themselves Smile )

and yes, we got them via word of mouth recommendation

icphoto
icphoto  131345 forum posts England
30 Sep 2012 - 11:41 AM

Do not use Everest at all costs - overpriced and c**p workmanship. As most have said go local, the small guys are your best bet, most offer an insurance Guarantee so if things go pear shaped with the company you can still claim.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2012 - 12:09 PM

Quote: most offer an insurance Guarantee so if things go pear shaped with the company you can still claim.

I think you will find that any insurance against bankruptcy doesn't exist. Product and service, yes
The first in the queue is the HMRC while the customer is last if there is anything left Grin

Its essential that any fitter is insured otherwise they are putting all their assets at risk. If they are not then you wont see their heels for dust in the event of an accident.

In the early days of UPVC windows there were cases where no lintels were fitted resulting in cracking of the brickwork above the window that had no strength and began sagging., hence the introduction of FENSA.

PinkK
PinkK  580 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2012 - 2:21 PM

We are about to have all of our windows replaced in a couple of weeks. We went with a local company who have a fantastic reputation. Ok, time will tell if we have made the right choice, but they weren't pushy, didn't phone us countless times and are just genuinely nice people...not often you can say that about a double glazing company. They're also a member of DGCOS, which has given us a piece of mind

http://dgcos.org.uk/

Last Modified By PinkK at 30 Sep 2012 - 2:22 PM
Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2012 - 2:58 PM

Make sure that they are "internally glazed" ie the glass is inserted from inside the house. That way would be burglars can't easily remove the glass.

Fitted from the outside, the glazed units are easily removable with a garden spade.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.