Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Any good tips for a newbie?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7237 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    30 Sep 2006 - 12:29 AM

Looking at getting my first D-SLR, seen a lot of tips on lens 1st body 2nd, I am looking at mainly lanscape photography & also holiday snaps, so a GP lens would be handy for on trips (dont have to cary lots of lenses with me)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Sep 2006 - 12:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139368 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Sep 2006 - 12:33 AM

A basic question: what are you hoping a DSLR can provide that your present camera doesn't?

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7237 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    30 Sep 2006 - 12:36 AM

Looking to get more into the creative side rather than point and shoot, my current camera has some manual settings, but I've found them to limiting, so have decided to take the plunge

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139368 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Sep 2006 - 12:40 AM

Spend on lenses not camera bodies would be the first bit of advice.

Get as good a set of lenses as you can afford and then see what sort of body you can afford to go with them!

Newbies often get it the wrong way around - quite understandably - and are sometimes disappointed.

Sus
    Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Sep 2006 - 12:49 AM

second CB. Get one lens to start off with - the f1.8 50mm is cheap and highly recommended and you will never regret it. If you then want to do landscapes, one of the telephoto zooms. I got a body with a 50mm lens rather than the kit lens, and am so glad I did.

Juliee
    Juliee  7382 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Oct 2006 - 5:03 PM

What about buying lenses used,ebay etc..?
    Is that a very big risk if you don't have a huge amount to spend? Even the budget lenses seem to cost a bomb.

Juliee
    Juliee  7382 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Oct 2006 - 5:03 PM

What about buying lenses used,ebay etc..?
    Is that a very big risk if you don't have a huge amount to spend? Even the budget lenses seem to cost a bomb.

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Oct 2006 - 5:13 PM

My experience is that Ebay often costs as much as a used camera dealer, but you get no back up if it goes wrong about 2 weeks after you buy it. Some good stuff, some bad stuff.

keith selmes
    2 Oct 2006 - 9:05 PM

I'd rather buy used from ebay than from a mail order dealer.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.