Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Any good tips for a newbie?

30 Sep 2006 12:29AM
Looking at getting my first D-SLR, seen a lot of tips on lens 1st body 2nd, I am looking at mainly lanscape photography & also holiday snaps, so a GP lens would be handy for on trips (dont have to cary lots of lenses with me)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
30 Sep 2006 12:33AM
A basic question: what are you hoping a DSLR can provide that your present camera doesn't?
30 Sep 2006 12:36AM
Looking to get more into the creative side rather than point and shoot, my current camera has some manual settings, but I've found them to limiting, so have decided to take the plunge
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
30 Sep 2006 12:40AM
Spend on lenses not camera bodies would be the first bit of advice.

Get as good a set of lenses as you can afford and then see what sort of body you can afford to go with them!

Newbies often get it the wrong way around - quite understandably - and are sometimes disappointed.
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
30 Sep 2006 12:49AM
second CB. Get one lens to start off with - the f1.8 50mm is cheap and highly recommended and you will never regret it. If you then want to do landscapes, one of the telephoto zooms. I got a body with a 50mm lens rather than the kit lens, and am so glad I did.
Juliee 8 382 4 England
2 Oct 2006 5:03PM
What about buying lenses used,ebay etc..?
Is that a very big risk if you don't have a huge amount to spend? Even the budget lenses seem to cost a bomb.
Juliee 8 382 4 England
2 Oct 2006 5:03PM
What about buying lenses used,ebay etc..?
Is that a very big risk if you don't have a huge amount to spend? Even the budget lenses seem to cost a bomb.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 5:13PM
My experience is that Ebay often costs as much as a used camera dealer, but you get no back up if it goes wrong about 2 weeks after you buy it. Some good stuff, some bad stuff.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 9:05PM
I'd rather buy used from ebay than from a mail order dealer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.