Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Any help greatly appreciated

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tinkerb
tinkerb  4 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2010 - 8:03 PM

Hi I want to start doing portrait photography as i love taking pictures of people. But i dont know where to begin i have a Nikon D40 with a 18* 55 and a 55*200 lenses. Im on a budget and not sure how to go about making a home studio i have a small house so needs to be put away ive looked a jessops home studio lighting for under 200 any good ?? but also im not sure what to do for background eaither. Any advice would be great Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Aug 2010 - 8:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

timbo
timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Aug 2010 - 8:19 PM

for starters forget about buying lights. Take portraits outside against interesting backgrounds - rusty tin huts or graffiti coated walls etc. Look at how the light falls on your subject, try to get it coming in from the side (you will have to wait for certain times of the day). If you must do it indoors then try using a window to light your subject. Light is light and you don't need to splash out straight away on expensive gear.

tinkerb
26 Aug 2010 - 8:32 PM

thanks for the advice that has given me some great ideas

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2010 - 8:42 PM

A reflector is a cheap way to make the best use of sunlight. Use it to bounce light back on to your subject when they are backlit, or to light up shadowy areas and throw a little light up from below if the main light is coming from above. Tin foil or a sheet of silvery/gold wrapping paper, or simply a large piece of white card is even cheaper.

Geraint
Geraint  8715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2010 - 8:52 PM

Good suggestions so far. I learned by using window light. Buy one of those 5-in-1 reflectors on Ebay - they only cost about 10. See how the light defines a person's features and how bouncing light back onto the shadow side affects this. WIndow light is beautiful light and can be very flattering.

col.campbell
26 Aug 2010 - 9:29 PM

More ideas without the need to shell out.

If you want soft, diffused light, try net curtain or tracing paper/ similar (yet to try it myself but those are tips I picked up somewhere along the line, probably from someone on this site).

For variety, also experiment with 'unusual' (for portrait) focal lengths. Try the 18-55 at 18 and photograph from a high or low viewpoint, close to the subject.

Last Modified By col.campbell at 26 Aug 2010 - 9:31 PM
tinkerb
27 Aug 2010 - 7:52 AM

thanks for the great advice will def give them go Smile

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2010 - 8:56 AM

If the weather is too bad to go out, you can experiment with just table lamps - preferably something like an anglepoise lamp. They will generally have low power bulbs in, but you do not need expensive equipment to start.

Another cheap alternative are those halogen lights from places like B&Q, they cost under 10 each, and you can modify the light with reflectors (card sheets, foil - try scrunching it up first then opening it out again and sticking it to card), brollies (pale coloured, point the light into the brolly and away from the subject to allow only reflected light on to the subject), diffusers (net curtain, tissue paper etc)......

You can even modify the light falling on the subject by moving the lights closer or further away.

For a backdrop, why not just use an ironed sheet hung over your existing curtain rail? (close the curtains first!).
You can also get a couple of yards of material and spray paint splatter patterns of your colour choice. Using heavier fabric, you can paint both sides differently.

There is no reason why people need to rush out and spend big cash on setting up a studio, when it can be done for less than 20.

The only limit is your inventiveness!

gaelldew
gaelldew  7275 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Aug 2010 - 2:00 PM

One idea but means shelling out but under 100, get a Nikon 50mm prime great for portraits.

Gordonsimpson
27 Aug 2010 - 2:41 PM

I would agree with the prime 50mm lens. Since I got one for my basic Sony a200 the photos of people are so much sharper, even in low light.

tinkerb
27 Aug 2010 - 4:39 PM

thanks for the advice on the lense we were looking at another lenses but there so many hard to know what to get. but def look into that lense
i am also asking family members to be my guinea pig's for the experince from what i read some of the photography courses are not worth doing but building up experience and portfoil is a better way ?

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2010 - 10:26 PM

I would suggest learning about light before rushing out and buying a new lens.

Use your short zoom at 55mm and work with that. True, it isn't a killer lens, but when the sharpness of the picture becomes the main issue rather than the lighting, posing or composition, then worry about the glass. The only advantage would be the wider aperture, but you can push the ISO up a couple of stops to compensate for this.

You don't need to spend money to take photographs as you already have what you need.
Look at famous photographers' pictures and try to work out how they are lit, how they are posed and why you like/dislike them. Think about how you would like your pictures to look and play around with lighting, but make notes as you go.

Always focus on the eyes, and the rest will follow.

clicknimagine
28 Aug 2010 - 8:56 AM

start with a 50 mm f/1.8 prime lens not much costly but the result is great, the advice of reflector for window light portrait is also a great combination...

Last Modified By clicknimagine at 28 Aug 2010 - 8:59 AM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72332 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2010 - 9:24 AM

I would say that the lens you have already will do the job just fine - no need for another 50mm just yet...
The idea of a 5-in-1 reflector system is great - very useful.
Once you get to a point when you want to use flash, there is a very cheap(30), but reliable brand called Yongnuo on ebay.
They make cheap flash guns for most makes of camera. They also make a cheap radio flash trigger called RF-602, which allows you to fire your flash gun away from the camera, giving you lighting that is more flattering to your subject.

Graflex
Graflex  11488 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Aug 2010 - 9:08 AM

All sound advice,Tinkerb.
The word cheap always came into my vocabulary,what you can throw into a camera bag with a couple of spare batteries is the perfect way to conduct photography.
Too much time is spent contemplating ones navel-or in otherwords pouring over equipment,go for the jugular,learn the techniques and lighting.

Show me a good portrait and frankly I couldn't care less what camera it was taken on,could cost 10 quid out of the junk shop all I care.

Go for it..get the practice in...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.