Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

any idea how this was done??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AliceLuisePhotography

on behalf of a fellow photography student just enquiring if anyone knows how she can recreate this type of photograph? Or how it was done, as we are unable to find any information on the photographer.bokeh-photography-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Mar 2014 - 11:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
    11 Mar 2014 - 11:56 AM

Fairly simple business. You need:
    1. Large Christmas decoration made of glass and broken in pieces;
    2. Glass ball;
    3.Mirror;
    3 A few pointy sources of colored light.
    Then you stick broken pieces of mirror glass from the decoration on the glass ball with whatever ( maybe just water). put it on the mirror, set your camera on a tripod in macro mode and light up the scene with lights.
    Having done that, take a few shots and off to the Photoshop/Lightroom/etc you go. Make it real contrast and pump up the colors.
    Don't expect getting the same result though - light and edges patterns will be different. But all the exercise must be a great fun - I might try it one day myselfWink

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 11 Mar 2014 - 11:58 AM
    mikehit
    mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2014 - 12:10 PM

It looks to me like they have used a polarising lens - you can get similar results with clear plastic cutlery, a light table and a polariser rather like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lIlL-ibwOlA

AliceLuisePhotography

My friends has tried using a light bulb and spraying that with spray mount then rolling it around in broken glass, and then placing it on a light box, problem we shes having is getting the vibrance and the sharp focus outlines and also the clarity of the glass. Any ideas?

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2014 - 12:45 PM

Quote: My friends has tried using a light bulb and spraying that with spray mount then rolling it around in broken glass, and then placing it on a light box, problem we shes having is getting the vibrance and the sharp focus outlines and also the clarity of the glass. Any ideas?

Sharp outlines on a 3d shape like this might be the front to back sharpness, so either a smaller sensor and/or a smaller aperture should be used. Vibrancy in poor light will be compromised (the small aperture will make this worse) so you will need to add more external lighting to make sure your ISO is the lowest setting it can be - probably ISO100 for max dynamic range. Initially just add lots more light and use a faster shutter speed if hand held.

lemmy
    lemmy  71874 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Mar 2014 - 12:56 PM

Quote: getting the vibrance and the sharp focus outlines and also the clarity of the glass. Any ideas?

Judicious use of the the Curves facility on Photoshop will help.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43922 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2014 - 3:36 PM

Quote: It looks to me like they have used a polarising lens - you can get similar results with clear plastic cutlery, a light table and a polariser rather like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lIlL-ibwOlA

Wrong Youtube link, Mike...can't see a polarizing lens on that bloke's so-called muscles. LOL!

mikehit
    mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2014 - 4:08 PM

YOW! The cut didn't work for the paste. Blush

It should have been this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plastic+cutlery+polariser&source=lnms&...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.