Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

any idea how this was done??

on behalf of a fellow photography student just enquiring if anyone knows how she can recreate this type of photograph? Or how it was done, as we are unable to find any information on the photographer.bokeh-photography-1.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Mar 2014 11:56AM
Fairly simple business. You need:
1. Large Christmas decoration made of glass and broken in pieces;
2. Glass ball;
3.Mirror;
3 A few pointy sources of colored light.
Then you stick broken pieces of mirror glass from the decoration on the glass ball with whatever ( maybe just water). put it on the mirror, set your camera on a tripod in macro mode and light up the scene with lights.
Having done that, take a few shots and off to the Photoshop/Lightroom/etc you go. Make it real contrast and pump up the colors.
Don't expect getting the same result though - light and edges patterns will be different. But all the exercise must be a great fun - I might try it one day myselfWink
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2014 12:10PM
It looks to me like they have used a polarising lens - you can get similar results with clear plastic cutlery, a light table and a polariser rather like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lIlL-ibwOlA
My friends has tried using a light bulb and spraying that with spray mount then rolling it around in broken glass, and then placing it on a light box, problem we shes having is getting the vibrance and the sharp focus outlines and also the clarity of the glass. Any ideas?
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2014 12:45PM

Quote:My friends has tried using a light bulb and spraying that with spray mount then rolling it around in broken glass, and then placing it on a light box, problem we shes having is getting the vibrance and the sharp focus outlines and also the clarity of the glass. Any ideas?
Sharp outlines on a 3d shape like this might be the front to back sharpness, so either a smaller sensor and/or a smaller aperture should be used. Vibrancy in poor light will be compromised (the small aperture will make this worse) so you will need to add more external lighting to make sure your ISO is the lowest setting it can be - probably ISO100 for max dynamic range. Initially just add lots more light and use a faster shutter speed if hand held.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Mar 2014 12:56PM

Quote: getting the vibrance and the sharp focus outlines and also the clarity of the glass. Any ideas?

Judicious use of the the Curves facility on Photoshop will help.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
11 Mar 2014 3:36PM

Quote:It looks to me like they have used a polarising lens - you can get similar results with clear plastic cutlery, a light table and a polariser rather like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lIlL-ibwOlA

Wrong Youtube link, Mike...can't see a polarizing lens on that bloke's so-called muscles. LOL!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2014 4:08PM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.