Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

any info on the canon 5D mk l

Dado 5 64 1 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2012 10:59PM
I would like to know what users think of the 5D mark l as regards to image quality and how well does it handle ISO say above 400iso,
I am thinking of buying one after making a reasonable offer price for it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Scottelly 2 35 United States
30 Aug 2012 1:29AM
It works fine Dado, but frankly, you would be better off shooting with a Canon Rebel T4i or T3i. They do higher ISO, video, and they have fold-out screens, so you can get more creative/flexible with your shooting. I still have a 5 D. It is a good camera for what it is, but frankly, it does not have live view, video, or excellent high-ISO performance (compared to today's cameras). It did/does produce excellent results though, and if the reason you want it is because of its big raw buffer or the large optical viewfinder, I suggest getting it. I don't think you will regret the decision. If you can get a Nikon D700 though, I suggest that is a better buy, even for a few hundred more. It has much better high-ISO performance, takes old AIS lenses, and is weather sealed (the original Canon 5 D is not weather sealed, though I have used mine in light rain and at the beach very many times, and never had any troubles related to water).

Many of the photos in my site are from my Canon 5 D. It performs quite well up to about ISO 1600, where I would normally stop. The Nikon D700 performs about as well at ISO 6400 as the 5 D performs at ISO 1600. There is much more to know, but remember that you can print up to and including 20x30 inches with ISO 400 photos from the 5 D, with excellent, finely detailed and virtually noise-free results. I have done so myself.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 8:30AM
I'm a little confused by some of the comparisons above. The major distinguishing feature for the 5d is the full frame sensor - ask yourself whether you need this above any other feature. The image quality in my experience is fantastic (although it's an older camera this does not mean that this quality stops).

In terms of noise I am a fussy bugger who often finds that reviewers can be over optimistic in terms of what is acceptable. With the 5d I never liked to push things beyond 800 - although the reviews if I recall suggested it could go higher without trouble. I certainly didn't use it often at 1600, but on occasions it was ok.

So in short it's an old technology (as these things go) which is capable of producing fantastic results.

Regards,

Adam
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 10:32AM

Quote:If you can get a Nikon D700 though, I suggest that is a better buy, even for a few hundred more. It has much better high-ISO performance, takes old AIS lenses,
For a few pounds you can get an adapter which allows putting Nikon manual lenses like AIS on a 5D. I don't though, mine usually has Zeiss Contax manual lenses on it. It will take M42 as well, and Leica, and all sorts of others, via cheap adapters.
On high iso, I would now consider iso 400 a normal everyday setting, and 800 is OK. The odd occasion I've gone above 800, I don't recall any problem, but I don't usually need to.

On image quality, it's always been very highly rated, and being superseded by newer models doesn't make it any worse.
I haven't seen any point in upgrading. The full frame sensor does make it more useful for wide angle than the smaller sensor options, as it doesn't need such a wide angle lens to achieve the same result.

If someone considers buying a 5D, they probably aren't too concerned about video. As a side note on that, I use a GH1 for video. I like having the fold out display, but it often isn't practical, and I normally use the EVF. A DSLR doesn't have an EVF, so I haven't felt video on a DSLR would be very advantageous. I know they are used for professional video, but where I've seen how it's done, it is in very controlled situations with a lot of ancillary equipment.
Niknut e2
4 673 64 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2012 4:06PM
If you can get one at a reasonable price, then go for it !!!.......the results are exquisite for a 12 mgp full-frame DSLR !!!!

I usually shoot at ISO 200/400.....& occasionally at 800.....no problems at all !!.....test shots at 1600 looked OK to me, & any noise
problems can be processed out anyway.........

Good luck !!.Smile
1 Sep 2012 3:15PM
Very informative info thank you to all, I will be buying a 5D mk1 today.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
1 Sep 2012 4:05PM
It was good in its day, still capable but your just as likely to get the same or better results from a new entry level dslr.
1 Sep 2012 5:13PM
Thanks Paul
I like canon camera and have a stack of canon gear, besides what other entry level canon is full frame.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
2 Sep 2012 1:06AM
All dslrs and compacts are full frame.
tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 1:25AM
For a long time i admired the 5D of a friend of mine who i used to shoot with, oneday he upgraded to the 5DMK2 and made me an offer i couldn't refuse on his MK1, else i doubt i would have been able to afford one, this is going back a year.

if the price is right Buy It.....you won't be disappointed. i upgraded from a Nikon D70s and difference in image quality is very noticeable, especially if i need to crop a section of an image.

A gorgeous camera and very enjoyable to use, i still havn't explored it fully and i know it is the only camera i'll ever need.

you know you want it so buy it

go on and do yourself a favour

buy it!!

Terry.
2 Sep 2012 3:00AM

Quote:All dslrs and compacts are full frame.

it sounds as though you really know you stuff Paul (if only) LOL
Niknut e2
4 673 64 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 4:26PM
GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin !!!!
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
2 Sep 2012 4:31PM

Quote:t sounds as though you really know you stuff Paul (if only) LOL

Well compared to some of the stuff I use that 5D has a hugely cropped sensor Smile

People need to stop thinking in terms of full frame, we now live in the digital age.

I think you will be better of using a fisher price camera with your attitude.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Sep 2012 5:35PM
^^^^^^^^^ Grin ^^^^^^^^^^

Right on the money Paul.

Wink
2 Sep 2012 6:29PM

Quote:t sounds as though you really know you stuff Paul (if only) LOL

Well compared to some of the stuff I use that 5D has a hugely cropped sensor Smile

People need to stop thinking in terms of full frame, we now live in the digital age.

I think you will be better of using a fisher price camera with your attitude.

Maybe you should be telling the camera manufacturers this info not me, I was led to believe that cameras like the 10D, 300D, 20D, 40D and so on had cropped sensors and the camera that I am interested in had a equivalent to a full frame sensor ie: 35mm.
as for Mike Otley he must have had the same teacher as you.
BTW who is Fisher price are they a member on this site.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.