Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

any info on the canon 5D mk l

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4395 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 4:52 PM

She stood too close !!!!!!!.WinkSmile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Sep 2012 - 4:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dado
Dado  564 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 8:49 PM

Brilliant Niknut ha ha ha

Last Modified By Dado at 3 Sep 2012 - 8:50 PM
montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2012 - 11:23 AM

Quote: She stood too close !!!!!!!.WinkSmile

PMSL - excellent

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4395 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2012 - 3:38 PM

Glad to see someone else is on the same 'wavelength' !!!!.WinkGrinGrin

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2012 - 7:26 PM

Quote: Glad to see someone else is on the same 'wavelength' !!!!.WinkGrinGrin

Your comment made my day. I've been laughing at it all afternoon. Every time I thought about it I just had to laugh. A great punch line

Niknut
5 Sep 2012 - 4:16 PM

GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin !!!...you've got me at it again now !!!........sure beats being a miserable bugger !!!!!!.Wink

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
5 Sep 2012 - 5:10 PM

Quote: Maybe you should be telling the camera manufacturers this info not me, I was led to believe that cameras like the 10D, 300D, 20D, 40D and so on had cropped sensors and the camera that I am interested in had a equivalent to a full frame sensor ie: 35mm.
as for Mike Otley he must have had the same teacher as you.

It's a legacy thing. Most camera manufacturers' marketing departments and camera retailers are still thinking from the basis of 35mm film. By that criterion, a digital camera with a sensor the same size as a 35mm frame is termed 'full frame', and smaller sensors are often referred to as 'cropped'.

However, this is a completely arbitrary point of reference. Is there any particular reason why the size of a digital sensor should have to be referred to in terms of a completely different imaging technology? Of course not - it's only because potential customers moving from 35mm to digital are more likely to understand the equivalent sizings. But as the number of people who have never used 35mm increases, the term 'full frame' becomes increasingly meaningless. As Paul Morgan said (and Mike Otley agreed), any sensor size is arguably full-frame.

Dado
5 Sep 2012 - 5:44 PM

So what your saying is that a buyer should say I would like a Digital camera with a small or big sensor and therefore should not be saying I would like a Digital camera with a cropped or full frame sensor.
I know when certain subjects come up and questions are asked some people turn into experts and indifferences will go on and on.
BTW why this post has come to this point of interest is beyond me as I only asked what info regarding image quality and the 5D camera in general , I already new it had a big sensor 23.9 x 35.8mm to be exact.

mdpontin
5 Sep 2012 - 6:18 PM

Quote: So what your saying is that a buyer should say I would like a Digital camera with a small or big sensor and therefore should not be saying I would like a Digital camera with a cropped or full frame sensor.

No, I was simply pointing out that far from being silly or ignorant, or whatever it was you seemed to believe, Paul and Mike were making a valid point. I couldn't care less if people want to refer to "full-frame" (referring to 36x24mm sensors) from now until judgement day! Enjoy.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 5 Sep 2012 - 6:20 PM
GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 4:48 AM

Quote: No, I was simply pointing out that far from being silly or ignorant, or whatever it was you seemed to believe, Paul and Mike were making a valid point. I couldn't care less if people want to refer to "full-frame" (referring to 36x24mm sensors) from now until judgement day! Enjoy.

Just as well, as I don't reckon the '35mm equivalent' measurement is likely to disappear any time soon. It was a reference point even in the days of pure analogue, when larger format lenses would often be explained in 35mm terms.

That aside, it's quite simply an untruth to suggest that the 5D is outgunned by a modern 'smaller sensor' camera, as far as such things are measurable. In most instances it isn't matched, and in part because of that quite big sensor.

Maybe if ephotozine stalwarts could occasionally make a point without glib conjecture it'd be useful?

mdpontin
6 Sep 2012 - 9:57 AM

Agreed. However, given that this is a public discussion, you can always expect to receive some answers which you may personally feel are unhelpful. Not to mention completely off topic! They may be unhelpful to the OP, but that doesn't mean that they're not helpful to some others reading the thread. Maybe the best response is just to ignore the seemingly unhelpful, "glib", or off topic. There are usually plenty of "helpful" answers too. We all have to take the rough with the smooth.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 2:22 PM

Hi , Opinions to one side for a moment here are some facts , we currently use 5D2s for our wedding work and started out with 5d mk1 s aswell then upgraded , before getting the 5d2s we tested out both the 50 d 500d and 60d and when i say tested i mean bought and returned and NONE of them produced the quality of the sensor in the 5D1 so we decided to take the plunge and replace all with 5D2s , the 5D1 still outweighs entry level cameras and to say otherwise just means you havent tried it ...

Dado
6 Sep 2012 - 3:02 PM

This is getting better by each comment, truly amazing and to think how some members reject the 5D mk1 , probably like pulsar69 said they may not have used one yet.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214391 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 3:30 PM

I don`t think anyone here has rejected the 5D, If think we have all claimed it to be very capable.

I`ve used a 5D and even came very close to buying one at some point quite a few years ago.

Quote: That aside, it's quite simply an untruth to suggest that the 5D is outgunned by a modern 'smaller sensor' camera

In many cases it is, it would be madness to suggest otherwise.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 6:59 PM

Nope sorry Paul its not outgunned by smaller sensor modern cameras and in some ways the 5D mk1 is testament to just how little advancement has been made in real terms of the sensor and quality of the shot , many things have improved , video , sound , lcds , features , but the chip in the 5D is still comparable and better than most of the beginner and inter cameras on the market now it was also quite capable up to 1000 -1200 iso and after that dropped off a little but having used some of the modern entry levels they struggle to produce ' real world ' shots at iso 1000 , and I dont mean test charts and set ups - I mean real world low light shots ...

On the downside and the reason we upgraded , the poor lcd screen on the 5D1 really is no help , the battery life is poor so needs 3 or 4 batteries and the iso is limited to 1600 after which its useless , if you can live with those things then it is pound for pound the best camera on the market still . If someone would like to tell me a camera for 500 quid than can beat it would be interested to know ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.