Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

any info on the canon 5D mk l

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 7:18 PM

Just for an example here is a shot from the 5D mark 1 at ISO 1250 .....
http://www.andrew-davies.com/5d1%20high%20iso.jpg

and you will see noise is present but so is the detail from that full frame sensor

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 6 Sep 2012 - 7:19 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Sep 2012 - 7:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 7:20 PM

Quote: Nope sorry Paul its not outgunned by smaller sensor modern cameras and in some ways the 5D mk1 is testament to just how little advancement has been made in real terms of the sensor and quality of the shot

There have been huge advancements is sensor technology in the past 7 years.

Back then the sensor size averaged between 6 a 8 mp and noise would often start showing at ISO 400 or less, back then the 5D had clear advantages.

Quote: iso is limited to 1600 after which its useless

Today most of the 1600 iso and above images from pretty much any entry level camera will be usable.

Dado
Dado  564 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 7:57 PM

Quote: Just for an example here is a shot from the 5D mark 1 at ISO 1250 .....
http://www.andrew-davies.com/5d1%20high%20iso.jpg

and you will see noise is present but so is the detail from that full frame sensor

still a stunning image though,what lens did you use.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 8:12 PM

that was with a canon 100mm 2.8, and Paul , sensor size is really not all that - people still dont use photos more than A4 or A3 and sometimes no more than 7x5 or facebook so the advancement in sensor size isnt really that big a deal and having used a canon 60d and 7d they both struggle after 800 in real low light never mind 1600.

For me as technology moves on and with all its bells and whistles the really important thing is to be able to bag the shot in ever more difficult circumstances , in some ways a bigger sensore and more pixels defeats the objective. There are times when my 5d2 and 1.2L struggle in low light so i wouldnt mind moving to the 5d3 , but those times are very few and dont justify the cost. If a camera can shoot at higher iso WITHOUT sacrificing quality then that gives me more shutter speed and i can bag more lower light shots , however the advances in software in cameras and cheart techniques rather than real advances in high iso capability mean some of todays cameras are still shocking performers in the iso field and some of yesterdays performers are the best the 5D1 D700 and D3 spring to mind . will they be beaten , yes eventually but im not convinced its happened yet ..

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 6 Sep 2012 - 8:18 PM
GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2012 - 8:29 AM

You can see noise starting to appear at 400 ISO even in a 5D if you stare at the file at point blank range, but at base ISO I don't think I've seen such clarity from any camera—difficult to gauge since modern cameras are unerringly of a higher resolution (plus ACR and LR became 'sharper' by default, so noise has become more immediately apparent for users of those apps).

Files from the 60D/7D are totally different league to first-generation DSLRs, for sure, but even the old dinosaur cameras were okay providing they were used within their limitations (800 ISO was the limitation, I think - tons of chroma noise lurking in every shadow—not so easily treatable by the raw processors of the time).

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.