Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Any low-light photographers out there?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Finntastic
    18 Jan 2013 - 2:18 AM

Hi there! I recently got in to low-light and night-time photography. I do art photos mostly, and I've enjoyed the subtle colors and textures of low-light photography. I have been taking some pictures in a dimly lit warehouse, for example. I may post a couple sometime.

For me, my favourite lens to use for this is my Canon EF 50mm. I love the fact that it goes all the way open to f/1.6!

What are your favourite lenses in low-light conditions? In particular, I'm wondering if anyone uses Tokina products. . . . How high do you usually set your ISO?

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 18 Jan 2013 - 1:12 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jan 2013 - 2:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022998 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 8:05 AM

I usually do squidoo-all low light photography

MichaelMelb_AU
    18 Jan 2013 - 8:14 AM

I like to take images in low light - which extends from the sun being close to horizon well into the night - and opposite in the morning. Moonlight gives some interesting opportunities too - as well a s street lighting:
    dscf1722.jpg
    Indoors photos come into this very broad category too. And because it is so broad - it is real hard to say what hardware is best to use. I would think that fast lens is a must with indoor portrait and in the dusk/dawn. In the night though the camera must be put on a tripod and optical quality of the lens becomes second to the sensor ability to capture the clean picture, with good colours/sharpness and minimal noise. Anyway , I am not shy experimenting in low light with every camera I have, from film oldies through compacts and superzooms (see above) to DSLRs. More often than not the images I get are not exhibition quality level, but i like them anyway - they look great on my PC/TV and in small print.
    Have Fun!

User_Removed
    18 Jan 2013 - 9:14 AM

Quote: Hi there! How high do you usually set your ISO?

For night-time hand-held street photography, I get perfect results with ISO 6400.

For light-painting, etc., using a tripod, ISO is not important, other than to allow out-of-normal shutter speeds if required.

User_Removed
    18 Jan 2013 - 9:36 AM

I rarely shoot anything other than low light as I'm a theatre photographer. As such, my go-to lenses are 70 - 200 f2.8 and 28 - 70 f2.8, attached to a brace of D3s'. As for ISO, I go as high as is necessary, given the lighting conditions coupled with the need for handholding and shutter speed being fast enough to cope with rapid movement. Some days that can be as low as 2,500, other days I need all of the 12,800.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022998 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 12:52 PM

This is nothing but a link gatherering click through trawling spam thread. Unless hhmarketing proves me wrong.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 1:17 PM

Welcome to the site, please don't use it as a board to just post links to your own site. This is a great community where we encourage you to join in and be informative here. Do that and you're very welcome Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.