Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Any monitor recommendations?

newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2008 8:33AM
I'm looking for a decent monitor for a PC that gets used regularly but only occasionally for photo editing. My budget for this doesn't stretch to a true 'pro' monitor such as an Eizo but I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for LCD monitors that would still be decent for photo editing around the 200 mark (i.e. that can be calibrated to do a decent job of representing print output).

20-22" widescreen would be ideal.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa e2
12 2.0k United Kingdom
22 Jul 2008 8:43AM
most 200 TFT monitor have very average image quality and lots of them suffer from banding in areas of subtle changes of colour/tone
hollkj e2
10 196 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2008 8:48AM
Dell ultrasharp 20" widescreen + mount comes in at around your budget. Always found the dell ultrasharps to be excellent.

link

Kevin.
newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2008 8:52AM
Thanks folks. I realise I'm probably not going to get something top quality for that money but just wondered if anyone had found anything better than average. It's not going to be my main machine so I can't justify a huge budget.

I'm prepared to blow the budget slightly and/or go slightly smaller on the monitor size if there's anything out there that's considerably better for photos.
hollkj e2
10 196 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2008 8:55AM
Blowing the budget slightly then the 22" dell ultrasharp is another recommendation Smile

Kevin.
newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2008 8:59AM
Thanks - just had a look on Dell's site and they're definitely on the shortlist.
walnutboy e2
7 102 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2008 10:59AM
I did a bit of research into the same kind of thing about six months ago, and the one that came out consistantly well in the magazines was a Hanns-g model. It might be worth picking up a few magazines next time your in WHSmith to see if this is still the case, but mine was a 22" for about 150. It's a great monitor, but by no means anywhere near pro spec.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.