Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

any one tried Yongnuo

love_photo Junior Member 4 8 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 4:56PM
hi not been around for a few years as i didnt have much time as i was moving from primary to secondary school and then i almost forgot about this site Sad but im now doing GCSE photography Grin

any way i am shooting for my cousins wedding in i think april 2013 and am thinking about investing in a new flash and am keen on trying some off camera flash work i think its called slave? and i saw the brand Yongnuo and thought that for 40-50 quid its too cheap to be any good so thought better stick with nikon and just shell out the extra 150-200 quid but thought i shall try to who has tried them what they think so decided to try on here! obviously for a wedding it must be bright enough and consistent and reliable and well built also i would not only be using it for this one wedding and them letting it collect dust on a shelf it would need to be used for years in the future! so any one got an opinion or even better any one own a Yongnuo and a real nikon speedlight?

oh by the way my camera is Nikon D70 Tongue

Thanks Ed

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

17 Dec 2012 5:26PM
also about a nikon sb-400 any good will it work with my camera or will it fry what about off camera wok with this will any Yongnuo fry my camera or be un-suitable for off camera work?
17 Dec 2012 5:32PM
Yongnuo YN560 II Flash Speedlite i have a few of them ones they are manual only, work perfect for my needs and no problems so far. They also have this version now Yongnuo YN-565EX i-TTL which will be easy to use if you can't handle working in manual mode.

Both of the above will not fry your camera.

Forget the sb400.
17 Dec 2012 5:46PM
when you say manual what does that include having to do? and will either of them be suitable for off camera flash work will i need something like this or will it work on its own, do they have in built infa red sensors and if they do di i have to purchase a separate transmitter to go on my D70 hot shoe??????
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 6:19PM
I've been using a pair of Yongnuo flash triggers for nearly 4 years and they utterly reliable, they have not once missed a beat.
17 Dec 2012 7:10PM
i reckon i may pay off the 30 quid i owe my dad and then treat my self to a Yongnuo early in the new year as my birthday is exactly 1 week after Christmas Tongue hopefully have a few months to play with it before the wedding maybe even set my self up with a wireless hot shoe trigger and mess about with that! will report back how it all goes Grin
17 Dec 2012 7:11PM
any idea what model i should get that is similar to the nikon sb-800 or even the new nikon sb-910
steveh5 3 78 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 8:23PM
I have 2 YN460 mk2 and a SB800 for my nikon D80. As Gareth said they are manual so you have to set the power. They will work off a cable as they have a pc socket, off radio triggers (i use Ishoot), off the built in flash and of course on the camera hot shoe. Only had them a couple of months but find they are reliable and easy to set up. The 460 has no ttl but as I use my SB800 on manual as crowds can fool the ttl meter, so no ttl makes no difference.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 8:24PM
Just search ebay for Yongnuo TTL flash, for Nikon.
I think Pixel Knight make TTL flash triggers for Nikon but I'm not sure.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
17 Dec 2012 9:11PM
There flash is excellent for the money, the recycle times are slower than Nikon flash, but ideal for off camera stuff, where you will be in manual anyway ( unless you can get Nikons CLS to work, but then only with something like the SB900). You will need triggers - I use Yongnuo RF602s but they have been super ceded by the RF603. Not had one problem with either the flash or triggers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yongnuo-RF-603-3-PCS-wireless-flash-trigger-Nikon-N3-for-D90-D5000-D5100-D7000-/150957471510?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item2325c43716

For Yongnuos full range of flash and triggers take a look at their web site (even have some that supposedly recognise Nikon CLS ( that's a change since last time I looked)

http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-ourproduct.php?category=1.Flash
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Dec 2012 10:34PM
great flashes - use them all the time, they just work....
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 11:34PM
Got one Yongnuo flash and several of their triggers, fab value, reliable, recommended.
duratorque 11 413 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2012 5:52AM
I've been using Yongnuo YN565EX (the Canon version). It has the same power output as a Canon 580EX, but for about 100. It features full TTL and wireless slave (in TTL and manual control). It is a bargain compared to the Canon flashes. Build quality is good. The only thing it can not do is act as a wireless commander or high speed sync, which I never use. They make a version for Nikon that supports CLS.
Lucian 4 561
18 Dec 2012 11:36AM
My yongnou ha 565 has went faulty after 4 weddings. Im not happy like and i dont know where to contact as its under warranty.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
18 Dec 2012 11:54AM
Its strange Lucian (James ???) must be the unlukiest guy on EPZ nothing seems to work for him

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.