Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Any real benefit in a Mac?

jimbouk66 6 13 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2008 3:23PM
looking to uprade my computer setup to either a high end laptop or pc.
Never used a mac so would appreciate a bit of clarity regarding what benifits if any does the imac / macbook offer over windwos based kit ?
Thanks in advance

Jim

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2008 3:26PM
It gives you a feeling of false security?

Grin
17 Oct 2008 3:27PM
If you have always used a PC you need to decide whether you can afford the learning curve you will have in moving to a Mac. Also, you will need to buy all your software again (if it is available that is).
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
17 Oct 2008 3:27PM

Quote:It gives you a feeling of false security?

....and a very real feeling of smugness. Smile
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
17 Oct 2008 3:30PM
A mac is handy for keeping dry in wet weather. Wink

A good starting point here, but the best advice is to have a play with one, talk to people who know about them, and decide what you both want and need. Then decide which Mac is best for you! Wink
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
17 Oct 2008 3:31PM
Friday night, mac vs windows thread - we just need James to pipe up and this could be epic Smile
Remember, what you are buying is not so much the computer as the operating system.
Its mostly subjective so you should spend some time with a Mac to get a feel. Relative freedom from viruses and malware in general is nice. Things mostly 'just work' on a Mac in a way they don't on windows computer. No driver hassles.
Chris_L will be along shortly to dispute all of this.
SteveCharles 11 2.3k 18 England
17 Oct 2008 3:32PM

Quote:If you have always used a PC you need to decide whether you can afford the learning curve you will have in moving to a Mac

So that's 10 minutes taken care of...
SteveHunter 6 386 1 England
17 Oct 2008 3:33PM

Quote:Friday night, mac vs PC thread - we just need James to pipe up and this could be epic
I don't understand, do MAC's make your images look soft?
BubbaG2000 7 767 1
17 Oct 2008 3:38PM
All the graphics designers I know (both of them!) use a Mac and they swear by them. But they've been using them for years. I use a PC and other PC users swear by their machines too. What I really want to know is, should I buy a Nikon or a Canon Wink
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
17 Oct 2008 3:39PM

Quote:I use a PC and other PC users swear by their machines too.

Are you sure you don't mean "swear at them"? Wink
minelab 6 8 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2008 3:42PM
All I'll say is I've had my MAC G3 since 1999, it has NEVER crashed, NEVER failed or let me down. It runs Microsoft Word, Excel & Powerpoint effortlessly and Photoshop Elements brilliantly...lucky, perhaps? but during that time I have put three or more PC's in the BIN and that's the best place for them. As for the learning curve, my five year old daughter conquered the MAC in about 30 minutes, they are naturally intuative. Just my opinion of course.
17 Oct 2008 3:44PM
Warning - deja vue alert!!

Grin
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
17 Oct 2008 3:44PM
If your just using it for graphics editing and can afford getting your editing software in mac form then its nothing to lose out on. They have a massive diver advantage over windows as all the hardware is made by a single company as opposed to being sourced out to other companines (which makes it hell to programs windows for compatabilty)

The downside is so much is geard for the windows market. Like I said if this computer is for image editing and the odd email and word (or whatever mac use for text Wink) document than its fine -and graphically you might notice improved performance at a slightly lower spec/price.
However if you are often taking projects and things from a workplace computer home and working on them - ei intergrating with windows based computers on a regular basic or are also into other things (such as I am into computer gaming) then it might be best to stick with windows.
GaryR 7 1.3k England
17 Oct 2008 3:48PM
I took the plunge recently and bought a 24 inch Imac. It is a fantastic bit of kit and a pleasure to use. I was worried about learning how to use it, but it is really easy to get to grips with. The one downside is that software releases are really limited so think carefully about what you might want to run.

Gary.
Funkyfotos 6 33 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2008 3:49PM
I agree there is not that much difference in usability, a couple of keys in different palces and the X is on the other side of the screen. No viruses (i believe) are made for Macs as there is such a small percentage of them in the world it is not worth it. When you buy new hardware you plug it it and it works, itunes works seemlessly, and they look the part too!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.