Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Any tips for an amature bird photographer?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Leightonhs
    Leightonhs e2 Member 7155 forum postsLeightonhs vcard 1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2007 - 6:51 PM

Hello I'm Leighton,

I've just bought myself a sigma 70-300 apo zoom lens and was wondering if anyone knows any good techniques, tricks or tips that they can give me. I have no tripod at the moment and getting one soon, plus I've got a canon eos 350d if that helps.

Thanks for taking your time to read this, any good advice will be much appreciated.

-Leighton.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Feb 2007 - 6:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

da_nige
    da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
    9 Feb 2007 - 6:56 PM

Hi again Leighton

Best tip? Get out there, find where the birds are and persevere. Its all about knowing where the birdies are. For example a year ago I had no idea where to find a Kestrel or Buzzard locally. Now I know where to go to be guaranteed shots. Once you know their behaviour and routine its all about setting up a hide or just trying to get closer

Neil

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014647 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2007 - 6:58 PM

Most wildlife are creatures of habit. Study their patterns and spend time near or in their territories to become accepted. Try not to stress them, and remember, you're a visitor.

The 70-300 is a bit short, but with proper stalking techniques you should do alright. Good luck.

Leightonhs
    Leightonhs e2 Member 7155 forum postsLeightonhs vcard 1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2007 - 10:47 PM

Thanks, will definately give it a go!
    Neil- I ended up buying that sigma -but from ebay brand new I got it really cheap-thanks for your help previously!

-Leighton.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
    10 Feb 2007 - 12:48 AM

Are you an amateur photographer, or are you photographing amateur birds ?

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85908 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Feb 2007 - 9:58 AM

Quote: Are you an amateur photographer, or are you photographing amateur birds ?

Now there's a thought

Adrian

Leightonhs
    11 Feb 2007 - 1:46 PM

yeah, I'm photographing amature birds of course!

auldspider
    auldspider  10
    13 Feb 2007 - 2:20 PM

Hi Leighton,

I've got the same lens on my EOS300D.

I would say the most important thing is getting in close, the focal length on this lens is your limiting factor.
    A hide would help you achieve this.
    I've yet to build one for myself yet but its on the cards for this year.

Also just geting into the habits of your subject, will help you get some amazing shots..Predicting where your subject will appear is really important. This takes a lot of time and patience but its worth it in the end, because you can pre-set your camera and leave less to chance.

Hope some of this helps..

Auldspider..

francisr
    francisr  10165 forum posts
    13 Feb 2007 - 2:59 PM

Hi Leighton,

Shots of water birds are usually more effective when you are low down to the water, which means rummaging around in mud most of the time. So, don't forget the waterproof trousers.
    Good luck.

Francis

Davidmet
    Davidmet  9209 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2007 - 11:07 PM

I use the same lens and the 500 and even then have to get close so settle down and wait but it does help to load a couple of in range branches with peanut butter...They can't resist.
    Ps..Get a sturdy tripod.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.