Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Anybody heard of Kennett engineering?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MarkBowker
12 Dec 2008 - 12:43 PM

I've just picked up two cracking tripods from the local charity shop. One is a SLIK 88 which seems to be in fantastic condition with a firm head and smooth actions throughout. The other has no identifying marks other than a small sticker for Kennett engineering Company Ltd. It looks very similar to a benbo but is quite heavy and very well constructed. I'd love to know a little more about this one if anybody knows?

Either way it's the best 10 I've spent in a long while!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Dec 2008 - 12:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bangalicious
12 Dec 2008 - 1:06 PM

Just did a quick google search and it seems that they are a Structural engineering company. Are the tripods specially made camera tripods?

They may be an old range of tripod legs which engineers and surveyors use to determine site levels using laser guided levels.

Anil.

scotdiver
scotdiver  11260 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2008 - 1:32 PM

If I remember right Kennett were the original makers of the Benbo Tripod based on their experience manufacturing tripods for military equipment.

User_Removed
12 Dec 2008 - 1:39 PM

(That's where I've heard it before!) Been racking my brains on this one; convinced I knew the name but could position it. I'll sleep tonight now!! Grin

BOB S
BOB S  122622 forum posts
12 Dec 2008 - 1:53 PM

Slik 88 for 10 is a good buy, this was a classic tripod in its day and still a worthy bit of kit.

BOB

BOB S
BOB S  122622 forum posts
12 Dec 2008 - 1:57 PM

BenBo is short for Bent bolt, not a lot of people know that (in Michael Caine accent)

kaybee
kaybee  103767 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2008 - 2:04 PM

You certainly wont get a better deal in many a year ............... two great sets of legs for 10

mad-dogs
mad-dogs  122201 forum posts England
12 Dec 2008 - 3:43 PM

The original Benbo tripods have a black Kennett Engineering co. sticker on the centre leg and don't have the Benbo name marked anywhere.

The top legs are chrome as opposed to the newer versions which have black legs.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96214 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2008 - 3:46 PM

Quote: Kennett were the original makers of the Benbo Tripod

Spot on Smile
When the patent expired some of the guys set up UniLoc, which is why they are similar in design to the Benbo

Last Modified By JJGEE at 12 Dec 2008 - 3:47 PM
Tonyd3
Tonyd3  101009 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2008 - 4:56 PM

Quote: Quote:Kennett were the original makers of the Benbo TripodSpot on
When the patent expired some of the guys set up UniLoc, which is why they are similar in design to the Benbo

Actually it was when Paterson went bust that uniloc started making them, when Paterson restarted they still had the name so continued to make them they are still made in the Black Country in the UK by Paterson.

f8
f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2008 - 5:15 PM

Uni-Loc used be assembled and sold in Leighton Buzzard, (parts made elsewhere) they have since gone out of business, but can still be bought from Warehouse Express. 10.00 is a bargain as they (mine ) was in the region of 300.00.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
12 Dec 2008 - 6:22 PM

Quote: Uni-Loc used be assembled and sold in Leighton Buzzard, (parts made elsewhere) they have since gone out of business, but can still be bought from Warehouse Express. 10.00 is a bargain as they (mine ) was in the region of 300.00.

Where did you hear that? I visited the Uniloc 'factory' a year or so ago. It was a one man and his dog operation to say the least.

f8
f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2008 - 7:53 PM

The Uni-Loc outlet at Leighton Buzzard was run by an foreign dark skinned gentleman who bought out Camera Hayes of Bletchley and another shop in London. You are correct that it was a one man operation. When I visited on the two occasions I had to make an appointment to get in. The person who actually built the tripods only assembled them the engineered parts were made elswhere. The reason I said they went out of business was because the telephone and web page did not function.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
12 Dec 2008 - 11:38 PM

Quote: The Uni-Loc outlet at Leighton Buzzard was run by an foreign dark skinned gentleman who bought out Camera Hayes of Bletchley and another shop in London. You are correct that it was a one man operation. When I visited on the two occasions I had to make an appointment to get in. The person who actually built the tripods only assembled them the engineered parts were made elswhere. The reason I said they went out of business was because the telephone and web page did not function.

Thanks for the response. The man you refer to was I think Indian though I am sure he had a South African accent. Some items were shipped to India to be finished. Paint was poor, finish not to Japanese levels, but the basic design was good. I think the web site was working a few months back. I remember being told by the man I met that his son was creating a new web site. Here it is:

http://www.uniloctripod.com/

It is all a bit amateurish in appearance.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123851 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2008 - 10:10 AM

The concept of the Benbo was excellent for example being able to erect it in almost any circumstance or walking through a dubious area with the tripod on a strap it looks like a Kalashnikov gun; it is a shame that they weren't made to last; the rivet holding the handle soon broke leaving me to make another handle for the tripod and after a few years use the threads on the bolt sheared.
They also made a monopod which certainly hasn't broken again handy in less than welcoming areas, also holds a camera stable.
Having said that I recently picked up another tripod for a song so I will see how long this one lasts.

Last Modified By peterjones at 13 Dec 2008 - 10:14 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.